Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
701 Posts
Found a dead ringer for the green on the Edge. It's FolkArt brand lime green acrylic enamel #4138. Picked it up at Walmart.
ForsheeMS is online now Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
My mrs said to me I'm not to buy any more planes

When asked what I want for Christmas I said she should buy me a plane!
She agreed

I was getting either one of these or an Sbach 3D. Final answer, this one!!

What is a popular battery choice for this?
Any suggestions?

Tony
I'm using the 460nanotech but there are also the 500 zippy compacts in the HK UK warehouse. I prefer both over the overlander.
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:50 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Remember from a few days back - you said you would give the hot melt a try this time. I think you'll find it makes a much more durable fix. On my flat foamy, even the flimsiest of props didn't help from breaking the epoxy fix apart. It saved some props though, but I'd rather replace props than reglue motor mounts.
Yup, definitely going w/hot melt.

Unfortunately looks like no one has the EFLM7010 replacement motor @ ~$40 (an outrage) in stock, and of course the shaft alone EFL625010 @ ~ $5 would have been super easy to flood out with the release of the product -- you know you will need shafts, right? So naturally, no one has that either -- it's back ordered.

And I'm not even sure what the shaft (or motor) comes with or doesn't include - but I don't see that tiny prop 'adapter' listed separately...

Guess I need to go back through the thread and find what people have already decided is a good aftermarket motor, even if I have to make my own motor mount.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm ordering the HURC motor previously mentioned. Including both the included prop saver and an extra collet adapter, it's still less than 1/2 the price of the unobtainable HH item.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Dec 10, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:55 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
Oh the guy i talked to didnt tell me that maybe i should call bk and give the ref. Num it gave me.
I called and he said to fill out the form online and he said i would be happy with the results.

Im almost to stage to try sell plane as is. Far i know rx,motor,esc are all fine but i have two batts for it and 4.new props and adaptor my luck i couldnt get $140 shipped for it. I really had no clue servos were so tiny i guess should got me a crack yak or something
Crack Yak servos are not any bigger, really. I have one, and those buggers were a PITA at first, until I swapped to something with a better gear train. I tapped the rudder on the ground first flight hovering and took the rudder servo gears out.
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:22 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy85 View Post
I'm using the 460nanotech but there are also the 500 zippy compacts in the HK UK warehouse. I prefer both over the overlander.
Yeah i'm gonna try the nanotechs ,I've got some 2s packs for the umx planes.
Overlanders were all i could find when i was looking a month ago
This plane took a while to hit UK shores. First impressions are, it was worth the wait
Cheers
mygeneration is online now Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:29 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Sweet!! I just drilled a new hole in my elevator control horn and added about 15 degrees of throw! Can't wait to try it out. I think this plane will be loads of fun with a little more elevator authority.

Thanks to epoweredrc for the idea!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:46 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,768 Posts
oh, i thought ppl used like htx500 or something on it thats what is on my 32" yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Sweet!! I just drilled a new hole in my elevator control horn and added about 15 degrees of throw! Can't wait to try it out. I think this plane will be loads of fun with a little more elevator authority.

Thanks to epoweredrc for the idea!
Nice! Glad i was able to help with one thing on this plane
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
Found a dead ringer for the green on the Edge. It's FolkArt brand lime green acrylic enamel #4138. Picked it up at Walmart.
awesome

now we are talking !
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:50 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Sep 2012
271 Posts
1st flight

New to flying have apprentice now this. 1st set up on my own. Missed the elevator reverse so nose in on ground stock prop gone. Put on new prop back to fly up and nice slow flying and ok landing in the snow no damage. Second flight good but landing went into snow bank bent landing gear all good. seeing how much fun this will be when i learn to fly better. Big thanks to all for your great information, made all the difference to get me flying especiall the 7035 prop. Thanks for all the info sharing makes a big difference for me being new to hobby.
carbow is offline Find More Posts by carbow
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:23 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Here's what happens when you pull 20 ounces of thrust with the edge! The park 340 ripped the firewall and some foam holding the firewall right off and snapped the firewall in two. The firewall exploded on a test spool up with 7x4E prop, luckily it was on the ground and I recovered all the pieces. I have a hacker a10 1700kv going in next for testing. The hacker motor pulls about 90 watts on a 2s with 8x3.8 apc slow fly. Maybe I can get the edge 7.5 ounces auw with 2s and hacker a10.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:26 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
here's what happens when you pull 20 ounces of thrust with the edge! The park 340 ripped the firewall and some foam holding the firewall right off and snapped the firewall in two. The firewall exploded on a test spool up with 7x4e prop, luckily it was on the ground and i recovered all the pieces. I have a hacker a10 1700kv going in next for testing. The hacker motor pulls about 90 watts on a 2s with 8x3.8 apc slow fly. Maybe i can get the edge 7.5 ounces auw with 2s and hacker a10.
doh!!!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:32 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
doh!!!
Lol! I guess I found out the hard way, the park 340 might be a tad overkill!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Bobly,

The problem with the Stryker for me is that it's strictly a hand-launch/belly-lander - and I am an ROG & gear landing addict. To me, takeoffs & landings are two-thirds of the fun of flying. I'd much rather have the Carbon-Z Scimitar w/retracts than the larger Stryker. If they made a UMX Scimitar 180 with removable gear or an option for retracts, I'd order one today!

It's been snowing since 11 PM last night. There's about 7 inches in the yard so far, and we're supposed to get another 6-7 inches by this evening. The white stuff's here to stay - and I don't think we're getting our indoor spot this winter. If so, it looks like it'll be ROS with CC on floats in the yard, flying snow-patrol sorties from the deck with the 130X, and flying the MV, mQX, and nCPX around the living room. When my EQQ shows up, I suppose I could make a couple passes down my makeshift runway with the snowblower & clear a path for it.

Joel
We should get together and fly edges somtime
Where is east bethel?
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Okay, gather 'round, take a knee, and lend your attention fellow Green Machine pilots, to hear the tale of one sadder but wiser 'early adopter' of a particular mod.

Let me start with the lesson learned, first:

NEVER PUT A HARD PROP ON A GREEN MACHINE. EVER.

Why?

Well, the APC 7x5 prop is a nice prop. It's magnitudes stiffer than the floppy original, it's faster, and it's quieter. So why would the guys at HH not put a harder prop on right from the git-go?

I found the tragic answer first hand this morning, and before any of you guys beat up the design guys at HH for designing a 'weak' mount or other prop train parts, I figure it's kind of like trying to drive a blown rail dragster on the highway and getting a side-impact from a regular car, and seeing that impact destroyed your tubular drag frame: certain designs have certain applications, and if we mix and match applications and parts without understanding the consequences, bad things can happen.

I already told you guys I had a low altitude incident this morning. I was at zero altitude, relatively low speed, and inverted over grass when I snagged the vertical stab. Of course, it snapped off, and a little glue put that right in no time.

And if I had been wearing the flippy-floppy stock prop, I am 100% convinced that would have been the total extent of the damage. Maybe bend the prop, maybe pop the cowling off of it's slide mounts. That floppy prop is there to prevent nose-over or crash damage from being transmitted into the adapter, shaft, motor, and mount! So, instead here is a list of my actual damage:

* vertical stab broke off
* prop adapter bent
* prop shaft bent, at least two places (rotor not running true to stator)
* cowling has broken foam at nose area
* motor mount broken off two places
* cowling tab broken off
* foam holding motor mount torn off of front of plane two places
* radio pulled loose from mount by throttle signal wires attached to ESC

None of that worried me, because I can easily fix it all, EXCEPT the bent motor shaft. If I just had to buy a new adapter, oh well, not too bad. But the shaft is bent in two places beyond just the adapter shaft, and even with all grub screws removed, including from the mount, none of the parts want to slide free. The shaft is held through the aluminum X mount with a tiny "C" clip, so that will have to come off too, and then Im sure I'll be able to press the parts out, but in the end, this is going to be a major headache and some bucks for parts instead of just a minor fix-up with some glue. I also worry about the bearing in the mount, given the forces obviously having been put put on the shaft.

I am thinking of just upgrading to one of the motors already discussed in the thread, rather than trying to repair or replace this one.

The three arrows in the photo each point to a place in the shaft that is a different angle than the rest of the shaft.
Hey man, excellent point, can I use that in my review?
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:39 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,768 Posts
Well you didnt get to rip the wings off just the firewall
Btw i seen few post about wings not fitting i had to sand the white sqare in center of one wing to get the holes to line up so screw would go in good.

Well found another 75h might be going in tomorrow.
Really surprized amain wants to replace my plane itold them i already flew it and dont care about a new plane just making them aware to please check the planes from now on
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc