HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:45 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,770 Posts
Joel i am getting worried also since mine is somewhere between cali n ga... i hope i get a good one waited a week already to get it hope wont have wait longer for replacment stuff
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:47 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,117 Posts
Looks like the Zippy compact 500mah 35c batteries are back in stock at HK for 8.50 ea

Here's the link

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

And here's the nano 460 pacs

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

And for those who want the higher priced, higher power lighter weight option
There's this
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...11V-325mAh-JST
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Last edited by Airman74; Dec 03, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:56 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
Joel i am getting worried also since mine is somewhere between cali n ga... i hope i get a good one waited a week already to get it hope wont have wait longer for replacment stuff
With this plane, I think it is be preferable to buy from a LHS so you can open the box and inspect it, and maybe even power it up.

The first plane I looked at was a no go, and it was the last one in the store. Went to another store and picked one up today.

Hopefully your plane will be ok, but it is guaranteed to have cosmetic damage at the very least. I would not get your hopes up there.

Mine has dings and dents, and even scrape marks on the leading edge of one of my wings, as if someone had written on paper that was on the wing and the indentations made its way onto the wing.

I also had to take a file and file the tube and exacto the one side to get my wing tube in. The wings did not fit too well either, I had to apply force I was not really happy with to get the wings seated, and even one side did not seat properly. The ESC was also haphazardly taped into the battery bay.

I can only fly on the weekend, as daylight is about gone by the time I get home from work. I just hope that the plane flies well and does not have any kind of mechanical failure so I can forget about some of the annoyances. Hopefully all I have said above turns out to be petty complaining, which I can understand if people see it that way already. I do understand that in this hobby you have to be prepared to work on the aircraft to be ready for flight, even if it is supposedly BNF. Again, as I mentioned before, I like my aircraft to look good, and so far at least the airframe is dinged before I have even flown it.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Last edited by grovey; Dec 03, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:03 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
Hopefully you'll get lucky
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:06 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Hyperion (3S) 550mAh RTF w/JST-XH tap

Unique batt, to say the least.
Long flights.
44g

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:06 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
With this plane, I think it is be preferable to buy from a LHS so you can open the box and inspect it, and maybe even power it up.

The first plane I looked at was a no go, and it was the last one in the store. Went to another store and picked one up today.

Hopefully your plane will be ok, but it is guaranteed to have cosmetic damage at the very least. I would not get your hopes up there.

Mine has dings and dents, and even scrape marks on the leading edge of one of my wings, as if someone had written on paper that was on the wing and the indentations made its way onto the wing.

I also had to take a file and file the tube and exacto the one side to get my wing tube in. The wings did not fit too well either, I had to apply force I was not really happy with to get the wings seated, and even one side did not seat properly. The ESC was also haphazardly taped into the battery bay.

I can only fly on the weekend, as daylight is about gone by the time I get home from work. I just hope that the plane flies well and does not have any kind of mechanical failure so I can forget about some of the annoyances. Hopefully all I have said above turns out to be petty complaining, which I can understand if people see it that way already. I do understand that in this hobby you have to be prepared to work on the aircraft to be ready for flight, even if it is supposedly BNF. Again, as I mentioned before, I like my aircraft to look good, and so far at least the airframe is dinged before I have even flown it.
My own personal experience with HH aircraft in the past has not even been remotely like the QC issues that have plaguing this plane
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:07 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Long flights.
44g

rc
Looks good
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:35 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Long flights.
44g

rc
would you post some to Australia? I want this bird so bad but i want some decent batteries for her too.

Joel I want to see what you can do with this bird.

Rcbabbel how about some flight footage of this bird with this battery.

thanks
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:56 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
dx8 download setup

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/DX8_Setups.pdf

not sure if this was posted already
Thank you
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:06 AM
Joined Mar 2011
249 Posts
Been a while since I checked in. What Issues are popping up? Anyone see if a 3s 800mah works?
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:34 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,770 Posts
grovey
I would have loved to go in a lhs and buy this plane problem is dont have one closest one is about 90 miles round trip and its a hobbytown buch a holes work there they would probaly let open box but no way would let power up before buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
Been a while since I checked in. What Issues are popping up? Anyone see if a 3s 800mah works?
Motors quiting in flight, wings not fitting right ,esc dieing, servos dieing finish on plane really crappy of course crappy props that dont bug me prop not a biggie i ordered a pack of 6 with the plane

Someone flew with a 800mah said it flew but not good proformance as it made it fly heavy. Guess i will try one myself since i have one but most recomend a tp325
Rcb is getting 10 min flights with his 500 hyp pack thats wild
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:57 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,294 Posts
I love mine

The reports of incidents with motors, servo's, ESC and wing fitment are not a high percentage. This is the age old internet dilemma of reports of a few failures get more news than all the successful owners that never report how happy they are with the product. My LHS sold out all their allotment and have not heard one complaint.

Sure the foam is of a type that is soft and shows fingernail marks and light rash with the simplest of incidents but I'll take that for its extremely lightweight.

The props really are an issue and frankly stink. They are almost unusable. Thanks for people on this site for paving the way to using the GWS 7x3.5 and the reversed prop nut, trim the spinner and bingo, back to a quality product.

The ESC, motor and servo's work GREAT! If you get a bad one call HH and let them replace it. This plane is by far the best mini 3D plane outside of a profile. I can't believe how it performs right out of the box even with the lousy prop. Hovers, inverted harriers, blenders, walls, rollers, etc, are performed like my much bigger 3D planes. The floatieness of this plane is superb and the stall characteristics are so predictable that flight on the edge is easily recoverable if you go past the stall point.

I am ready to unsubscribe to this thread as it I am happy with mine once I out the 7x3.5 prop on it and feel that this is the best RC purchase I have made this past year outside of my 3DHS 57" Extra.

I have some 360mah 3 cell Rhino's that I put in this thing and I was laughing at how much fun the lower wing loading is.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:05 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
The reports of incidents with motors, servo's, ESC and wing fitment are not a high percentage. This is the age old internet dilemma of reports of a few failures get more news than all the successful owners that never report how happy they are with the product. My LHS sold out all their allotment and have not heard one complaint.

Sure the foam is of a type that is soft and shows fingernail marks and light rash with the simplest of incidents but I'll take that for its extremely lightweight.

The props really are an issue and frankly stink. They are almost unusable. Thanks for people on this site for paving the way to using the GWS 7x3.5 and the reversed prop nut, trim the spinner and bingo, back to a quality product.

The ESC, motor and servo's work GREAT! If you get a bad one call HH and let them replace it. This plane is by far the best mini 3D plane outside of a profile. I can't believe how it performs right out of the box even with the lousy prop. Hovers, inverted harriers, blenders, walls, rollers, etc, are performed like my much bigger 3D planes. The floatieness of this plane is superb and the stall characteristics are so predictable that flight on the edge is easily recoverable if you go past the stall point.

I am ready to unsubscribe to this thread as it I am happy with mine once I out the 7x3.5 prop on it and feel that this is the best RC purchase I have made this past year outside of my 3DHS 57" Extra.

I have some 360mah 3 cell Rhino's that I put in this thing and I was laughing at how much fun the lower wing loading is.
Without sifting through the thread, do you have a link to the mentioned mods to use the GWS props ?
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:15 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
Without sifting through the thread, do you have a link to the mentioned mods to use the GWS props ?
Not worth searching for it. Take a GWS 7x3.5 and the reversed prop nut (built on washer no longer against prop. Get the GWS and you'll see why), trim the spinner prop opening as the prop is wider near the spinner. I used an xacto and carefully removed some material while test fitting it between shavings.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:16 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post

Don't unsubscribe, this thread need guys like you. I'm not convinced yet I need the 540QQ (and I still have lots of time to think about it, since I'm in Canada). The videos I have seen so far are not selling it to me. All the negatives here are not helping either. BUT post like yours are what I was expecting from this airplane, so if you go away, only the negative will stay. This thread need more comments/videos about hovering, blenders, etc. Stuff that cannot be done easily with other UMs (not flat).
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler