Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:05 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Yes I do realize its a different motor KV etc,,, but a 7x6 prop is quite a bit higher pitch,, and SLO -fly has already tested a 7x4 on this plane he got 11.7 amps , this ESC is rated for 12amp burst , and prop will unload a bit in air ,, so with throttle management should be OK
Apples and oranges but go for it! Let us know how it goes. Ideally I think upgrading to the Park 300 with a 8x3.8SF might be pretty great! that would be some great thrust for slow and low!

Park 300
Type: Brushless outrunner
Size: 180/280 replacement
Bearings or Bushings: Two 3.175 x 7.94 x 3.6mm Bearings
Recommended Prop Range: 6x5 to 8x3.8 (3-cells) or up to 10x3.8 (2-cells) - Slow Flyer
Voltage: 7.2–11.1V
RPM/Volt (Kv): 1380
Resistance (Ri): .33 ohms
Idle Current (Io): .40A @ 8V
Continuous Current: 7A
Maximum Burst Current: 9A (15 sec)
Cells: 6–8 Ni-Cd/Ni-MH or 2–3S Li-Po
Speed Control: 8–10A brushless
Weight: 24 g (.8 oz)
Overall Diameter: 28mm (1.10 in)
Shaft Diameter: 3.17mm (1/8 in)
Overall Length: 22mm (.90 in)

Needed to Complete

8A–10A Brushless ESC

6–8 Ni-Cd/Ni-MH or 2–3S Li-Po

6x5 to 8x3.8 (3-cells) or up to 10x3.8 (2-cells) - Slow Flyer

Park 280
Type: Brushless Outrunner
Size: 280
Wire Gauge: 22 AWG
Recommended Prop Range: 2S: 6 x 5 to 7 x 5; 3S: 5 x 5 to 7 x 3.5
Voltage: 7.4V-11.1V
RPM/Volt (Kv): 1800
Resistance (Ri): 0.281Ω
Idle Current (Io): 0.680A @ 8V
Continuous Current: 8A
Maximum Burst Current: 10A
Cells: 2S-3S LiPo or 6-8 NiMH/NiCd
Speed Control: 10-Amp brushless
Weight: 0.72 oz (20.5 g)
Overall Diameter: 0.85 in (22mm)
Shaft Diameter: 2mm
Shaft Length: 1.37 in (35mm)
Overall Length: 1.02 in (26mm)

Needed to Complete

10-Amp Brushless ESC

6- to 8-cell Ni-MH/Ni-Cd or 2S-3S Li-Po Battery

Propeller
2S: 6 x 5 to 7 x 5
3S: 5 x 5 to 7 x 3.5
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:11 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Apples and oranges but go for it! Let us know how it goes. Ideally I think upgrading to the Park 300 might be pretty great!

Park 300
Type: Brushless outrunner
Size: 180/280 replacement
Bearings or Bushings: Two 3.175 x 7.94 x 3.6mm Bearings
Recommended Prop Range: 6x5 to 8x3.8 (3-cells) or up to 10x3.8 (2-cells) - Slow Flyer
Voltage: 7.2–11.1V
RPM/Volt (Kv): 1380
Resistance (Ri): .33 ohms
Idle Current (Io): .40A @ 8V
Continuous Current: 7A
Maximum Burst Current: 9A (15 sec)
Cells: 6–8 Ni-Cd/Ni-MH or 2–3S Li-Po
Speed Control: 8–10A brushless
Weight: 24 g (.8 oz)
Overall Diameter: 28mm (1.10 in)
Shaft Diameter: 3.17mm (1/8 in)
Overall Length: 22mm (.90 in)

Needed to Complete

8A–10A Brushless ESC

6–8 Ni-Cd/Ni-MH or 2–3S Li-Po

6x5 to 8x3.8 (3-cells) or up to 10x3.8 (2-cells) - Slow Flyer

Park 280
Type: Brushless Outrunner
Size: 280
Wire Gauge: 22 AWG
Recommended Prop Range: 2S: 6 x 5 to 7 x 5; 3S: 5 x 5 to 7 x 3.5
Voltage: 7.4V-11.1V
RPM/Volt (Kv): 1800
Resistance (Ri): 0.281Ω
Idle Current (Io): 0.680A @ 8V
Continuous Current: 8A
Maximum Burst Current: 10A
Cells: 2S-3S LiPo or 6-8 NiMH/NiCd
Speed Control: 10-Amp brushless
Weight: 0.72 oz (20.5 g)
Overall Diameter: 0.85 in (22mm)
Shaft Diameter: 2mm
Shaft Length: 1.37 in (35mm)
Overall Length: 1.02 in (26mm)

Needed to Complete

10-Amp Brushless ESC

6- to 8-cell Ni-MH/Ni-Cd or 2S-3S Li-Po Battery

Propeller
2S: 6 x 5 to 7 x 5
3S: 5 x 5 to 7 x 3.5
Exactly!! I just posted this question a few posts back. I've got a Park 300 that I could pull off of my Crack Yak and see how it handles. I think I'd enjoy the larger prop on this Edge to get even more airflow across the surfaces. I don't care about getting any more top speed... I just like getting as much air over the surfaces for post-stall flight as I can possibly get.

I couldn't find the specs on the Park 280 so thanks for posting that. The 300 is only 11% heavier so we should be able to get the plane to balance with it in there.

I'll give this a go eventually but I want to finish wringing it out on my current setup before I start any of that stuff.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:21 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Airman 74 would you be willing to take your 300 out of the Zero and test it in the QQ. PLEASE!!!

Edit: Turnerm why wait! Do it now!
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:27 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
anyone know of any Cyber Monday deals where I can pick up the 540qq for a few bucks savings?

thanks

edit: looks like amain has 10% off. .. let's see who's got them beat though :-)
Really ill have to check with themwhen i get bk home in few let us know if find cheaper
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:35 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Airman 74 would you be willing to take your 300 out of the Zero and test it in the QQ. PLEASE!!!

Edit: Turnerm why wait! Do it now!
LOL! Sigh... let me see what I can do. I hope I still have the right prop adapter.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Woot! Found you guys!

I just joined the 540QQ owner's group today!

Pics as I unbox:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=779

(now, to go try to speed read about 100 pages of posts on a plane that is just now coming out! My, my, you guys have been busy little beavers!)

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:20 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
(now, to go try to speed read about 100 pages of posts on a plane that is just now coming out! My, my, you guys have been busy little beavers!)

No kidding. This thread is on fire!

I unboxed and assembled mine Saturday and was in the middle of setting it up when my TX batts died I threw it on the charger, grabbed up my other TX and went out flying other craft. I haven't got back to it yet but I will in short order. I'll still have to wait for Saturday (weather permitting) for the maiden.

Lots of good info here and many thanks to all those who contributed
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Dec 2007
161 Posts
Aileron Y Harness

My Edge came with the usual QC issues- warped prop, loose battery lid hold down at the rear, and one I have not seen before on this thread. The aileron Y harness was defective. I trouble-shot this with a HH tech rep. By removing the Y harness and plugging the aileron leads directly into the receiver, proper operation was obtained, and the receiver and servos were shown not to be the source of the problem. Sadly, getting the plugs in and out of the receiver is difficult. I had a hemostat and fine needle nose pliers. However, I do not have steel fingernails, which would seem to be the requisite tool.

With enough pluggings and unpluggings to isolate the problem, I broke one of the strands on one of the servo leads. I will have to clip the cable and solder on a new end plug.

Anyone buying this plane might consider removing the Y harness up front and plugging the aileron servos directly into the receiver (Ail and Aux 1- see instruction manual) if your transmitter works that way.

If HH ever considers another similar aircraft, or reengineers this one, HH should swallow the six gram (or whatever) weight penalty and use standard plugs for rx, y-harness, and servos.
tourist_603 is online now Find More Posts by tourist_603
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,720 Posts
Well I guess I will be in on the fun next week Just ordered one from A main got the plane and set of props for $174 shipped not to bad.. I ended up getting Bday money today was not expecting and I deserve it darn it LOL
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
699 Posts
Quote:
Sadly, getting the plugs in and out of the receiver is difficult. I had a hemostat and fine needle nose pliers. However, I do not have steel fingernails, which would seem to be the requisite tool.
Difficult?? They are almost impossible!
ForsheeMS is online now Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
... UMX Horizon Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Santa drives an awesome truck in Nv!

Let the batt testing begin...

rc
RC..it seems that you have one Edge for now and another for Santa Claus
Pls do you a favour and check all points/screws before you maiden- helps to avoid damages.
-
I really miss postings from Horizon employees concerning the QC problems-currently "grinding noise" from the Park 280 motor is coming next...
Dave was here in the first postings before Release....I want to read his feedback to all thing we are complain.
This Edge is awesome, right dimension, flies perfect but QC isn't good what we expected.
Would be o.k if one HH employee (Dave ?) answers like "we read/heard that and will try to improve the following planes"....
In Germany we said "hand in hand with the customers"- make many things clear and will hold the relationsship positive...
Just my 2cents...
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:56 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
RC..it seems that you have one Edge for now and another for Santa Claus
Pls do you a favour and check all points/screws before you maiden- helps to avoid damages.
-
I really miss postings from Horizon employees concerning the QC problems-currently "grinding noise" from the Park 280 motor is coming next...
Dave was here in the first postings before Release....I want to read his feedback to all thing we are complain.
This Edge is awesome, right dimension, flies perfect but QC isn't good what we expected.
Would be o.k if one HH employee (Dave ?) answers like "we read/heard that and will try to improve the following planes"....
In Germany we said "hand in hand with the customers"- make many things clear and will hold the relationsship positive...
Just my 2cents...
Count - I think they are reading/listening but I can understand why they wouldn't post directly about it on the forums.

The feedback part is hugely helpful for them though so let's keep the feedback coming so they can continue to improve.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,720 Posts
We all that fly hh helis know qc is not what it is at least if the motor quits on my plane i can glide it in or catch it if close to me a heli doesnt glide and im not catching one if it does. Props is no biggie and servo wires guess just plug in once for most im sure myself and wont unplug till a mayjor crash or something.
Motors dieing and needing replaced stinks down time sucks but hh is number one when comes to replacinging bad parts if down rd i can stick in a bigger esc and stick on biger prop great im hoping it fly stock or with the 7x3.5 well enough to make me happy if it hover ke spin flat spin ke i be happy yes ive read some tuck on ke but i have magic thumps most locals say i corect w.o even relizing i am lol
I have Loved my other two edges from e flite sure to love this one btw how hard would it be just swap out the servo ends and install a reg rx? I know its all about weight but a ar6100 out of its case cant be much im sure for ones who going put in bigger motor the power still be there i flew a 32 inch edge eflite with a 4s a123 2300 mah i loved how flew but anyone who picked it up thought wow its heavy u did not want to slow it down on landing otherwise it flew great

You guys most of you with stock esc are using the GWS 7 x 3.5 Direct Drive Prop (Black) right... And up to 500mah battery for nice slow light flight... what the smallest battery anyone have used trying go back read past post but can't find it. I knew should wrote this down. I do have one 450mah batt but I think you guys have already got every 450mah online out there ha ha EP buddy is even out.
Last edited by epoweredrc; Nov 26, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,600 Posts
I flew Walkera helicopters for 3 years. The QC and customer service from HH is WAY AA better. I guess nothing is perfect when it comes to flying machines.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:51 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
Master airscrew props 7x4

glass/nylon (GF) version as mentioned earlier
http://masterairscrew.com/7x4gfseriespropeller.aspx

and electric only version
http://masterairscrew.com/7x4electri...propeller.aspx

scimitar version
http://masterairscrew.com/7x4s-2seriespropeller.aspx

From what I can tell I think scimitar version has most thrust

I believe only the electric only version comes with adapter bushings
DAMM !!! Got the wrong one!!! Should've got the electric only version!!
Mine didn't come with bushings,, and its kinda heavy. :-(
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74