Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdomification View Post
I'm wondering what kind of skill level you need to be to handle this plane. If my first aerobatic plane was the UMX Sbach 3d, would I be able to handle this plane? Obviously I wouldn't be able to do much with it, but on low rates with aerobatics, do you think it would be possible?

Cheers,
Tom
If you can fly the Sbach then you can absolutely handle this plane and I'd go so far to say that you will love it. For general sport flying I'd even venture to say that it will be easier than the Sbach. This plane is very floaty so you can cruise around at half throttle all day long if you want.

However... If you're looking for something to learn 3D on this isn't it. For 3D flying I'd say that this plane is better for someone who is already comfortable with basic 3D and is confident enough to thrash just about any plane. I'm not saying it can't be done though. My point is that this isn't a 3D trainer. It is a gnarly little guy that will bite you if you're not ready for it. For basic 3D like harriers and hovers... No big deal though.
+1 If you can fly the Sbach you can fly the Edge. Also completely agree on the 3D comment. Turnerm hit the nail right on the head.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,482 Posts
If you are going to update to the HURC, please be sure to double check the grub screws holding the round shaft into the motor mount!

I flew my Edge 3 perfect times this AM, and while it was on the bench, a friend just bumped the prop, then wiggled it, and told me "Hey, you've got a loose motor here"...

Sure enough, it was wobbly. I wondered if my firewall or it's hardware had come loose, but no, everything I did was still perfect, but the one thing I did not touch were those two hex screws and they were both now MISSING! They were definitely there when I installed the motor, but I did not check or torque them.

The only think keeping the motor in place was the wiring and the front of the cowling, so I sure dodged a bullet on that one today!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:06 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
Quote:
I lost my tail wheel today. What replacement are you guys using? I just resorted to doing hover catches but I'd like to have a tail wheel back on there.

Here's a quick video of some flying this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5IF...ature=youtu.be
I agree. With others nice flying, you must got ur eleator n rudder holes closer to inside then i did i do not have that much movement. Did you put longer servo arms also??
Nice ke n inverted harriers i not got enough stick time with it yet norany nice weather to video maybe this week sometime
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:10 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Stock battery? Really?? It did well.
I hate eflite but i think those be fine for this plane, all 3 of my. 25c batts have way then enough power the ones complaining about need more power i dont get it.
It has way more punch then my last aj slick had with a power480 motor. It crawled out of hovers but this edge screams out of em.. turnem video pretty much proved it ill get some video with mine even at 9.2 ounce a 850 25c nano

Well i dug in my parts box found could long hs55 arms and installed on my tail now im getting some movment.... my rudder is not hinged straight i get more right then left but now it should fly much better

It still amazes me the plane was designed by qq, manufached a few him im sure along with maybe 3-5 more? Beta tested thought was ready for release yet here were all mod it to death to make itfly great? Lol makes no sense..... i think turnem and myself be better beta testers then whoever was the beta testers i think we both along with slofly could gave some great input on the model
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Last edited by epoweredrc; Dec 16, 2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:18 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
220 Posts
The only thing i don't like about the eflite batteries is the price! I got 3 nanotech 460's for the price of 1 stock eflite lipo
Flew the edge this morning , it was a little breezy but no gusts. It was actually quite fun to surf the breeze almost at a standstill. It's an amazing plane and sounds great when punch the throttle for a fast vertical climbout.
I agree just as easy to fly as the sbach 3d if not easier.
Cheers
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:25 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Well did my maiden today! Decided to just use the stock prop and see how it went....wow it's the worst prop ever! Anything above about 1/2 throttle it gets so deformed its just making noise. Also, after I got home and checked out the prop the grub screws were not very tight but don't think they were slipping. I was pretty pleased with it sometimes I wish it had as3x just so I don't have to work so hard in the wind! I think 100% throws and 60% expo puts it around the same feeling as the Sbach 3D with 100% throws and no expo. I love the fact its so floaty I wish my sbach was more like it.
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:33 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
It's been raining the last 2 days so i got some painting done. It will look better once the red bull stickers get here from thailand.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Last edited by slo-fly; Dec 16, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:47 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
It's been raining the last 2 days so i got some painting done. It will look better once the red bull stickers get here from thailand.
Very nice!! You're right - that thing will look suweeeet when you get the Red Bull stickers on there. Can't wait to see it.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfisherman View Post
Nice flying! a modded beast 3d main wheel is nice and light. .
anyone have a pic of the wheel mod as used on the tail?

I thought of doing this a few weeks ago but the beast main wheel hub is too wide--and I coudln't figure out how to trim the axle part of the hub to make it narrower.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:39 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
370mAh nanotech

Hi all,

was out today with my 370mAh packs from nanotech. I have to say wow, these packs are great and the Edge flies perfect in calm conditions.
I also got up to 125% Dual Rate on Rudder and Elevator and she was 3D ready
-
These higher throws aren't good for classic aerobatics and make the Edge very nervous in the air- therefore I will set the 3D values on seprate switches-seems this will be the best solution !
-
My motor is a beast, with GWS7035 she goes vertical endless
-
Weather conditions are still bad here, I hate winter season and looking forward to better days where I can make a video for you
-
Last but not least....this Green Machine is awesome, I can't stop flying, it's like a virus and I'm glad to have nine packs in my pocket
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy85 View Post
Well did my maiden today! Decided to just use the stock prop and see how it went....wow it's the worst prop ever! Anything above about 1/2 throttle it gets so deformed its just making noise. Also, after I got home and checked out the prop the grub screws were not very tight but don't think they were slipping. I was pretty pleased with it sometimes I wish it had as3x just so I don't have to work so hard in the wind! I think 100% throws and 60% expo puts it around the same feeling as the Sbach 3D with 100% throws and no expo. I love the fact its so floaty I wish my sbach was more like it.
danny, this is also my review. You have to change to GWS7035 and you will say "wow"
I have 60% Expo on Aile and 50% on Elevator...Dual rate 90% Aile and 100% Elevator...these are my classic aerobatic values. For 3D is have 125% on Elevator and 100% Aile..Expo 50% Aile and Elevator.
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:53 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Hi all,
-
Last but not least....this Green Machine is awesome, I can't stop flying, it's like a virus and I'm glad to have nine packs in my pocket
Yes it's a very addictive plane! I've got 6 packs, 3x 460 nano and 3x 350 overlander.
Just got a 6x parallel charge lead with balance adapter so i can fly non stop
I flew my beast 3d after the 540qq, well i'm fast going off the umx planes, the 540qq has spoilt me
I'll be looking for more planes this scale now.
What would be amazing is a "Beast" or a pitts in any colour scheme! Even pink
OK not pink but any other colour ( You listening Horizon/Eflite guys) Just make me a Beast!!
Cheers
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:03 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
danny, this is also my review. You have to change to GWS7035 and you will say "wow"
I have 60% Expo on Aile and 50% on Elevator...Dual rate 90% Aile and 100% Elevator...these are my classic aerobatic values. For 3D is have 125% on Elevator and 100% Aile..Expo 50% Aile and Elevator.
I will play with the elevator throws before I take it out next. Anybody know what the size of the hex grub screws are? I don't seem to have a key that small. Also, what are you guys doing about the spinner just trim and balance? Or is there a better spinner out there that actually fits the 7035 prop?
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:05 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

was out today with my 370mAh packs from nanotech. I have to say wow, these packs are great and the Edge flies perfect in calm conditions.
I also got up to 125% Dual Rate on Rudder and Elevator and she was 3D ready
-
These higher throws aren't good for classic aerobatics and make the Edge very nervous in the air- therefore I will set the 3D values on seprate switches-seems this will be the best solution !
-
My motor is a beast, with GWS7035 she goes vertical endless
-
Weather conditions are still bad here, I hate winter season and looking forward to better days where I can make a video for you
-
Awesome!! Glad you're enjoying it Count!! I still remember seeing some of your awesome Sbach videos. Your precision aerobatic routines are awesome! I'd love to see what you're doing with the little Green Machine!!

I agree that full max throws aren't great on this plane for precision or sport aerobatics. I have lower rates for when I want to sport fly a bit.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:44 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,062 Posts
Quote:

I agree that full max throws aren't great on this plane for precision or sport aerobatics. I have lower rates for when I want to sport fly a bit.
And to solve this with expo, there'd just be too much expo?
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq