SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Nov 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Flexible props are less efficient and in a performance plane I would rather get the most out of it.
yes, with all things considered equal but, it has been proven that the gws props with it's lighter weight (less rotational mass - better acceleration/throttle response and overall less weight - better AUW ), different airfoil (overall shape is different and it is thinner - more efficient) is OVERALL more efficient than apc props of a similar size. then there is the built in "prop/motor/motor mount saver" effect of a flexi shaft upon impact.

a theoretical rigid gws prop may be more efficient than a flexi gws prop and
a rigid apc prop may be more efficient than a theoretical flexi apc prop but
but there are more variables in the real world.
it has been tested that a gws prop overall is more efficient than an apc prop of a similar size for these relatively low power applications

gws props are extremely popular for a reason (the small props have only a few cents cost difference between gws and apc so cost isnt a factor)

it would be highly amusing if i ever see somebody using an apc 7x4 sports nitro prop as that would be the most rigid and inefficient prop lol

anybody want to even bother testing an apc 7x4 sports prop just for laughs? maybe an apc 6.5x3.7 pylon combat?

fyi - f3p (i know not the same as this) "pro" pilots use gws. haven't heard of any using apc
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Last edited by rcfisherman; Dec 06, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:06 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
My replacement for my original ship damage 540 arrived a few mins ago.......this plane had same damage on both elevators (from hitting foam base when fuselage shifts) and even worse is a stripped rudder servo on arrival. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH HORIZON / EFLITE!!!!!

So I am shipping this one back and canceled my order. I will buy at LHS so I can see the plane before purchase. Bummer.
I'm wondering the same thing about E Flite, SCAREY
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:08 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,226 Posts
Video uploading to youtube. I'll post it in a little. Mostly 3D flying
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:14 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,362 Posts
UHHHG ! why is everyday WINDY ..... 15+ winds with gusts......... the simulator is only satisfying so far.... then the "itch" sets in...... this "itch" has to be fed !
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:19 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,051 Posts
MINI-FLIGHT REPORT: FLAPERONS/SPOILERONS

Okay, so before maiden, while I still had the plane on the bench I had gone ahead and programmed in traditional flaperons with elevator compensation, so that I could play with it later. But then before trying it out, I read that on a plane with this much wing, and the ability to fly slowly, traditional flaps are not the way to go, but to instead configure them as spoilerons (both ailerons go up instead of going down when deployed).

Having played around with using reflex to delay the onset of tip stall for a few RC models (Stinson, RadJet, Komet, etc), I was already sold on the ability for a bit of reflex to help with low speed stability and handling.

Set Up: I used -40% and -60% for low/high spoiler settings, and since I was not too sure how much elevator compensation might be needed, I left it at zero (was originally at -5 and -13% respectively for traditional flaps). Just eyeballing it on the bench, this seemed to be a good range of movement to make a change to flight, that I could evaluate.

Observations: From level flight, I slowed the plane down, headed it into the wind at about 1/3 throttle, in a slight nose-up configuration, but not quite a full 'high alpha' stance. I selected low spoilerons, and the plane slowed down further at the same throttle setting, but the attitude did not change remarkably. Perhaps the slower speed would have normally made the nose fall, but the spoilerons tended to nose up, so the two effects approximately canceled each other? All I can say is that at same throttle setting and same elevator input, low spoilerons merely slowed the plane slightly, at same attitude and altitude. I went ahead and flicked in full spoilerons, and by now I needed to add a touch of throttle, but it clearly had the same impact only more so -- flying slower, but no dramatic pitch up or down in attitude. By now, though, I was in full high alpha, and approaching a hover. I held it to see if wings rocked, and I got zero wing rock. With my low skills and a bit of wind, usually I do get a bit of wing rock, so it seems possible that the high spoileron configuration helped settle the plane in, but I can't swear to that after only one test.

I switched back to zero spoilerons and flew out, and everything was cool.

Time to test the real reason I wanted to try these -- for landings. So I skipped the low setting and on the next slow approach, ready for landing, at about four feet up, and just above walking pace on final, I hit full spoilerons. The plane slowed down, kept the same attitude, and began to lose altitude more rapidly. It quickly 'plopped' to the ground, almost on all three points simultaneously. This was not a stall; the wings stayed level and it was 'flying' but at a descent rate that was higher than I would want for landing. I suppose if I had the presence of mind, I would have spooled up throttle as I hit the spoileron switch, to make it 'hover' like. No damage, no problem, I taxi'ed in, but when I looked at the gear, they actually were splayed out a bit. I've had to gently bend the landing gear wires either fore or aft after a hard landing, but this time they were spread edge to edge. No big deal, just a quick bend to set them right, but I think a traditional landing, with no flaps or spoilers, is going to be a lot better for me.

Conclusion:
The spoilerons acted as predicted, and so someone with good stick skills might find them fun to play with, but they are definitely not required, and at my skill level, could actually be a little dangerous to play with.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Dec 06, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:45 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,226 Posts
Fun!
edge 540qq (4 min 20 sec)
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Excitement? Probably no.

But to a certain single buyer (which is all it takes)? I'd say probably ought to appeal, since it's a proven plane, debugged, equipped with the better prop, and shipping included... if it's sold out in someone's area, this might be a very good way to go.
That add was plus shipping...
Reason for the comment you quoted
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:49 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
That add was plus shipping...
Reason for the comment you quoted
Cool
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Nov 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGridley View Post
The only drawbacks of being Canadian are that your football season is already over and there's nothing to do but fly RC since the NHL is locked out. How much junior A can you watch?

good thing up here in igloo land, we also get most of american television. nothing live of course. it may take over a month to get a vhs copy of an nfl game via sled dog
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Nov 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
I take it you got yours today? Not what I was hoping to hear. Anybody have any links to the hextronic motor that fits?
1300kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1300kv.html

1500kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1500kv.html

1700kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1700kv.html

all should be less than $12 to the door

they used to have a kit where you could wind your own motor but i can't find that
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:01 PM
YNWA
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
29 Posts
I recently broke the prop on my Edge, and have replaced it with a GWS 7035 but haven't flown it yet. Has anyone tried it? how does it fly differently?
Wfvirgo is offline Find More Posts by Wfvirgo
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:03 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
My replacement for my original ship damage 540 arrived a few mins ago.......this plane had same damage on both elevators (from hitting foam base when fuselage shifts) and even worse is a stripped rudder servo on arrival. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH HORIZON / EFLITE!!!!!

So I am shipping this one back and canceled my order. I will buy at LHS so I can see the plane before purchase. Bummer.
that is hard- I'm with you Try your luck at LHS...last times I had luck with my online sellers but once, I bought my second UMX Beast at my LHS, I had to open 5 boxes to found a perfect model without damages
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:04 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wfvirgo View Post
I recently broke the prop on my Edge, and have replaced it with a GWS 7035 but haven't flown it yet. Has anyone tried it? how does it fly differently?
The video i just posted has a GWS7035
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
SON....U have some MAD flying SKILLS........U must practice HOVERING in your LIVING ROOOOMM.. I am totatley impresed by everything Udid.......IN SUCH A TIGHT SPACE, wow.......I can do EVERY thing U can do also.......ONLY IN MY MIND....LOL......best video yet..BOOOYAAAA.
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:08 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
looks fine...I assume there was a lightweight approx 40g lipo in
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count