Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:18 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
some folks have thought the price is high. Is it?

I wonder is there a comparable 3s hobbyking or Nitroplanes --3d plane or aerobatic plane that is similar that is 22"-30" wingspan with 4 channels ?

I first thought of hobbyking rarebear 620mm but that isn't 3d, doesn't have a rudder I think, and doesn't have landing gear--so that doesn't qualify.

perhaps this one ?--
http://www.nitroplanes.com/05a72-cap...d-rtf-24g.html
It's heavier and a low wing plane. I don't think the rolls will be as nice as on a mid wing plane like the Edge, and at that weight i doubt it would do any 3d. The wingspan is only 3'' longer but the it's almost twice the weight of the Edge.

This looks like it will be a pretty unique little plane.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
It's heavier and a low wing plane. I don't think the rolls will be as nice as on a mid wing plane like the Edge, and at that weight i doubt it would do any 3d. The wingspan is only 3'' longer but the it's almost twice the weight of the Edge.

This looks like it will be a pretty unique little plane.
pricing...

Yes that's what I was thinking that the 540qq is unique for type of plane, weight, capability, and size. I have been hoping for a 3d plane this size for awhile--and trying to figure out why there hasn't been one until now.

So if there is nothing comparable then $169 is okay--because it's one of a kind--in a monopoly situation price can be higher. If, HK had a quality plane that was comparable for $99 that would be a different story---course Horizon could in part justify higher prices due to great customer service.

And, I would think pricepoint could be lower because this plane doesn't use as3x and the small electronics that is has are larger then the expensive tiny UMX planes electronics. I would think these small--but not micro--would be manufactured at a lower cost then the UMX.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Last edited by flyrtim; Oct 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:38 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
I do believe it is a crutch. I does make the plane fly better. It takes away things you need to do. Just say'n...

Anyway I'm done.

I'm back to waching the EdgeQQ video over....and over....and over...
So does mixing out coupling, heck, even flying a giant scale plane takes away some of those things. They fly like the wind isn't even there. AS3X makes it fly BIGGER not better. It makes the plane fly in a straight line better, big whoop. If you go to KE and push the rudder in the wrong direction the plane will still crash. It pretty much just tracks better/like a big plane and has the coupling pre-mixed for you. It actually allows me to fly the plane rather than fight the wind.

and i watched that video a bunch of times too. I'm really excited to get the Edge, it looks soo cool. I already ordered a RX that i can use with my A9 for it. I like the size. I think the removable wings are pretty funny but also a cool thought for such a small plane.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:44 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
pricing...

Yes that's what I was thinking that the 540qq is unique for type of plane, weight, capability, and size. I have been hoping for a 3d plane this size for awhile--and trying to figure out why there hasn't been one until now.

So if there is nothing comparable then $169 is okay--because it's one of a kind--in a monopoly situation price can be higher. If, HK had a quality plane that was comparable for $99 that would be a different story---course Horizon could in part justify higher prices due to great customer service.

And, I would think pricepoint could be lower because this plane doesn't use as3x and the small electronics that is has are larger then the expensive tiny UMX planes electronics. I would think these small--but not micro--would be manufactured at a lower cost then the UMX.
Well i think the servos are digital so that is also a nice feature. And the not really needed but cool feature of the removable wing. The customer service at HK wouldn't do a thing for you after you have the plane but horizon will help you out in most situations(aside from pilot error/crashing ) The price is pretty good actually IMO. If it was ANY higher i might be not be interested but i think they got the price point right.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,159 Posts
Again my comments were in a direct response to those that said they would not buy the Edge because it did not come with AS3X. If that's the case you ARE using AS3X as a crutch are you not?
I have no issues with the system I have and have had planes with it. (actually getting ready to sell my Mig).
But....
"you'll instantly feel like you're a better pilot"
AS3X technology - Control the Air (10 min 10 sec)

Again I could care less what it does or how it works, but to not buy what looks like a great plane because it doesn't have it......
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kuczy; Oct 27, 2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:39 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,106 Posts
Quote:
Again my comments were in a direct response to those that said they would not buy the Edge because it did not come with AS3X. If that's the case you ARE using AS3X as a crutch are you not?
I have no issues with the system I have and have planes with it. (actually getting ready to sell my Mig).
But....
"you'll instantly feel like you're a better pilot"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2XgFgo86xg

Again I could care less what it does or how it works, but to not buy what looks like a great plane because it doesn't have it......
Spot on!

I have no idea why some think they need it in order to fly?
you don't... and on my S3D, well my V1 gets the flight time over it, because I feel more incontrol of the air craft..

now if I could tame down the as3x on my S3D then well would be talking!!!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:42 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
QQ was ringing it out good and proper in the vid. (He might be just a tad better flyer than most of us of course ...)

Happy flying all,

Marlin
I think you may have missed a post. That wasn't Quique flying in the video - it was developer Colton Clark. Even Quique admits he isn't as fast on the sticks as Colton was in the video.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:29 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,085 Posts
I would like to better/simpler rephrase my comment from yesterday. Its not only fly a plane with AS3X, its only fly a MICRO with AS3X. The size of this plane is inbetween, leaving the necessity and need for AS3X more ambiguous.
For me, i used to fly large planes and go to the field twice a month, but now, i prefer these micros that i can walk 100 feet from my house to the park and fly whenever i want. Thus all of my planes are small and micro, making AS3X a huge advantage, making all my future micro purchases needing a good 3 axis gyro system. AS3X is not great on all planes, but for people like me, who only fly micro planes, you need it to really enjoy flying a micro as much as a big plane, so i need it for all my planes.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:02 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,286 Posts
Religion, Politics and now 3 Axis Gyro's

I fly heli's and fly 3D. I use fly-bar-less 3 axis gyros because I need the crutch.

Sorry but I'm hooked on the locked in feeling.

I'm sure there are purist that are out there using REVO MIX flying their heli's with not even a tail gyro telling everyone they are cheating.

I have the 540QQ on order. I don't need a gyro. But this religious war over them is a pretty funny. Sort of like partisan politics. No middle ground, just black and white. Yep real life right there.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:14 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,085 Posts
There is a middle ground, its the 540QQ Alot of it seems to be on certain semantics and words used. Its a huge benefit for micros, and its benefit decreases as size increases. Isnt that pretty simple?
I know that now with AS3X i can have every RC pleasure at the nearby park, and that type of convenience is where the hobby is at for me at the moment, and not for EVERYONE else, for example people who also enjoy larger aircraft.
In reference to this plane, it probably flies great without it, maybe not in wind, but youve got to make your sacrifices, on a plane like this, it may have been more trouble than its worth.
I will not give ground though on that AS3X is a crutch for 4-channel planes under 200 grams.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:38 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Again my comments were in a direct response to those that said they would not buy the Edge because it did not come with AS3X.
Just checked again, and "those" is not a huge number BTW! Many guys said HH should have put AS3X in, but I believe I saw only one guy being affirmative about NOT buying it so far. Sure enough, all those who think that AS3X would be an asset in a small airplane like that, may likely simply not pre-order it and wait on the sideline to see if QQ's pure magic is worth it. That's my case (and being a canadian, I still have to wait an extra month before they show up anyway!). What I like about my Beast 3D is the fact that I can hover it when there's a 5mph wind. There's basically no other ultra-micro I can do 3D with, in 5mph wind (which happen a lot), and not be bothered by a little wind as the Beast3D does. Yes, I absolutely prefer my Beast V1 much more, but when there's no wind though, and that doesn't seem to happen often enough in my area!. If I had access to a large indoor facility 7 days a week, I would not look for AS3X at all. But being able to go to the local park, and do stuff I could only do when there's no wind is what AS3X is all about. I don't want it so I can fly my airplanes in 25mph wind. To me this is not flying, and if you really want to fly, you simply have to use a different airplane for that. But I want it so I can fly something small more often, and do the same stuff in little wind as I would do in no wind at all. That being said, and I'll say it again: it would be great if AS3X could be turned off for those days without wind though. Best of both world! C'mon HH, end all those pointless discussions?
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:34 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
This plane just looks amazing its the ideal next step from the 2s umx planes.
Bigger more powerful and i personally will be getting this the day it hits my LHS
Am i upset it doesn't have as3x?, no! Would i like it to have as3x? maybe!
If QQ thinks it doesn't need it then i'm happy to trust him
I don't see as3x as a crutch but it IS a flying aid! in a good way,i mean who wants to fly a plane with nasty tip stall tendencies or being buffeted off line by a gust of wind!
For me it just allows me to fly small planes on days where it just wouldn't be enjoyable to do so.
At the end of the day this hobby is all about enjoyment!
I know i will be enjoying this edge 540qq without as3x, i mean that roll rate is just plain crazy!
Can't wait for chuck to get his hands on this one!
cheers
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:13 AM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,070 Posts
I TOTALLY HAVE TO GET THIS!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE "INEXPENSIVE HARD CORE 3D PLANE I WAS WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMMIT QUIQUE WHY THIS GOTTA BE SO GOOD!?!?!?!?! ITS GONNA PUT A HUGE CRATER IN MY WALLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-joker
joker24458 is online now Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
I TOTALLY HAVE TO GET THIS!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE "INEXPENSIVE HARD CORE 3D PLANE I WAS WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMMIT QUIQUE WHY THIS GOTTA BE SO GOOD!?!?!?!?! ITS GONNA PUT A HUGE CRATER IN MY WALLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-joker
Uhm.... the math does not add up...
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:51 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Looking forward to comparisons of this and the UMX Sbach 342 with AS3X
Anybody else enjoying the exquisite agony of choosing between this bird and the new AS3x Sbach?

They're both VERY appealing. But, for me, it's too much of a good thing -- like eating a whole box of chocolates at one sitting -- to think of getting both of them at about the same time.

If you could get only one of these two -- at least for the time being -- which would you choose???

All points of view appreciated.........

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam