HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:59 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
I've been running the Zippy Compact 500mah 35c's and so far they are great. Only downside is I had to order the from the China warehouse which will take 3 to 4 weeks. I've also got a Hyperion 450mah 25c that works well but the 35c Zippy's do have more punch. Both the Zippy's and Hyp's flight times are 6 minutes with plenty to spare. With 5 batts i can fly all day and not push them very hard at all. Both of these are very close in weight to the stock batts. I've read on hear that a lot of guys run the Thunder Power in something around 370mah that work really good for 3D.
I'm running both zippy compacts 500mah 35Cs AND thunder power 325 mah 65C. They're both excellent ,, the TPs are quite a bit lighter and makes the plane a little better at slow speed and a tad more responsive and a tad punchier, but not by a big margin IMHO,, you'll get about a minute shorter flight time with the TPs. So it just depends if your willing to spend more money for the small improvement in performance
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:11 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
I'm running both zippy compacts 500mah 35Cs AND thunder power 325 mah 65C. They're both excellent ,, the TPs are quite a bit lighter and makes the plane a little better at slow speed and a tad more responsive and a tad punchier, but not by a big margin IMHO,, you'll get about a minute shorter flight time with the TPs. So it just depends if your willing to spend more money for the small improvement in performance
I'm running the 370mAh Nanos that must be a little heavier than the TP's. But I still can't get it to balance at 40-42mm. It's about 5mm behind that. The plane is a little squirrely. It will keep a nice heading at a moderate pace, but get it slow or below stall and it wants to go every which way. Feels tail heavy?

So, where does your plane balance with the TP's?
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:32 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,163 Posts
Just back from FL trip only got to fly the QQ for 8 batteries but had a ball showing off for the family. Managed to cartwheel it in some fairly long grass doing a KE and broke the stock prop and knocked the motor mount loose. Couple of dabs of hot glue and a APC 7x4 Slow Flyer prop and all was good again. I like the APC much better than the stock prop. Can't find a GWS 7035 so you all must be hogging them up. Didn't think I would like this little bird so much but it is great. It may even replace my 3DHS 48" Edge as my favorite plane. 22 flights so far and no problems except the dumb thumbs cartwheel.
MARCOELDRAGON is online now Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:19 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I'm running the 370mAh Nanos that must be a little heavier than the TP's. But I still can't get it to balance at 40-42mm. It's about 5mm behind that. The plane is a little squirrely. It will keep a nice heading at a moderate pace, but get it slow or below stall and it wants to go every which way. Feels tail heavy?

So, where does your plane balance with the TP's?
Your gona think I'm REALLY dumb!!! But I just put the TPs at very front of battery compartment,, and I put the zippy compacts 500 35c at the very back. On my scale the Zippys weigh 15G more than the TPs ( about 1/2 oz )
When I fly with either pack,, I have elevator perfectly level with 0 trim , and flying inverted requires zero elevator compensation
I think it WILL be a little more squrrelly with a rearward CG. When I first started flying the edge I had Zippys ALL the way fowArd ,,CG measured at that time within E Flite specs,, but gradually I kept moving it back more an more with better an better results. Hope this helps. :-)
I know my CG now IS quite a bit further back than reccomended ,, I think about 46mm back. You want me to check it???
Last edited by Airman74; Jan 03, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:37 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,061 Posts
Quote:
I know my CG now IS quite a bit further back than reccomended ,, I think about 46mm back. You want me to check it???
If it's convenient sometime. Don't go out of your way, like get up from the couch and head into the hobby room! My CG is right at 47mm. I'd be very curious about yours. I need no elevator for inverted either.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:43 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
So here's my measurements : with my 49G 500mah 35c zippy compacts ALL the way back in battery compartment I'm getting a CG of 47mm back,, and with my 325mah Thunder power 325mah 65c ALL the way fowArd in battery compartment I get CG at 47 mm back
I AM in my livingroom,,, but I LOVE this kinda stuff!!! No problem!!
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:48 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
I had a guy at our field fly my edge set up this way,, he normally flys a 3DHS 41in edge and a 51 in slick,,, he commented that my Edge did indeed feel very squrrelly compared to his bigger 3DHS planes,, but once he got used to it he liked it. :-)
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:49 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Maybe some more expo????
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:04 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Tracknoob, they sell replacement parts! You could get her back up for ~$60!

Also, got an Edge from batch #2 today....
ESC does not get hot while in standstill
Motor mount has glue
Plenty of power from the motor
Prop adapter not loose
Velcro in the battery tray didnt come out when i removed the battery
Spinner spun true
One wing didnt go on easily...they need to work on that...well I guess its no biggie.
No fingernail marks in the foam
Much better paint job!

HH USA musta called HH China and said HEY! Fix it!

Much more impressed!
Allthough the motor made this horrible clicking sound when i turned it by hand, and a horrible sound while under power, a drop of bearing oil in each bearing solved that problem
Maiden scheduled for tomorrow!
Alex
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:16 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,061 Posts
Quote:
I had a guy at our field fly my edge set up this way,, he normally flys a 3DHS 41in edge and a 51 in slick,,, he commented that my Edge did indeed feel very squrrelly compared to his bigger 3DHS planes,, but once he got used to it he liked it. :-)
Thanks, Airman! You got up off the couch! I really appreciate it.

Our CG is identical. My favorite plane just happens to be my Slick 51! That plane tracks incredibly well, so maybe that's what I'm looking for.

I don't think expo will help. I don't think I'm over-controlling. In fact I think it's just the opposite. My reflexes just aren't up to it yet. I'll be harriering along and suddenly it takes a right... a big right, like 90 degrees... and I'm left catching up and getting it back. But if I fly at a moderate speed it all starts tracking really well.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:57 AM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Dec 2009
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Just back from FL trip only got to fly the QQ for 8 batteries but had a ball showing off for the family. Managed to cartwheel it in some fairly long grass doing a KE and broke the stock prop and knocked the motor mount loose. Couple of dabs of hot glue and a APC 7x4 Slow Flyer prop and all was good again. I like the APC much better than the stock prop. Can't find a GWS 7035 so you all must be hogging them up. Didn't think I would like this little bird so much but it is great. It may even replace my 3DHS 48" Edge as my favorite plane. 22 flights so far and no problems except the dumb thumbs cartwheel.
How are you mounting the APC prop? What adapter?
jbusick is offline Find More Posts by jbusick
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:12 AM
Joined Sep 2011
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Tracknoob, they sell replacement parts! You could get her back up for ~$60!

Also, got an Edge from batch #2 today....
ESC does not get hot while in standstill
Motor mount has glue
Plenty of power from the motor
Prop adapter not loose
Velcro in the battery tray didnt come out when i removed the battery
Spinner spun true
One wing didnt go on easily...they need to work on that...well I guess its no biggie.
No fingernail marks in the foam
Much better paint job!

HH USA musta called HH China and said HEY! Fix it!

Much more impressed!
Allthough the motor made this horrible clicking sound when i turned it by hand, and a horrible sound while under power, a drop of bearing oil in each bearing solved that problem
Maiden scheduled for tomorrow!
Alex
That's fantastic news. Once I hear more reports of this, I might consider this plane :-)

Tom
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:02 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbusick View Post
How are you mounting the APC prop? What adapter?
Stock prop adapter with the metal washer spacer thing removed from the stock spinner back plate then prop and stock nut. Didn't look like it would work. Leave the APC bushings off the prop and it will center perfectly on the metal washer spacer thing even though the hole in the prop is bigger than the prop adapter shaft while you tighten the nut. Can post a picture latter if you need to see it.

Also for those in need twisted hobbies still has gws 7035 in stock or at least they were still in stock as of right after my previous post. I ordered 2 and 2 of their 3s 450 batteries to try.
MARCOELDRAGON is online now Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:20 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Any idea on what the amp draw with the slow fly prop is? I really like these for my profile foamies, but was afraid they would draw too many amps for this one. They have a lot more blade area and typically draw more amps than equivalent regular electric props. I'd love to try one, but don't have an ampmeter set up to read these little setups.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:03 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Today started as kind of a bad day. Was flying my MiniUltraStick, and after a couple of uneventful, fun, batteries, I was doing some low inverted flying across the field.... at the end, I decided to half loop out instead of roll out... I'm sure you know the rest... I slowly put in elevator... the wrong way... and rather than a sharp rapid reversal and correction, I just thumbed in more and more, slowly, even though altitude I was flying at was maybe 25 feet high... power-on nose-dive into the field. The good thing is it was pretty repairable -- just firewall and motor mount damage, a bit of damage to to the inside of fuse. I did not want to mess with it though, so gave fuse to flying buddy, he was very happy and will have it flying in a day or two.

After all, I have the Edge 540 QQ!

I was on my fifth joyous battery of slow flying, fast flying, high flying, low flying, rolls, tumbles, spins... I was doing a power-off nose down spin from way up... was just about to turn throttle on and effect recovery when WHAM from my left comes a Popwing and just chews my little Green Machine up, and spits it out in multiple pieces, cascading to the ground!

Victim of the rare mid-air, and of course, was no one's fault, just one of those things.

I looked it over and collectively it's just too much damage to try to repair. Went to LHS to buy a replacement plane and they are out, so it might be a bit before I get a new one, but I will replace it -- too good a plane not to have in the fleet.

At least now I'll have spare motor, prop, servos, ESC, radio etc. (unless I use them all for a little 3D foamie someone gave me that needs to be equipped....)
Sorry to see that damage

You can get a new FUSE at:
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/store...+280+BNF+Basic

Better Price at GravesRC:
http://www.gravesrc.com/E_flite_Fuse.../efl625001.htm

and of course GravesRC has many other spare parts that you might be interested:
http://www.gravesrc.com/SearchResult...x=0&Search.y=0
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member