HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:34 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,281 Posts
Flew the HURC 8x4 a few more times then went to the 280 7x3.5.

HURC 8x4
More vertical closer to 2:1
More Speed
Harder to keep Low'n slow
Shorter flight times. Hit LVC after 4:30-5:0min mixed flying on 4 packs
Can't use the stock, or any, spinner without a 1/4"+ gap
more prop choices

VS

280 7x3.5
Less vertical. Just over 1:1
Less speed
Better Low'n Slow. I was able to find RPM sweet spots a lot easier
Better Flight Times. 6:30min still didn't hit LVC
looks better with a spinner

My Opinion
The HURC motor is a great value IF you need a motor. If you want to upgrade, well it's better, but there is a give and take. You get more speed and vertical, but it'll be less floaty. I found I like the 280 a little better just because it was easier to find a good throttle spot to keep it really low and slow. Maybe with more practice I could get better control of the HURC.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:50 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,663 Posts
I just charged my pack up after my first flight: 154mAh for a 5 min flight, granted it was pretty relaxed flying and trimming. Even so that equals over 8 min flights on a tiny little 325mAh TP pack. I'll plan on 6 min of hard flying or 7 min of sport flying.

Joel if you reading this you'll really like this plane.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:14 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Well this plane taught me something today. That on high rates it will bite you. If you are not good at throttle management and your reflexes are not down, game over.

I crashed mine today. Fortunately the damage is not too bad. Dinged the wing tips a bit.

Oh well...
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:22 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,281 Posts
Really? I think it is pretty forgiving and I only fly it on highs...
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:24 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Really? I think it is pretty forgiving and I only fly it on highs...
I guess for those experienced. I am not bad but not at some folks level on this here forums

I tip stalled. Was my own fault. Will get better.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:26 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:

HURC 8x4
More Speed
more prop choices

VS

280 7x3.5
Less speed

My Opinion
The HURC motor is a great value IF you need a motor. If you want to upgrade, well it's better, but there is a give and take. You get more speed and vertical, but it'll be less floaty. I found I like the 280 a little better just because it was easier to find a good throttle spot to keep it really low and slow. Maybe with more practice I could get better control of the HURC.
Good info. I hope to try out my HURC motor soon. I'm wondering if the low and slow stuff can be improved with throttle curve adjustments on the transmitter?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:00 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
This plane has become a nightmare. These servos suck cant belive out box both aileron servos were stripped and elevator one is chattery.
I wanted to fly so i taped the left aileron in place and wentto fly well ended in a crash the one ailron seem fine but if you put any pressure on it. It will move out place guess in flight its having wind press on it.
I will say this is a tuff plane landing gear got bent and i bent the prop that was it. I dont have money to be buying other servos. Bout to rig a hs 55 on both wings lol. The power it has vertical is wow for such a small plane
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:09 PM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Nov 2012
52 Posts
Maiden mine today and she flys spot on, wasn't a fan of the ballistic roll rate so turned the travel down to 85% rather than the 150 recommended. Didn't like the dx8 rudder mixes either so they've gone, differential made an improvement. Noticed she does have a little wing rock in upright highalpha, well I love sfgs but didn't feel it need extra rudder authority and didn't wanna ruin its looks, so I made these to stop the air spilling of the wing tips like the pa bandit has. What do ya think? I'll be testing soon.
born2huck is offline Find More Posts by born2huck
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Nov 2012
52 Posts
Clear plastic sfgs
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:23 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2huck View Post
Clear plastic sfgs
Sweet, SFG's for the EQQ !
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Nov 2012
52 Posts
Can hardly see them and I know they'll work. I put them on all my 3d planes to stop the rock.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:48 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2huck View Post
Can hardly see them and I know they'll work. I put them on all my 3d planes to stop the rock.
What material did you use to make those?
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,119 Posts
Quote:

HURC 8x4
More Speed
more prop choices

VS

280 7x3.5
Less speed

My Opinion

Ok this is good stuff...thx for the write-up...looks like stock & 7035 is the way to go, best all-round

Question: I have a couple 7035's coming from hurc...will that prop mate tight up? Will I need an EF (or any) prop adapter?

I definately want the spinner on the nose
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,006 Posts
poiyt
The gws 7x3.5 is a simple change. No new adapter needed. It's a bit thicker in the hub, so you either need to sand down the front of the hub to allow room for threading the prop nut on or you turn the prop nut around as "most anyway" gws props have a hex cut in them that the hex of the prop nut will set in if turned around. Then a bit of work is required to open out the prop opening in the spinner. Simple though.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:43 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hi Grovey,

Trim for level flight at 70% throttle & roll inverted. If the plane dives, it's nose-heavy. If it climbs, it's tail-heavy. If it continues to fly straight & level, or if it needs just barely a hint of down-elevator, the CG is at the neutral point. Neutral or very slightly forward is usually preferred for pattern & precision aerobatics, while neutral to aft is usually preferred for 3D. A more forward CG is usually desirable when flying in gusty conditions & for sport-flying.

For more details & a downloadable flight-trimming guide, see my blog thread on flight-trimming purpose-built aerobatic planes: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...51&postcount=1

Joel
thanks for the info. i trim my plane per your info,except at 50 to 60 percent throttle....much easier to control plane while flying inverted......impresses all my friends when i fly allover the sky inverted,,,especially after 3 or 4 tight forward loops
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1