HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:51 PM
accel8or
accel8or's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
459 Posts
I can live without AS3X, but it would be nice as an option later on. Good thing about the JST connector, as I have a bunch of 460mAh Nanotechs. If not, then rc-connectors will more than likely have the adaptor for it. 26 inch wingspan is great, and they could not have done wrong rounding it out to 30".
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:00 PM
accel8or
accel8or's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
I agree.......learn to fly

We need a sign "Learn to Fly" at our field. People come in, start bombarding us with "how much does it cost, how much, how much...." then next week they come with an airplane in the box, try to fly it, and by Sunday, I look in the trash cans, and there are the planes that used to be in the box
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:14 PM
From a Different Planet!
edge_pilot's Avatar
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by accel8or View Post
We need a sign "Learn to Fly" at our field. People come in, start bombarding us with "how much does it cost, how much, how much...." then next week they come with an airplane in the box, try to fly it, and by Sunday, I look in the trash cans, and there are the planes that used to be in the box
unfortunately thats what the RTF and BNF world of airplanes brings to the hobby. No skills needed anymore, or atleast thats what the guy at the hobby shop tells them.
edge_pilot is offline Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:29 PM
accel8or
accel8or's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_pilot View Post
unfortunately thats what the RTF and BNF world of airplanes brings to the hobby. No skills needed anymore, or atleast thats what the guy at the hobby shop tells them.
Tell 'em anything to make a sale, yes, unfortunately.

We will see the day when you can buy a plane-in-the-box that will fly itself and the person will just point it to where they want it to go and the plane-in-the-box will do it all, including crash avoidance. Don't call these people pilots.

Personally I'd rather fly the plane myself. I want my skills. It's a lot more fun.

But I have nothing against AS3X. Things more complex than that are in fighter planes.
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
Last edited by accel8or; Oct 27, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:19 PM
Registered User
TurboRacer's Avatar
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,768 Posts
People that think AS3X flies the airplane should try my Sbach with full throws, no expo, and all servo horns on closest hole. That thing is a snappy little bastard! The only way to fly it if you ask me!
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Last edited by TurboRacer; Oct 27, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:32 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post

I will say my UM P-51 is nuts in the wind!
really takes some good fingers to fly it
But think about how much smoother the P-51 would fly with AS3X in the wind...Again---It's not about needing AS3X but ENHANCING how the model flies!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:10 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
People that think AS3X flies the airplane should try my Sbach with full throws, no expo, and all servo horns on closest hole. That thing is a snappy little bastard! The only way to fly it if you ask me!
100 % agree. That's how I fly my Sbach 3D.
BumpierDrake960 is offline Find More Posts by BumpierDrake960
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:22 PM
The Earth got in the way!
kuczy's Avatar
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,185 Posts
Nobody is saying AS3X flies the plane. Comments were made that if it wasn't included then they weren't buying it. To each their own, but that is a narrow minded comment. AS3X is great for planes that can benefit from a little added stability like the Mig and Geebee, but to say if a plane doesn't have it it's not worth buying is ridiculous. The Edge doesn't need it.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:28 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Nobody is saying AS3X flies the plane. Comments were made that if it wasn't included then they weren't buying it. To each their own, but that is a narrow minded comment. AS3X is great for planes that can benefit from a little added stability like the Mig and Geebee, but to say if a plane doesn't have it it's not worth buying is ridiculous. The Edge doesn't need it.
I agree. I consider myself a pretty decent pilot (although still learning) and I love the AS3X on my Beast. I loved the Beast without it too.

If you think the AS3X is a crutch or training wheels then you've got your head in the sand. If you don't believe me then hand the Beast to someone that's never flown before or hand it to someone that's only flown something like the HZ Super Cub (great plane by the way) and ask them to do a KE circuit or hover it. Let me know what happens.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:34 PM
The Earth got in the way!
kuczy's Avatar
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,185 Posts
I do believe it is a crutch. I does make the plane fly better. It takes away things you need to do. Just say'n...

Anyway I'm done.

I'm back to waching the EdgeQQ video over....and over....and over...
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:53 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Fish99's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_pilot View Post
unfortunately thats what the RTF and BNF world of airplanes brings to the hobby. No skills needed anymore, or atleast thats what the guy at the hobby shop tells them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by accel8or View Post
Tell 'em anything to make a sale, yes, unfortunately.

We will see the day when you can buy a plane-in-the-box that will fly itself and the person will just point it to where they want it to go and the plane-in-the-box will do it all, including crash avoidance. Don't call these people pilots.

Personally I'd rather fly the plane myself. I want my skills. It's a lot more fun.

But I have nothing against AS3X. Things more complex than that are in fighter planes.
Gotta say, not the guys at the LHS where I buy, at least not the manager, and the main crew when I am there. I OFTEN hear them telling guys "that's not the right plain / heli for you, you'll just be in here tomorrow looking for parts, etc. They are pretty darn good about matching the aircraft to the consumer. I did see one fellow insist on something so of course they will sell it to them, but that was his call, fairly warned. On a couple of occassions they have even called me over to the counter and asked me to give my opinion to another customer on a proper fit or choice between aircraft, explaining I fly quite a bit and have both models, etc., just to make sure the customer gets to hear it from someone other than a salesman.

Also BNF / RTF has opened the doors of this hobby to a LOT of people, such as myself, who just don't have the TIME to do the building on ARF's all the time. As well, they are almost entirely the FOAMIE line up planes, which have brought down costs, brought down learning curves, brought down repair complexity and SIGNIFICANTLY opened the hobby up to a wide range of people. I would say if anything, RTF / BNF planes have saved the hobby, and the local hobby shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
But think about how much smoother the P-51 would fly with AS3X in the wind...Again---It's not about needing AS3X but ENHANCING how the model flies!!!

Kevin
+1 to that! AS3X doesn't fly it, it simply allows smaller planes that just CAN NOT fly nicely or smoothly in any sort of wind to be able to fly LIKE a bigger model. If you have a nice 50 size plane, you're fine flying in 10 mph winds, no issues. Couple grams of foam were just a BEAR before, but now fly a lot more like the 50 size plane! Both still need controls from a capable pilot to avoid coming home in a garbage bag. The AS3X tech, TO ME, just made this inexpensive planes capable of flying in a wider range of conditions and thus be more FUN for those that like to fly them. Just one guy's opinion. That said, don't thing this one looks like it needs it! LOL, QQ was ringing it out good and proper in the vid. (He might be just a tad better flyer than most of us of course ...)

Happy flying all,

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
Registered User
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
some folks have thought the price is high. Is it?


I wonder is there a comparable 3s hobbyking or Nitroplanes --3d plane or aerobatic plane that is similar that is 22"-30" wingspan with 4 channels ?


I first thought of hobbyking rarebear 620mm but that isn't 3d, doesn't have a rudder I think, and doesn't have landing gear--so that doesn't qualify.

perhaps this one ?--
http://www.nitroplanes.com/05a72-cap...d-rtf-24g.html
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
I do believe it is a crutch. I does make the plane fly better. It takes away things you need to do. Just say'n...

Anyway I'm done.

I'm back to waching the EdgeQQ video over....and over....and over...
You should ask Quique if he thinks it's a crutch.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Fish99's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
some folks have thought the price is high. Is it?


I wonder is there a comparable 3s hobbyking or Nitroplanes --3d plane or aerobatic plane that is similar that is 22"-30" wingspan with 4 channels ?


I first thought of hobbyking rarebear 620mm but that isn't 3d, doesn't have a rudder I think, and doesn't have landing gear--so that doesn't qualify.

perhaps this one ?--
http://www.nitroplanes.com/05a72-cap...d-rtf-24g.html
WAYYYY Off topic, so I appologize, but I have been really close to buying that Rarebear from HK as it looks SERIOUSLY fast and fun, for a very cheap price, on the suggested setup.

Completely different style plane however. The CAP looks like it is pretty much in the same class of plane, just no idea how it flys. Great price for a complete RTF.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:05 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
But think about how much smoother the P-51 would fly with AS3X in the wind...Again---It's not about needing AS3X but ENHANCING how the model flies!!!

Kevin
For me not even close
I will take my UM P-51 over my Spit any day of the week...
much more sporty of a plane to fly than the spit! IMO
I can fly and don't need a gyro to fly my UM P-51

but when the wind whips up, I need to focus and fly
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product E-flite 300 A6M5 Zero BNF Basic Afraidtoregister Electric Warbirds 1039 Yesterday 07:48 PM
Sold BNIB E-flite UMX Beast 3D BNF Basic AS3X (EFLU4850) plus EXTRAS peterswolf Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Sep 14, 2012 07:43 PM
For Sale E-Flite MSR X BNF Basic edition daign Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jun 01, 2012 08:59 PM
Sold Edge 540 3D ARF by E-Flite freirem Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Feb 28, 2012 06:38 PM
Discussion A6M5 Zero 300 BNF Basic by E-flite BlazingStar Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Feb 03, 2012 02:22 AM