SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,332 Posts
Some crack yak fliers have been using the A10 9l on 3s with some serious power and no motor problems.
llbr22 is online now Find More Posts by llbr22
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:15 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
Just tested the hacker a10 9l on 3s with gws 7035, it pulled 122 watts and 11 amps, it pulled 16 ounces of thrust, that's 2 more ounces thrust than stock with 7035 prop and it still weighs the same. I'm sticking with the hacker! It should be fun at 13 ounces of thrust with AUW at 7.65 ounces on 2s.
Nice!!

I plan on testing out my QQ at lunch today with the new crazy elevator and rudder throws that I've got setup.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
Just tested the hacker a10 9l on 3s with gws 7035, it pulled 122 watts and 11 amps, it pulled 16 ounces of thrust, that's 2 more ounces thrust than stock with 7035 prop and it still weighs the same. I'm sticking with the hacker! It should be fun at 13 ounces of thrust with AUW at 7.65 ounces on 2s.
That's nice! Thanks for posting your results and answering my question. How is the motor temp after a 3S flight? This is an interesting option.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Nice!!

I plan on testing out my QQ at lunch today with the new crazy elevator and rudder throws that I've got setup.
Did you get your new motor (which one?) or fix the wire on the old one?
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:16 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Did you get your new motor (which one?) or fix the wire on the old one?
The new motor arrived today but I don't have it installed yet. I haven't even officially fixed the old motor yet. I just kinda bent it back into place and planned on flying very low and slow over tall grass.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Nov 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Did you sand down the hub of the prop? - You have to do this.
no you don't. see the hex shape recess on the front hub of the prop? it's there for a reason. the stock nut fits in there perfectly and screws down perfectly with a few threads left to spare.
you will have to enlarge the openings on the spinner where the blades come out if u want to use the stock spinner and have a perfect fit. the prop blades should not touch anything. not the spinner nor the back plate. just the prop hub against the spinner back plate and the prop nut. the hub wont even touch the threads of the prop adapter.
the hole in the prop hub is maybe 0.5mm larger than the the prop adapter threads and therefor the prop will not center properly just on the thread and that is why you should not sand down the prop hub and have the flanged part of the nut clamp down on the hub. you must have the prop center properly on the nut.

of course this is only if you want to do it properly and have everything perfectly centered and balanced for optimum efficiency. obviously the plane will still fly on a warped and unbalanced prop and some people will just fly it straight out of the box.
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:46 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,122 Posts
Da MAIDEN!!! My .02

Just flew 2 batts...yeah, not a bad lil model...she ain't no firebreather, but she does buzz along nicely....kinda like a bigger UM Sbach w/o the as3x?? lol

I'm neutral CG so when inverted, no down ELE needed.... and with the throws cranked way up by these long horns, man, she sure does wad up good...with that +45-deg ELE throw, I got in a few good end-over-end tumbles & flips (she does better using down ELE than up)...KE's were clean & easy, but I had less success getting her to lock into a hover (but then again I'm spoiled absolutely rotten by my Crack Yak Lite!!!)

So all in all, a fun lil plane

Gotta wonder how she'd do on 4S....
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:35 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,877 Posts
I got in some servo extensions.. This makes it easy to box it up and not have to unplug every time.. Takes just a minute to get it airworthy

Got the Sbach and the Edge ready for tomorrow
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,013 Posts
RCfishernan - I shoould have specified - if you want to use the propnut with washer toward the prop instead of turned around with the hex in the hub, you must sand down the front of the prop hub to have enough threads to thread nut on. Sorry if I mislead you or anyone else. My props fit well on the shaft and I have no problem with vibration. And yes, I cut out the opening in the spinner for the prop to clear. In the instance you quoted, I believe the response was to someone wanting to know about mounting the gws prop without putting the hex in the hub.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:00 PM
"Hey yall watch this"...
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
OT but lettin everyone about the new piper archer just released, looks like a good relaxing plane.
Planecraazy is offline Find More Posts by Planecraazy
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Just flew 2 batts...yeah, not a bad lil model...she ain't no firebreather, but she does buzz along nicely....kinda like a bigger UM Sbach w/o the as3x?? lol

I'm neutral CG so when inverted, no down ELE needed.... and with the throws cranked way up by these long horns, man, she sure does wad up good...with that +45-deg ELE throw, I got in a few good end-over-end tumbles & flips (she does better using down ELE than up)...KE's were clean & easy, but I had less success getting her to lock into a hover (but then again I'm spoiled absolutely rotten by my Crack Yak Lite!!!)

So all in all, a fun lil plane

Gotta wonder how she'd do on 4S....
There's a lot of difference in the aerobatic precision of the crack series and this plane. I have a crack yak, and it is fun, but no where near as precise.
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:58 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Got my new motor installed. Can't wait to get I'm a few flights tomorrow. In my bench testing I think I wasn't getting full power from my last motor. Tomorrow should be a blast!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:10 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,194 Posts
Put the HURC motor in, and loaded it up front with a drilled-out GWS7035 using an adapter I had lying around. I could have made my original spinner work by using a nut instead of the collet spinner, but can't lay my hands on the plastic original spinner right now. Not sure where I put it 'for safekeeping (don't you hate that?)

On the motor install, I did not bother with wattmeter or amps, just ran it up in my hand and the prop/motor combo sounds sweet and pulls strong in static!

We are not going to be flying from our little club grass field tomorrow, since a few of the guys with jets want to go to the hard runway at the local 'real' club.

I have half a mind to take the reconfigured Edge 540 QQ out there, anyway, for it's checkout, and just fly it off the hard top like it is a real airplane!

The jet-jocks and quarter scalers just might get their minds blown!

I guess I could have touched-up that scraped and bumped-up nose, but then, I figure a scar or two always add character!

PS - Oh, talk about serendipity -- I had been wondering whether to try to make my broken plastic mount fit somehow, make a new mount out of plastic or balsa, or what... wouldn't you know, I had a kit I'm building that included a motor box for either inrunner or another for outrunner -- the inrunner balsa parts went unused... which meant I had a perfect fit little mount, already laser drilled to match the HURC bolt pattern, and with it's ears perfectly sized to slide right into the existing tabs on the Edge foam firewall (once I glued two of them back into place). I know I said I'd use hot glue to install this motor, but in the end, I worried about my cheapo one-temp gun being too hot and melting this thin foam when the hot glue hits it. So I went with foam-safe CA instead, since the balsa mount was such a snug and big surface area fit into the existing space.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Dec 13, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:41 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Oh HELL yea!! New motor and greatly increased elevator/rudder throws and this plane is a freakin' BEAST!!

I'm now positive that my original motor wasn't giving me full power.

Loving this plane all over again!!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,877 Posts
I also noticed I have a bit more down elevator throw than up. I may drill another hole too and see how it is.. Got it in the trunk today with five batt packs.. Along with my ASbach3X and Logo 400. Hoping they all come home in the same condition they left the house!!
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer