SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Mine apparently had same problem, as there was some horrible looking re-work on one of my motor wires right out of the box.

It's been flying great, and this morning was such a beautiful and calm morning, that I was doing some low and slow flyng over the field, just enjoying the responsiveness of it as a sport airplane - not doing any high alpha, hovers, or any sort of big tricks, just cutting gentle figures across the ground at about 12 inches off the deck, going back and forth across the field.

I flipped the plane inverted and was doing the same thing, when the inevitable happened -- I let it drift too low, and the vertical stab caught a weed... threw the plane into the ground, off came the cowling, hatch, vertical stab broken, motor mount came completely off the firewall...

All things considered, it's actually not broken up too badly, I could get it back in the air without too much trouble. But, I think I might wait, though. I have some 7035 props on order to replace the very stiff, heavy, thick, APC 7x5, which I think is too much of a speed prop, and also far too stiff in case of ground contact -- if that had been the stock prop or a flexy GWS, then I think I would still have broken the stab and the other stuff, but not the motor mount. This is the second time that prop contact with ground using that prop has caused me to get into the mount for repairs. So just consider my experience if you decide to use this prop. Obviously, if my LHS had the GWS in stock, then I would have used it, but all they had were APCs. They claim they are gonna start stocking some of the right size for this plane, so we will see.
Remember from a few days back - you said you would give the hot melt a try this time. I think you'll find it makes a much more durable fix. On my flat foamy, even the flimsiest of props didn't help from breaking the epoxy fix apart. It saved some props though, but I'd rather replace props than reglue motor mounts.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Yea - while I'm mounting my replacement motor I think I'll go ahead and reroute my wires too. I'm a little suprised that they released these planes with the ESC in the battery compartment like that. Especially when there was an obvious spot for it already!
Hey, why aren't you in on the UMX Sbach 3D competition?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1695

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:46 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,060 Posts
Never put a hard prop on a green machine! Ever!

Okay, gather 'round, take a knee, and lend your attention fellow Green Machine pilots, to hear the tale of one sadder but wiser 'early adopter' of a particular mod.

Let me start with the lesson learned, first:

NEVER PUT A HARD PROP ON A GREEN MACHINE. EVER.

Why?

Well, the APC 7x5 prop is a nice prop. It's magnitudes stiffer than the floppy original, it's faster, and it's quieter. So why would the guys at HH not put a harder prop on right from the git-go?

I found the tragic answer first hand this morning, and before any of you guys beat up the design guys at HH for designing a 'weak' mount or other prop train parts, I figure it's kind of like trying to drive a blown rail dragster on the highway and getting a side-impact from a regular car, and seeing that impact destroyed your tubular drag frame: certain designs have certain applications, and if we mix and match applications and parts without understanding the consequences, bad things can happen.

I already told you guys I had a low altitude incident this morning. I was at zero altitude, relatively low speed, and inverted over grass when I snagged the vertical stab. Of course, it snapped off, and a little glue put that right in no time.

And if I had been wearing the flippy-floppy stock prop, I am 100% convinced that would have been the total extent of the damage. Maybe bend the prop, maybe pop the cowling off of it's slide mounts. That floppy prop is there to prevent nose-over or crash damage from being transmitted into the adapter, shaft, motor, and mount! So, instead here is a list of my actual damage:

* vertical stab broke off
* prop adapter bent
* prop shaft bent, at least two places (rotor not running true to stator)
* cowling has broken foam at nose area
* motor mount broken off two places
* cowling tab broken off
* foam holding motor mount torn off of front of plane two places
* radio pulled loose from mount by throttle signal wires attached to ESC

None of that worried me, because I can easily fix it all, EXCEPT the bent motor shaft. If I just had to buy a new adapter, oh well, not too bad. But the shaft is bent in two places beyond just the adapter shaft, and even with all grub screws removed, including from the mount, none of the parts want to slide free. The shaft is held through the aluminum X mount with a tiny "C" clip, so that will have to come off too, and then Im sure I'll be able to press the parts out, but in the end, this is going to be a major headache and some bucks for parts instead of just a minor fix-up with some glue. I also worry about the bearing in the mount, given the forces obviously having been put put on the shaft.

I am thinking of just upgrading to one of the motors already discussed in the thread, rather than trying to repair or replace this one.

The three arrows in the photo each point to a place in the shaft that is a different angle than the rest of the shaft.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Dec 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:19 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlostomasso View Post
Any one else had elevators like me?
That's not funny- that is ORIGINAL "QQ" - for best performance during flight these hinges don't align with elevator--oh dear, what a pain !
BUT I'm sure..the next planes in these size will be better...QQ has a "nightmare on Edge street" every night I think so and he will make all better with his next plane
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:29 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Okay, gather 'round, take a knee, and lend your attention fellow Green Machine pilots, to hear the tale of one sadder but wiser 'early adopter' of a particular mod.

Let me start with the lesson learned, first:

NEVER PUT A HARD PROP ON A GREEN MACHINE. EVER.

Why?

Well, the APC 7x5 prop is a nice prop. It's magnitudes stiffer than the floppy original, it's faster, and it's quieter. So why would the guys at HH not put a harder prop on right from the git-go?

I found the tragic answer first hand this morning, and before any of you guys beat up the design guys at HH for designing a 'weak' mount or other prop train parts, I figure it's kind of like trying to drive a blown rail dragster on the highway and getting a side-impact from a regular car, and seeing that impact destroyed your tubular drag frame: certain designs have certain applications, and if we mix and match applications and parts without understanding the consequences, bad things can happen.

I already told you guys I had a low altitude incident this morning. I was at zero altitude, relatively low speed, and inverted over grass when I snagged the vertical stab. Of course, it snapped off, and a little glue put that right in no time.

And if I had been wearing the flippy-floppy stock prop, I am 100% convinced that would have been the total extent of the damage. Maybe bend the prop, maybe pop the cowling off of it's slide mounts. That floppy prop is there to prevent nose-over or crash damage from being transmitted into the adapter, shaft, motor, and mount! So, instead here is a list of my actual damage:

* vertical stab broke off
* prop adapter bent
* prop shaft bent, at least two places (rotor not running true to stator)
* cowling has broken foam at nose area
* motor mount broken off two places
* cowling tab broken off
* foam holding motor mount torn off of front of plane two places
* radio pulled loose from mount by throttle signal wires attached to ESC

None of that worried me, because I can easily fix it all, EXCEPT the bent motor shaft. If I just had to buy a new adapter, oh well, not too bad. But the shaft is bent in two places beyond just the adapter shaft, and even with all grub screws removed, including from the mount, none of the parts want to slide free. The shaft is held through the aluminum X mount with a tiny "C" clip, so that will have to come off too, and then Im sure I'll be able to press the parts out, but in the end, this is going to be a major headache and some bucks for parts instead of just a minor fix-up with some glue. I also worry about the bearing in the mount, given the forces obviously having been put put on the shaft.

I am thinking of just upgrading to one of the motors already discussed in the thread, rather than trying to repair or replace this one.

The three arrows in the photo each point to a place in the shaft that is a different angle than the rest of the shaft.
Sorry to hear the damage was worse than first thought. Must have been moving right along when she made contact?

I learned long ago on my gassers, not to go with the stiff prop for the first few flights, as too much damage results in a nose over or bad landing. I change to the intended prop after I have gotten a flight or two in to get a lil more familiar with the model in the air.
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:34 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
Sorry to hear the damage was worse than first thought. Must have been moving right along when she made contact?
No, that's the sad part -- I was just moving at enough throttle to keep from sinking (well almost enough heh heh ) wasn't zipping along at all.

But every bit of the forward energy went into the prop/shaft/motor mount and tore it to heck when the hard prop hit then stuck fast in the turf/ground, and pole-vaulted the plane butt-end over head-end rather than just sliding along on the body parts, once the stock prop bent and released. And this is the second time -- same effect happened in crash #1 which broke the motor mount, but did not bend the shaft.

This is an incident which I think could have happened any time -- did not even 'wrong thumb' it, just misjudged my clearance height slightly while over a somewhat bumpy field, on a particularly low pass.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:55 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,556 Posts
I'm going to be selling my spare Edge by the end of the week $155 shipped and tested. It's never been flown and is in great cosmetic shape. It just needs a new prop adapter since I stole it for the one I'm flying. I've bent both now landing in grass. It will have a EFL1920 adapter on it with GWS 7035 black prop. So anyone looking to get one or an extra one here is your chance to get first in line. PM me if you want it before I put it on the classifieds.
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Last edited by FlyWW1; Dec 10, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:49 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5363838&stc=1

So my LHS finally got the 540qq in stock
Maidened it this afternoon with the stock prop , it was a little warped right out of the box but flew great! As you can see i have now fitted the GWS 7035 prop (the faster orange style) Flipped the nut and re-trimmed the spinner.
I checked all the problem area's but still lost the tail wheel on the second flight
To my amazement i found the tail wheel but not the collar, so i glued a small piece of plastic onto the tail wheel shaft to secure the wheel (seems solid)
This plane is alot bigger than i thought, guess i'm so used to the umx stuff sbach etc.
Only got 3 flights on it but i'm impressed , It lands pretty nice , easier than the sbach 3d i'd say!
Had my high rates set to 80% for the maiden, it rolls pretty fast so i don't think i'll need to go any higher for a while
I'm now going to re-route the esc to under the battery tray ready for a few flight tomorrow , weather permitting
Cheers
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygeneration View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5363838&stc=1

So my LHS finally got the 540qq in stock
Maidened it this afternoon with the stock prop , it was a little warped right out of the box but flew great! As you can see i have now fitted the GWS 7035 prop (the faster orange style) Flipped the nut and re-trimmed the spinner.
I checked all the problem area's but still lost the tail wheel on the second flight
To my amazement i found the tail wheel but not the collar, so i glued a small piece of plastic onto the tail wheel shaft to secure the wheel (seems solid)
This plane is alot bigger than i thought, guess i'm so used to the umx stuff sbach etc.
Only got 3 flights on it but i'm impressed , It lands pretty nice , easier than the sbach 3d i'd say!
Had my high rates set to 80% for the maiden, it rolls pretty fast so i don't think i'll need to go any higher for a while
I'm now going to re-route the esc to under the battery tray ready for a few flight tomorrow , weather permitting
Cheers
my stock prop was warped also,,did not effect performance. 60 flights lateri put on orange 7035,,getting alittle more thrust on flights......100% high rates ,,i like the quick response to to input on controls
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:46 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,813 Posts
Still waiting to hear from HH you guys who talk to them how long it take? I contacted Friday when got plane and sent a copy my receipt and all Friday I have heard back from Amain they wanted pics so I just sent them pics. I don't have internet at home right now so Have to check mail when I go library or to my parents. I know they say they don't have servos in stock I am going to see if they will just send me two of the ds35 ones. I know they prolly won't but its worth a try i guess.
they should be close to the stock size and should be better. I am broker then broke right now or i would just order something else. to try Really want to be flying this thing not just looking at it, but today is very wet and suppose to be few days this week but end week should be nice.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...FQkFnQodEHcAKQ
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,962 Posts
I have always had great response when I called Horizon about a problem. Not necessarily so if I e-mailed them though. Call them, be pleasant, not ranting and try to discuss problem and they have always ended up coming through. There has been a time or two that I could see I was getting nowhere with the rep I was speaking to, so just let it end at that and called back later and got a better rep.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:53 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,309 Posts
My mrs said to me I'm not to buy any more planes

When asked what I want for Christmas I said she should buy me a plane!
She agreed

I was getting either one of these or an Sbach 3D. Final answer, this one!!

What is a popular battery choice for this?
Any suggestions?

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:13 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
Still waiting to hear from HH you guys who talk to them how long it take? I contacted Friday when got plane and sent a copy my receipt and all Friday I have heard back from Amain they wanted pics so I just sent them pics. I don't have internet at home right now so Have to check mail when I go library or to my parents. I know they say they don't have servos in stock I am going to see if they will just send me two of the ds35 ones. I know they prolly won't but its worth a try i guess.
they should be close to the stock size and should be better. I am broker then broke right now or i would just order something else. to try Really want to be flying this thing not just looking at it, but today is very wet and suppose to be few days this week but end week should be nice.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...FQkFnQodEHcAKQ
They told me when I did that, to call back with the number you get when you make the claim with the pictures. Otherwise it just goes into a general email, and could be days before its processed.
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:16 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
My mrs said to me I'm not to buy any more planes

When asked what I want for Christmas I said she should buy me a plane!
She agreed

I was getting either one of these or an Sbach 3D. Final answer, this one!!

What is a popular battery choice for this?
Any suggestions?

Tony
I'm using the overlander 450mah 25c lipo's. Got mine on ebay.
I see your in the UK , i can't find any other brands but the overlanders are working well for me
Would love to try the 325mah 65c packs the US guys have if i can find any?
Cheers
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:22 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,813 Posts
Oh the guy i talked to didnt tell me that maybe i should call bk and give the ref. Num it gave me.
I called and he said to fill out the form online and he said i would be happy with the results.

Im almost to stage to try sell plane as is. Far i know rx,motor,esc are all fine but i have two batts for it and 4.new props and adaptor my luck i couldnt get $140 shipped for it. I really had no clue servos were so tiny i guess should got me a crack yak or something
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc