HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:53 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
No idea what SLT is all about. Probably some iteration of a Nine Eagles protocol, since NE, Futaba, Tactic, etc are under Hobbico's umbrella.

I said it before and I say it again, Deviation is win-win-win-win-win for everybody.

1. Walkera sells more RTF packages and transmitters
2. HH sells more BNF helis and planes
3. NE sells more.
4. ???
5. We profit.

With Deviation onboard my Devo 10 is probably more powerful/flexible than your DX8 (yeah I know you live in the US and you have great CS from HH, I don't). You know why? Because if I don't like something I just go into the code and modify it to suit my needs. Open source baby. And we all have to thank PhracturedBlue for it.
Well said.
Spectrum products in my opinion are OK, but overpriced for what you get. They have to pay for that good customer service somehow. They only make occassional FW upgrades which are only necessary to fix bugs, but they do not make any substantial improvements in their products responsive to user wants/needs, there's no feedback from the user.
Deviation is a constantly developing project, with direct feedback from users. Gripes, and suggestions are all taken seriously, and incorporated in the next build.

Spectrum, and Futaba have nothing like this. They only fix bugs.

My Devo 8 is an excellent TX, equal to the DX8 for 1\3 the price.
How will it stand up? I don't know. So far so good.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:01 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
5,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Well said.
Spectrum products in my opinion are OK, but overpriced for what you get. They have to pay for that good customer service somehow. They only make occassional FW upgrades which are only necessary to fix bugs, but they do not make any substantial improvements in their products responsive to user wants/needs, there's no feedback from the user.
Deviation is a constantly developing project, with direct feedback from users. Gripes, and suggestions are all taken seriously, and incorporated in the next build.

Spectrum, and Futaba have nothing like this. They only fix bugs.

My Devo 8 is an excellent TX, equal to the DX8 for 1\3 the price.
How will it stand up? I don't know. So far so good.
I don't understand the logic. It seems like with Spektrum & Futaba. There is nothing to complain about. What input could you expect from your customers if you build it right the first time? All the features are there. You just have to pay for them. You just don't get cross compatibility... Sure it's "overpriced" compared to WK..

Watch WL toys come out with a TX now... That would be funny.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Feb 04, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:03 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,457 Posts
Can someone post some pics of the devention software in action? It sounds like one would have to type code to program certain things. Is this true or Im i reading things wrong? By next year i'll be looking into investing in a devo so im starting my reasearch on it now. A devo 12 with the devention fw would be my last tx purchase for my collection. But not until i sure it will do what i want it to do.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:07 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Can someone post some pics of the devention software in action? It sounds like one would have to type code to program certain things. Is this true or Im i reading things wrong? By next year i'll be looking into investing in a devo so im starting my reasearch on it now. A devo 12 with the devention fw would be my last tx purchase for my collection. But not until i sure it will do what i want it to do.
I think what he is talking about was actually editing the code on the PC before sending it to the TX.. Not sure.

Does anyone know if they sell the touch screens for the Devo 12? I've heard they go bad after a little while. Or will WK fix them? I know they are decent about their TXs. But shipping and downtime might suck. Zadaw recently had his Devo 12 screen go bad. I think he got it fixed. But he lives in HK. Also has anyone heard of this happening with the Devo 8? I've only seen 2 or so cases with the Devo 12. It's probably just random QC issues again.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:11 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,457 Posts
That sounds right integrity, im only going devo because i started with walkera. The 2801pro has been great for me, and all my helis ( and a plane ) use walkera rx's. to make a switch to another brand tx with the same features as the devo12, plus the replacement rx's would be an expensive venture. A devo12 w/ devention fw would solve my problems for around $600.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:13 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I think what he is talking about was actually editing the code on the PC before sending it to the TX.. Not sure.

Does anyone know if they sell the touch screens for the Devo 12? I've heard they go bad after a little while. Or will WK fix them? I know they are decent about their TXs. But shipping and downtime might suck. Zadaw recently had his Devo 12 screen go bad. I think he got it fixed. But he lives in HK.
I got the screen of my Devo 12S fixed but have yet to receive it. The problem is that one of the switches got damaged on the way back and my vendor is fixing that for me. I am not completely sure whether it was a warranty issue or not. I flew in the rain earlier and water had seeped through onto the screen. Black botches then appeared suddenly a few days afterwards. Anyway, I will soon find out whether I was charged or not. Otherwise, .I have flown 1200 flights with the Devo 12S without any other problems.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:14 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,896 Posts
Quote:
That sounds right integrity, im only going devo because i started with walkera. The 2801pro has been great for me, and all my helis ( and a plane ) use walkera rx's. to make a switch to another brand tx with the same features as the devo12, plus the replacement rx's would be an expensive venture. A devo12 w/ devention fw would solve my problems for around $600.
I just think the Devo 12 is too expensive for WK. Thats all.. What difference do you need from the Devo 8 to the Devo 12? Just curious? It's not that different, feature wise.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:15 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,319 Posts
Quote:
This is what a model file looks like. It breaks it down to the channel. After spending some time with it it's not so bad. I actually never change the settings using the Tx. Always plug it into the USB and edit the file but that may be just me. Everything is adjustable from the Tx but I don't have any pics handy.

Edit: Ignore that one. That was garbage. Try this (default.txt)
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Last edited by lasakro; Feb 04, 2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:16 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I got the screen of my Devo 12S fixed but have yet to receive it. The problem is that one of the switches got damaged on the way back and my vendor is fixing that for me. I am not completely sure whether it was a warranty issue or not. I flew in the rain earlier and water had seeped through onto the screen. Black botches then appeared suddenly a few days afterwards. Anyway, I will soon find out whether I was charged or not.
There was one other person, and i can't recall who or where. But they had theirs go bad also. I don't know what became of it. It would be nice if they sold the screen so you could repair it yourself. That is what i want to know.

I didn't realize yours was from water damage. That is definitely significant to remember. I have never been a fan of touch screens. But the life span of them was not something i ever considered. I suppose if it lasts a year or more, you can't expect too much more. But i've always had the idea of all the touch screen problems i've had with phones occurring on my TX... The horror!

It's funny. My phone usually costs more than my average TX (to replace). But i baby my Tx and throw my phone around.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Feb 04, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:29 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,003 Posts
Quote:
There was one other person, and i can't recall who or where. But they had theirs go bad also. I don't know what became of it. It would be nice if they sold the screen so you could repair it yourself. That is what i want to know.

I didn't realize yours was from water damage. That is definitely significant to remember. I have never been a fan of touch screens. But the life span of them was not something i ever considered. I suppose if it lasts a year or more, you can't expect too much more. But i've always had the idea of all the touch screen problems i've had with phones occurring on my TX... The horror!

It's funny. My phone usually costs more than my average TX (to replace). But i baby my Tx and throw my phone around.
I think Bthirsk has a similar problem with his Devo 8S but his vendor refused to help. However, the screen suddenly "healed" on its own and he thinks it was due to humidity.

A tough screen tx is certainly very simple and intuitive to use. I think the main reason why major manufacturers are holding back is the quality of existing LCD screens. There is not one yet available that is bright, uses little power, and is cheap at the same time. If not for the screen, the Devo 8S would have been a truly great transmitter. The screen on the 12S is much better than the 8S.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:29 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,319 Posts
Does anyone know if a Dx4e does something special, mulichannel mode or something, to fly a ch 6 heli? I'm still an DSM infant.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:33 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
Does anyone know if a Dx4e does something special, mulichannel mode or something, to fly a ch 6 heli? I'm still an DSM infant.

Best i can tell...

DX4e's fifth and sixth channels (0 min 17 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:37 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Best i can tell...
Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT looking to get one Someone asked.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:45 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,319 Posts
Wrong thread
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:47 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Just download the emulator from www.deviationtx.com then you can play with it like it was your TX. You can even generate model files using it then copy them over to you radio.
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
Last edited by sbstnp; Feb 04, 2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Fixed url