HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:30 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,185 Posts
I know my post have been a little negative, but I just want people that haven't bought it and anybody from Horizon to know what is happening.
The 540 flies really nice. In the few flights I got with it before the motor fried I flew lower and slower with it than any other plane I've had, Including my 32" EPP and 39" EPP and you can't hurt those airframes. They just need to fix these QC issues because if motors, ESCs, rx's, and servos keep failing along with the planes coming in the shape that a lot of people are reporting it won't matter how good it flies because people will stop buying it.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:46 AM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Unique batt, to say the least.
Long flights.
44g

rc
Do you have a balance tap on there, RC?
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:55 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Don't unsubscribe, this thread need guys like you. I'm not convinced yet I need the 540QQ (and I still have lots of time to think about it, since I'm in Canada). The videos I have seen so far are not selling it to me. All the negatives here are not helping either. BUT post like yours are what I was expecting from this airplane, so if you go away, only the negative will stay. This thread need more comments/videos about hovering, blenders, etc. Stuff that cannot be done easily with other UMs (not flat).
If you like 3D or even sport flying there is NO WAY you won't like this plane. Once you get past the garbage QC it's an amazing flyer. BLOWS the UMX's away once you make the appropriate changes. If you don't buy one you are really missing out. Most vids I've seen are just people still feeling it out and are not really putting it through the paces. So I would not base your decision on those at all. Even the promo vid doesn't do it justice.
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:00 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
I know my post have been a little negative, but I just want people that haven't bought it and anybody from Horizon to know what is happening.
The 540 flies really nice. In the few flights I got with it before the motor fried I flew lower and slower with it than any other plane I've had, Including my 32" EPP and 39" EPP and you can't hurt those airframes. They just need to fix these QC issues because if motors, ESCs, rx's, and servos keep failing along with the planes coming in the shape that a lot of people are reporting it won't matter how good it flies because people will stop buying it.
we do appreciate your posts
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:00 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Not worth searching for it. Take a GWS 7x3.5 and the reversed prop nut (built on washer no longer against prop. Get the GWS and you'll see why), trim the spinner prop opening as the prop is wider near the spinner. I used an xacto and carefully removed some material while test fitting it between shavings.
Thanks !

I will be ordering a 6 pack of those soon, and hoping to find batteries without having to pay $16+ shipping to get three of them.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:10 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,722 Posts
Promo sucks all promo videos suckis what i mean they all have music to em i want to hear the plane and hear wind and stuff not music sorry guys forones who add music just what i like.... the seth vid inside and the one guy flying in culesac are my fav two videos so far thats my style flying.. i fly hard 3d i hope i will enjoy this plane ive wanted the 3dhs 41 edge but about 300-400 to get all needed for it i traded my 42 slick and need something to rrplace that i love doing walls,harriers,ke spins,flat spins,hovers, ke, crazy spins n snaps seems so far i should enjoy this plane it be the first one thats not a umx i have got bnf all other e flites were arf. I do own the 3d beast had the first one had the extra 3d. If fly anything like the extra i be happy cause it handle wind
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:15 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Not sure why you're saying this. Page 4 of the manual online shows shorting the pins first (step 4) and plug in the flight battery second (step 7).

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFL6250-Manual_EN.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
Well, my manual has it backwards, as the poster had as well. Took me a time or two before I realized that was backwards from the way it is supposed to be.

Grabbing manual.. posting pic in sec

Step 7, says to hook battery BEFORE shorting the pins. This is the incorrect procedure. The pins must be shorted before powering the RX. At least with any Spektrum Rx I have dealt with, and this one as well, needed the pins shorted first, before powering the Rx
I cant say for other radio models of Spektrum, but with the DX18, if you followed that step by step process, the bind would fail on the radio before the RX battery was hooked up.

At any rate, those steps need written more clearly, and could certainly be shorted up a bit.

1. Short the pins on the Rx. (paperclip lightly jammed in between, hemostats, reverse tweezers, etc)

2. while keeping the pins shorted, connect the Rx Battery.

3. Once the RX is in bind mode (rapid flashing LED), place radio into bind mode,
refer to your radio documentation on how to place it into bind mode. MAKE SURE the throttle stick AND trim are both lowered all the way.

4. Once bound, un-short the pins, and then disconnect the Rx battery.

5. ESC will arm, when Rx is powered on the next time, while keeping the throttle stick and trim all the way down.

I am no expert, but that would be less confusing than the way the manual is written.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:38 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
would you post some to Australia? I want this bird so bad but i want some decent batteries for her too.

Joel I want to see what you can do with this bird.

Rcbabbel how about some flight footage of this bird with this battery.

thanks
S,

PM sent.

I'm long overdue for some flight footage to say the least.

Such a beautiful flying plane!
Best of both worlds.
Flies big. Flies small.
Highly aerobatic yet stable.
She can easily be flown where my Beast and Sbach are flown.
Harriers like a dream.
Loving the fast servos and huge surface throws.

I had to spend 30 sec with a dremel to sand down one plastic wing spar.
Not a big deal.
Just imagine how many hrs it would take to build this thing from scratch!

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:47 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGridley View Post
Do you have a balance tap on there, RC?
Oh yes.
JST-XH tap.
Ready To Fly in the Edge QQ.
I'm going to have a full TP & Hyp batt selection for the Edge.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:02 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,722 Posts
Rcb are those the same size wide as the single sell 500 and 600 for the mqx? Looks like it but hard to know for sure
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:22 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
If you like 3D or even sport flying there is NO WAY you won't like this plane. Once you get past the garbage QC it's an amazing flyer. BLOWS the UMX's away once you make the appropriate changes. If you don't buy one you are really missing out. Most vids I've seen are just people still feeling it out and are not really putting it through the paces. So I would not base your decision on those at all. Even the promo vid doesn't do it justice.
I agree. This plane is completely different from the others. Absolute blast to fly. I've only been flying since late July now coming from RC cars. I started with an Ember 2, then UM T-28, UMX CC, UM Spitfire, V1 Sbach, B3D, and now the Edge QQ. I mostly sport fly and try to do a little 3D occasionally. So far I've only got 6 batts through this one and I love it. My first Edge bought new at LHS had the rudder nearly torn off by my son so I sold it rather than repairing it. My second was bought used from one of the guys at the LHS with only a couple flights. The prop was chipped so I replaced it with the GWS 7X3.5 and moved the ESC to the area under the battery compartment. I had to fix the wheels as they were so out-of-round the thing bounced all over the place while taxiing. Other than that I've had no other issues so far.

I do hope HH works out some of the QC issues with this plane. It's an excellent plane that fills a huge gap where nothing else like it is available. Love the size because it's so much more visible than the rest of the UMX lineup. Like others have said, It flys well both slow and fast and can be very relaxing on low rates or pure adrenaline rush on high rates. I really haven't found anything that it does badly.
ForsheeMS is online now Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:10 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Just got my nanotec 460's on my scale at 42g.

Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:18 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,185 Posts
Got to maiden my QQ this morning. It was a blast until i dove it into the ground. New cowl, spinner, and props on the way. I also broke the plastic motor mount and had to hot glue it back together. From the 2 flights i got before putting it in the dirt i can tell it's going to be a fun little plane. Perfect for flying in front of my house. It's much floatier than i thought, it's great. I really really like the way it flies, i might even buy another one!
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:23 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Got to maiden my QQ this morning. It was a blast until i dove it into the ground. New cowl, spinner, and props on the way. I also broke the plastic motor mount and had to hot glue it back together. From the 2 flights i got before putting it in the dirt i can tell it's going to be a fun little plane. Perfect for flying in front of my house. It's much floatier than i thought, it's great. I really really like the way it flies, i might even buy another one!
Good to hear Joe (except for the plowing it into the ground of course). I thought you'd like it.

It is a suprisingly floaty airplane. Rollers on this thing will keep you on your toes if you try them at full aileron rates. I've been running at about 85% on my aileron throws and find that more than sufficient. I've got my rudder and elevator at 150% though. I think the plane could use a touch more pitch authority but it's certainly suitable as it is now.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy85 View Post
Just got my nanotec 460's on my scale at 42g.

very cool man!
and if we take of the heat shrink the weight would go down a bit more
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55