SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:59 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
You should watch the video of seth doing a demo at the JR indoor on flight pass. It's pretty good.
Pretty cool I like the hovering torque rolls at the end that's my type of flying
E-flite Edge 540 at JR 2012 (1 min 52 sec)
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:05 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,354 Posts
That video, had more coverage than higher plane.. Freddy was busy chasing the spitfires with high-definition camera..

Looked good on the power, but like I said, a hair more wing rock than I would've liked. Might have been a CG or setup issue? He seemed to be chasing it, probably not his plane.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Nov 2012
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Yes, and comparing batteries from HK by their specs is always such a good metric... not. And the TP 65C fan boys (said fondly) aren't talking about the 370mAh TP's anyway. Someone needs to get them in their hot little hammies and compare in the real world.
easy there. it was a typo. i think we all know exactly what TP batts we're talking about.

FYI - i have 4 tp 65c 325 enroute. no HK batts or anything else for me for this plane

nobody should ever take any and all lipo values from all manufacturers at face value (read the lipo forums about true c rating)

if TP are so great (i agree completely) and hk is so crappy (i don't agree) there is no reason to handicap the nano's.

the closest comparison in mah and c rating to the TP 65c 325mah is the nanotech 340mah 65c

we all know that you have made up your mind about hk but other people might be interested in other options. nobody else has mentioned the 65c nano so i did a service to others so they can make an informed decision.

if they are garbage, there is no need for censorship
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Last edited by rcfisherman; Dec 01, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Nov 2012
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
That video, had more coverage than higher plane.. Freddy was busy chasing the spitfires with high-definition camera..

Looked good on the power, but like I said, a hair more wing rock than I would've liked. Might have been a CG or setup issue? He seemed to be chasing it, probably not his plane.
not seth's plane but he is a factory pilot. any and all setups would be completely the stock recommended setup.

it was a an official HH demo flight. what we saw in the vid must be considered essentially the best case scenario from the official, world class pilot flying a stock plane on stock set ups. do people think they can do better than seth with a STOCK plane?

i think the best setup for this plane is NOT stock but modded as per bellow
1. sfg - not just for increased yaw authority but, also to reduce wing rock
2. tp 3s 65c 325mah batts
3. 12a esc - most 12a escs have a 2a bec and weigh 13g or the hobbyking blue series/mystery that weighs 8g but has a 1a bec (not sure if 1a is enough)
4. gws 8x4 (with throttle management) or 7x3.5 props
5. various weight saving techniques that are optional eg no spinner, wheel pants, excess wires removed etc
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Last edited by rcfisherman; Dec 01, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfisherman View Post
easy there. it was a typo. i think we all know exactly what TP batts we're talking about.

FYI - i have 4 tp 65c 325 enroute

nobody should ever take any and all lipo values from all manufacturers at face value (read the lipo forums about true c rating)

if TP are so great (i agree completely) and hk is so crappy (i don't agree) there is no reason to handicap the nano's.

the closest comparison in mah and c rating to the TP 56c 325mah is the nanotech 340mah 65c

we all know that you have made up your mind about hk but other people might be interested in other options. nobody else has mentioned the 65c nano so i did a service to others so they can make an informed decision.

if they are garbage, there is no need for censorship
No, I haven't made up my mind and I don't think they're garbage. I'd be very interested in the results and I'd like to not spend $23 per battery! I've had pretty good luck with the Nano's myself. I fly my Blade 300x on 4 of their 1300mAh 45-90C's and they've been great. They spec a 10C charge rate! Though I'll probably never chance that!

I completely agree with what I bolded above in your comments and that is where my comment came from.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:42 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
hi fellows,

was out in cold and wet weather conditions with my nanotech 460mAh packs and was really impressed from these unexpensive packs! Power is better than expected, plane is still stable in the air- these lipos are a good deal
-
Torque rolls are impossible up to now- I would say my skills in aerobatics are very good but only torque rolls are really heavy to do. Short fuse makes it difficult, my CG is also backwards but it doesn't work.
It seems that you can only fly 3D (Torque) or classic aerobatics---both with one and the same CG OUTDOORS isn't possible in my opinion.
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Dec 2009
151 Posts
How do you balance this plane? Upside down or ?
flyinucrazy is offline Find More Posts by flyinucrazy
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:24 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
That was Seth's plane as I said when I posted the video Seth was involved in almost every demo during their 15min at JR.

I posted in the other thread that my 280 only lasted 6 flights before it fried. The motor is pretty suspect. It's the second 280 that has crapped out in the last 2 months. I think I found the cause was the glue on the stator had let go and it just bounced back and forth causing severe coging, but it's too late for the motor. Horizon is sending me a new motor and ESC. after my 6th 30sec flight my motor was 167F and the ESC was 155F. I ran up a different motor with the same GWS 7x35 and the ESC still gets a little warn at 117F, but that's completely acceptable.

The little Edge is/was a blast to fly, but the fit and finish are no where near E-flite standards. Dents in the wings, a child must have airbrushed mine, horizontal stab not glued in, landing gear block fell out on the 3rd flight..... Pretty said that Q designed such a cool plane and the factory screw'd them up.
I posted pics of where the glue let go in the other thread.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinucrazy View Post
How do you balance this plane? Upside down or ?
By flying it upside down and right side up and adjusting to preference. It's like salt, put it where you like it. Then put a mark where to put the battery.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I would not try to debate that the TP batteries are great. I have some 2200's that are three and four years old that I bought used. But they do suffer in the convenience bracket because of their balance plugs. Always have to make sure I have the little adapters in the right place at the right time. But on the Edge, put me in the cheap battery seats. If TP batteries are $24, I can have 4 nano's or zippy's or whatever else and with the standard balance plugs, can charge them at 5c on any of several elcheapo parkzone chargers that I keep in the van along with it's permanently mounted rear battery for flyin. So for what 3 tp's would run, I can have 12 cheapies and fly for quite some time even without charging. And I have no want of any more performance than I get out of these batteries on the Edge, hardly ever having the throttle wide open anyway. But if you are after most power and speed and the tp's produce that, they are probably for you - just maybe not for everybody. Why do many folks seem to think that what's right for them is right for everyone?

some club racers are finding that there are better lipos out there over the TP packs...
as we are finding during out races
people can spend there money however they want, but if you want the best TP may not be them...
TP packs are good, and no one is saying they are bad...
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Last edited by brushless55; Dec 01, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:24 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I'm not a great 3d pilot so I let my buddy wring it out to show what it was capable of. He really put on a show! He was very impressed with the way it handles, he did everything with ease and it looked great, inverted harriers were super smooth with no rock. I have the apc 7x4E, tp 65c 325mah and 12 amp esc, he said power was awesome and it felt great slow too. He was so impressed he said he was getting the edge asap. I wish I would have filmed it, maybe tomorrow.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:26 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
I might pick one of these up tomorrow if the LHS has any.

Most likely will not be able to fly since there will prob be no batteries at the store.

I understand fully that having good batteries is a good thing, just not sure I want to spend $$$ right now on small batteries. I just bought some more 6S batteries for my Gaui X5 and a 24V power supply. So yeah, heheh don't want to spend too much more right now.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfisherman View Post
if we are comparing batts, lets compare apples to apples
Turnigy nano-tech 350mah 3S 65~130C Lipo Pack VS TP 325mah 3s 65c
hobbyking list Spec. for the 65c nano
Capacity: 350mAh
Voltage: 3S1P / 3 Cell / 11.1V
Discharge: 65C Constant / 130C Burst
Weight: 46g (including wire, plug & case)
Dimensions: 56 x 30 x 14 mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: XT60
Max charge rate is 8c

the pack would weigh less than 40g once the plug is changed to a jst. these already have the jst xh balance plug vs TP having a proprietary balance plug. it is easier to swap the main power plug vs changing out the balance plug

the TP pack costs more than 2.5x the cost of this nano
that would be cool to try out
I have the 300mah 35/70c and 45/90c packs along with 350mah 65/130c 2s packs for my Sback still wanting to try out...
on static testing the 45/90s sound better and the 350mah packs kick things up!
and I did get my GWS 5030/3 prop to try them out with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
To date, the best packs Ive tested are Genace 30c(for this size plane), and Genace 65-120c for larger planes. They even perform better than Thunder power IMO..

I hear good things about Gens packs, specially for their prices
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:34 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
was out in cold and wet weather conditions with my nanotech 460mAh packs and was really impressed from these unexpensive packs!
Well, freezing temperature is here in Canada, and I'm still impressed by how well the NanoTech are doing in cold weather. Until then, Hyperion was my only winter option (TP were not as good for me in the cold, I killed most of them quickly), but since I discovered NanoTech, I almost only fly NanoTech now in the cold. I've read that lower temperature reduce battery life quickly, so better be a cheap pack than an expensive one! But at around 200 cycles now on my 180mah, my battery still seem good for this winter. Wicked.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:35 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I'm having a hell of time trying to get this Park 300 mounted on my QQ Edge.

I need to reverse the prop shaft. Anyone have any clue how to remove the TINY C Clip that's holding the shaft in place?

Has anyone been able to remove the motor mount from the stock motor? I'll need that in order to mount this motor to the plane. I"m not sure if this is gonna happen or not!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm