HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:39 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewkc View Post
Wow mine came and the eflight edge 540qq box looked like it had been stepped on ripped both ailerons the elevator and noticeably bent prop. Hobby Zone tried to blame it on ups but the ups box was fine took pictures and i had to order a new one and send the destroyed one back. Hopefully i have better luck with my second edge 540qq if it sure looked like a sweet plane but come on how could hobby zone send me such a damaged eflight edge 540qq box is there a seal on the box because when i got it mine had no seal i just slid it right out and was like damn. I hope round 2 will be better. Jeez
I have received two damaged planes from HobbyZone. They make good on them but still the turn around time kind of ruins things for me. I have found that their packaging leaves much to be desired. They just put the planes box inside a shipping box with no padding or even wadded up paper. I get tiny helicopter parts made of metal that are padded enough to be dropped from an aircraft and survive. One hit to a box from HZ and my plane is toast.
Mike
shastamike is online now Find More Posts by shastamike
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Jul 2011
95 Posts
Great thats not really reassuring, yeah there was no padding, package paper or bubblewrap.There customer service was so irritating they kept blaming ups and i was like no the ups box is fine it took pictures and a second call from my wife to get things straight. I gave them instructions to look in the box and make sure the edge 540qq is intact before shipping another one to me if not i guess im going to get inline at horizon hobbies because now there out of stock i think if you pay 180 bucks for a name brand plane it should come atleast intact intact. It kind of makes me laugh sometimes when i hear the words precision, perfection custom chosen prop and motor combo picked by Qui Qui Somenzini himself and you end up with bent elevators, warped parts and terribly out of balance props my carbon z yak needed new servos and new prop straight out the box heck my edge from hobby zone had a servo just unglued and hanging down. Dont get me wrong horizon hobbys has wonderful products i learned to fly with there aircraft but dnt know if its the holidays or what but quality control. Seems to be lacking alittle bit. I know of plenty of others who had damaged edge 540qq's difference is im a novice i cant fix all theys problems like other more significantly smarter hobbyist's using tooth picks to fix elevator stuff like should not be the case for a bnf these planes are not ARF they are BNF which is geared towards people like me who is more of a charge the battery and fly not have to dump another $50 or so dollars to get it to work right. Sorry for the rant. Just wish i had a good edge 540qq just fuming i guess but i think i make some good points.
Drewkc is offline Find More Posts by Drewkc
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:04 PM
... UMX Horizon Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
848 Posts
....finished my prop and spinner mod and now the GWS 7035 HD is installed. I turned the nut, modified the spinner cone a bit, completed spinner with prop and turned the assembly on the shaft while I fixed the motor adapter shaft with the allen wrench- works fine and I think the force for tighening is enough. I also used a little bit Loctite (middle) at thread and nut and therefore it should be saved.
-
Tested balance and thrust and it sounds quieter with power
-
My HK nanotech 460mAh packs arrived- weight is 44,5g- now it's time to compare them with my SLS 500mAh packs (52g)
Unfortunatelly weather forcast is bad and hope can fly at the weekend in calm conditions
-
-
Sad to hear from damaged Edges during shipping-that is really hard, waiting for arrival and see that desaster....hope all will be good with #2. Here in Germany many sellers offer Edges in online shops or ebay.
I don't think that HH improves his next Edge charge with V2 (?), maybe the QC would be better in details but the rest is fixed in their production line.
The next plane (biplane ?) in this dimension would be better..I guess...
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:19 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,073 Posts
Just picked one of these up at my lhs. Looking forward to givivng it a go.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
-quote from SLKCount :
My HK nanotech 460mAh packs arrived- weight is 44,5g- now it's time to compare them with my SLS 500mAh packs (52g)
Unfortunatelly weather forcast is bad and hope can fly at the weekend in calm conditions

You should try the Thunder Power 325 65c packs only 34grams,, produce a ton of power,, make the plane noticably lighter, can be charged in like 5 min,, and last 600 cycles
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewkc View Post
Great thats not really reassuring, yeah there was no padding, package paper or bubblewrap.There customer service was so irritating they kept blaming ups and i was like no the ups box is fine it took pictures and a second call from my wife to get things straight. I gave them instructions to look in the box and make sure the edge 540qq is intact before shipping another one to me if not i guess im going to get inline at horizon hobbies because now there out of stock i think if you pay 180 bucks for a name brand plane it should come atleast intact intact. It kind of makes me laugh sometimes when i hear the words precision, perfection custom chosen prop and motor combo picked by Qui Qui Somenzini himself and you end up with bent elevators, warped parts and terribly out of balance props my carbon z yak needed new servos and new prop straight out the box heck my edge from hobby zone had a servo just unglued and hanging down. Dont get me wrong horizon hobbys has wonderful products i learned to fly with there aircraft but dnt know if its the holidays or what but quality control. Seems to be lacking alittle bit. I know of plenty of others who had damaged edge 540qq's difference is im a novice i cant fix all theys problems like other more significantly smarter hobbyist's using tooth picks to fix elevator stuff like should not be the case for a bnf these planes are not ARF they are BNF which is geared towards people like me who is more of a charge the battery and fly not have to dump another $50 or so dollars to get it to work right. Sorry for the rant. Just wish i had a good edge 540qq just fuming i guess but i think i make some good points.
I specifically asked whether HobbyZone looks in the boxes to check planes before shipment and they said no, they just box them up and ship. I opened my long awaited Carbon Cub and didn't even have to lift it out of the box to see the wing strut had fallen off. They let HH do the QC and HH told me that it is "unbelievable" what they, HH, go through in the way of QC. "Unbelievable".
Still...I'd like to say that the QC and customer service from HH is far better then what I used to get with Walkera helicopters.
Mike
shastamike is online now Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:52 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
I specifically asked whether HobbyZone looks in the boxes to check planes before shipment and they said no, they just box them up and ship. I opened my long awaited Carbon Cub and didn't even have to lift it out of the box to see the wing strut had fallen off. They let HH do the QC and HH told me that it is "unbelievable" what they, HH, go through in the way of QC. "Unbelievable".
Still...I'd like to say that the QC and customer service from HH is far better then what I used to get with Walkera helicopters.
Mike
I agree,,, but I think what people are complaining about here is that these edges seem to not be up to HHs usual standards. It seems to have started with the E Flite zero,, and now this one,, maybe its the 300 size planes???? Also this is exactly why I like buying from a reputable hobby store so I can see exactly what I'm getting beforehand. My flying buddy went to A Main hobbys store here in Chico,, took first edge out of box,, had a bad aileron servo,, took second one out had mismatching wings,, finally got lucky on third one. After first two flights on that one rudder servo went bad,, so now they're giving him the fuse complete from plane that had bad aileron servo just to keep him flying. Now THAT is customer service. In the past I've had planes with small defects, and they've just exchanged them no questions asked. A Main gives GREAT customer service. That's advantage of going to a real hobby store in person that's reputable like they are. :-)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:33 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
make sure you change the servo wires on the connectors, and you'll need connectors

the servos and esc connectors on the plane come set as (signal, -, +) which is not normal. The frsky is like every other rx, (signal, +,-)

the extensions will look right, but the servos are set up all the same(incorrectly for frsky). If you don't change them, you will fry the servos.

also the stock connectors on the edge do not fit that rx. I bought my rx from aloft and it came with connector housings, i switched all the sockets on the servos/extensions to the frsky housings. I didn't have to recrimp. Part of the socket will hang out of the top, i used liquid electrical tape to isolate everything. I just looked at that link you sent and it comes with the same housings.

I know all this, b/c i'm flying mine on the same 5 channel frsky rx.
So even though the wires go orange, red, then black that's wrong? I should switch them to the housings that came with the rx and make it orange, black, then red?
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:24 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
I have the park 340 on order, I'll get it and install it hopefully Monday or Tuesday. I still have 2s testing to do on stock motor and I'm going to flight test the apc 7x4E some more just to make sure stock motor will handle it.
Did you pay $48 for the 340 or find it at a discount? What prop are you planning on running with it?
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:30 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
There's a V2 CC out already?? What did they change? I haven't followed that plane very closely. I wanted one really badly when they announced it but then I noticed all the issues and I lost interest. I might get one as a relaxing back yard flyer now that they've got the kinks worked out... I need to go catch up on the thread I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
To me it is a V2 CC. I believe the changes are that they put a vent hole in the windshield and possibly added, they are there on mine, exit vent holes in the rear of the fuse. The motor is still the 2500kv, but mine is whisper quiet like the 2300kv. I don't know if the older CC's were noisier. The model number is still the same and there is no official V2 designation, but there were changes to be sure. The plane is big on relaxation and has really taught me a lot about flight.
Apologies to the off topic nature of this post.
Mike
EDIT: Joel used the word updated Carbon Cub. I now think that's more appropriate then V2CC.
MIke
The updated CCs use the 2500Kv motor, but the originals all came with the more powerful & more efficient 2300 - despite what it said on the box & website. Along with the windshield & exit vents, they also opened up the cockpit so that the air coming in through the cowl vents also flows over the brick, and they added vents to the aileron servo covers.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:51 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Just picked one of these up at my lhs. Looking forward to givivng it a go.
And I'm looking forward to seeing you fly it! Just be sure to give it a good once over before you put it up in the air. I found my aileron hinges apparently were never glued in to begin with today...
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:12 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,393 Posts
Turnerm,

Are you still planning on trying the 300?!?!?
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:19 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Did you pay $48 for the 340 or find it at a discount? What prop are you planning on running with it?
I had a $15 coupon if you spend $50 @ my lhs so I paid about $35 for the park 340. I plan on running a 7x4E apc with it and a 12 amp esc.
slo-fly is online now Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:36 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
I had a $15 coupon if you spend $50 @ my lhs so I paid about $35 for the park 340. I plan on running a 7x4E apc with it and a 12 amp esc.
That SHOULD give some OUTSTANDING power. :-O
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:58 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Turnerm,

Are you still planning on trying the 300?!?!?
Yea. Just need to get time to switch things out and give it a go!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm