HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:56 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Oh man guys!! This plane just keeps getting better and better for me. I just took it out for 3 quick battery packs (snuck out of work for a bit and flew in a small open area next to a CVS ) and I just hucked the snot out of that plane. It will honestly take anything that you can throw at it... or at least it will take anything that I can throw at it. If I could get a little more power in there (hopefully the 300 will do it) I can pull of a pop top but I don't think it has enough power to get the required inertia going right now. KE spins are also a little tough but doable. Blenders however are SWEET!!!

I wish I had my camera with me. I was practicing changing directions by going from upright harrier and then backwards into inverted harrier and then exiting out into a straight rolling harrier and then back into upright harrier and doing it all over again - just going back and forth in a straight line (or as straight as I could get it... I need more practice).

I'm currently running my ailerons on 85% of full rate which is plenty!! I might up it a little but for now it seems just right.

This plane feels just like a smaller version of my bigger 3D planes which is awesome. And like someone else said, I think that after flying this plane even my 48-50" planes will feel like they are in slow motion... I can't imagine what my 70" Slick will feel like!
That's it...i'm getting one!
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:58 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
That's it...i'm getting one!
Joe you will absolutely light this thing on fire with your flying skills!! It's a perfect little backyard hucker. You can fly it almost anywhere!!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:06 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,070 Posts
Quote:
Joe you will absolutely light this thing on fire with your flying skills!! It's a perfect little backyard hucker. You can fly it almost anywhere!!
Thanks! It'll be coming with me to work to fly at lunch for sure. It looks pretty sweet. I'll have to throw in one of these in there to fly it with my Hitec A9 http://www.altitudehobbies.com/frsky...ter_name=hitec

I'm going to call my LHS and see if they have any in stock
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:09 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! It'll be coming with me to work to fly at lunch for sure. It looks pretty sweet. I'll have to throw in one of these in there to fly it with my Hitec A9 http://www.altitudehobbies.com/frsky...ter_name=hitec

That's really what I got it for. Something to take with me just about anywhere so I can fly.

It handles the wind quite well too!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,382 Posts
Well I just stripped the rudder servo in flight and the motor seized HH is taking care of though! I'm grounded until next week
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,406 Posts
HH timing with the seasons was really off on this one for us in the US at least. Sounds like others are like me, I just can't get enough of flying this thing. I'm not a 3d guy, and not advanced enough to do all the really fancy stuff, but this thing is soo much fun to fly whatever type of flying you want to do. Flight envelope is so wide that anything from slow and lazy stress free puttering around to ripping up the sky with out of sight vertical moves, to full 3d capabilities as I understand - all in a size suitable for flying at the club field or in your local park or decent sized yard. And it actually flies, and will even glide in dead stick, unlike the um's that almost fall out of the sky without power on. For me, it also easily handles any wind I enjoy flying in which requires as3x to even consider on the um's. I believe HH was watching my purchase history and said, ok, he's bought everything now, so we can release this thing because if I had this a year ago, I probably would not have spent nearly as much on umx planes.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Well I just stripped the rudder servo in flight and the motor seized HH is taking care of though! I'm grounded until next week
That sucks. What were you doing when the rudder servo froze up on you?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:39 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Slo-fly,

I've also been a Hyperion guy for years, but the performance of the TP G6 65c packs is simply amazing! I have yet to run any G6 packs long enough to see if they actually last for 600 cycles, but I have a few that are well-past 200 cycles @ 9-12c charge, and they still perform like they did right after break-in. It looks like they'll last at least as long as my Hyps usually do.

BTW - nice work on the prop tests. Love the objective test-data!

Well......I've been pretty much on the fence on this one, but Turnerm's clip of him flying from the cul-de-sac has just about knocked me off the fence & into the flying field. I have to run some errands & will be driving right by the LHS. Guess I'll have to open one up & check it out!

Joel
Just tried out a TP325mah 65c in this bird,,, now I see why you guys like these!!
Plane feels noticeably lighter on the sticks,, slow speed definately improved,, and I'd swear it seems to have more punch compared to my Zippy 500 35cs , quite a bit lighter,,, and that super fast charge time is AWSOME
Had my timer set for 5 min with the Zippys,, set it for 4 min with the TP came down with about same amount of capacity left,, I fly ALOT of WOT so I'm happy with the TP
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:01 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,710 Posts
Quote:
I ordered some Haiyin 500's last week but apparently they put them on a canoe because even though they shipped out on Friday, they won't get here until next Monday.

I'll let you guys know what I think of them once I get to try them out.
Now that my own 450mah batts are confirmed to be safely in the mail (ordered just yesterday, USPS tracking says they will be here at my door tomorrow), I can disclose my semi-secret source for awesome batteries:

Twisted Hobbies.

They are a bit pricey, but they are in stock, are terrific quality, and these guys ship FAST. You can get 360/450/600 whatever your pleasure is. Just be sure to look at your order and confirm you are asking for the 3S, as they stock an equally awesome 2S that I use on my Crack Pitts.

BTW, I flew the Edge540qq on a 2S 450mah Twisted batt today ,when I ran out of 3 cells, and it actually flew okay. It had a bit less than 1:1 vertical, so no hovering, but it in a pinch, you could use them if that's all you have on hand. Plane could still loop, roll, high alpha, and just generally sport fly mighty fine, but you do notice it's much less powerful than the desired 3S.

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/LIPO-Batteries_c4.htm
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:03 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
568 Posts
Quote:

make sure you change the servo wires on the connectors, and you'll need connectors

the servos and esc connectors on the plane come set as (signal, -, +) which is not normal. The frsky is like every other rx, (signal, +,-)

the extensions will look right, but the servos are set up all the same(incorrectly for frsky). If you don't change them, you will fry the servos.

also the stock connectors on the edge do not fit that rx. I bought my rx from aloft and it came with connector housings, i switched all the sockets on the servos/extensions to the frsky housings. I didn't have to recrimp. Part of the socket will hang out of the top, i used liquid electrical tape to isolate everything. I just looked at that link you sent and it comes with the same housings.

I know all this, b/c i'm flying mine on the same 5 channel frsky rx.
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Last edited by P.I.Engineer; Nov 27, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:13 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Ya 340 might be better than 300 since its 1700kv vs 1450 for the 300
The extra weight could be an issue out on the nose?
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:14 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
Here are the prop thrust results, stock prop puts out 12 ounces of thrust, pulls 110 watts and 9.9 amps. The gws 7035dd puts out 14 ounces thrust, pulls 100 watts and 8.9 amps (most efficient). The master airscrew 7x4 put out 14 ounces thrust, pulls 133 watts and 11.9 amps. The apc 7x4E puts out 14 ounces thrust and pulls 133 watts and 11.8 amps. The watt test is static on a full hyperion 450mah 25c 3s. The thrust pulls are done by a digital fishing scale with the plane hanging and full throttle.
slo-fly

Excellent info--very helpful, very thorough.

which of the 3- 7x4 MAS props was that?
I wonder if the MAS 7x4 scimitar would have more thrust/watts?

glass/nylon (GF) version
http://masterairscrew.com/7x4gfseriespropeller.aspx

electric only version
http://masterairscrew.com/7x4electri...propeller.aspx

scimitar version
http://masterairscrew.com/7x4s-2seriespropeller.aspx

Do watts and ounces of thrust measure same thing in 2 different ways, if not how different?
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,382 Posts
Quote:
That sucks. What were you doing when the rudder servo froze up on you?
WOT KE Spin. They are sending me a analog servo because these are BO and they had no date. I just took the servo out. It was not easy. I had to destroy it to finally get it out and it messed up the fuse a little in the process. I was really careful too I'm kept the original lead in the fuse because it will be a pain to put a new one in without splitting the fuse open.
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:21 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
Here are the prop thrust results, stock prop puts out 12 ounces of thrust, pulls 110 watts and 9.9 amps. The gws 7035dd puts out 14 ounces thrust, pulls 100 watts and 8.9 amps (most efficient). The master airscrew 7x4 put out 14 ounces thrust, pulls 133 watts and 11.9 amps. The apc 7x4E puts out 14 ounces thrust and pulls 133 watts and 11.8 amps. The watt test is static on a full hyperion 450mah 25c 3s. The thrust pulls are done by a digital fishing scale with the plane hanging and full throttle.
Dig your setup
I'm going to use this to test different lipos
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:35 PM
newbie dive'n in
Canada, BC, Prince Rupert
Joined May 2012
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Yikes, if they are not available yet in the UK, we are not about to get some here in Canada.
SN hobbies here on the west coast got 5 in a week ago. They still haven't sold one, but it looks like I'll be getting one now! I still haven't picked up my V7 P-51 & Stuka! This hobbie has caused me to totally abuse my credit card without even feeling bad about! So much for the 12 step program, this will be plane # 15 since I started in March! Safe to say the last for this year though.

The only trouble is batteries, so far SN has none! Maybe thats why they haven't sold any.
emeraldc is online now Find More Posts by emeraldc