Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:48 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot glue View Post
I bought a Walkera V100D08 for 80 bucks used on Ebay with a Devo 7. It was my first heli. Ive had it for a week or two now. I skipped the trainer and simulator and went straight at it Ive enjoyed the challenge to get this thing off the ground. All I can do is hover a few feet off the ground, but have really enjoyed it. I still havent gotten the courage to fly in any direction, but that will come. I do like the toughness. My dad had a Eflight Blade cp pro a few years ago. We could never get it off the ground. Parts (especially blades) were always being replaced. I have smacked this micro into a lot of things, and no bent or broken parts

I want another I like the micro size because I can fly it in my house, but I want a bigger. 250-450 size is what Id like. I can agree that Walkera has been my "gateway drug".
Hey, how do you feel about getting a new TX? I would recommend it. I don't know if the Devo 7 is compatible with the Deviation firmware hack to use DSM2 and now DSMX. But the Devo 7 is not the greatest, or most favored TX in the Devo like, either way. I personally highly recommend the Spektrum DX8, if you can afford it. But most people seem to be enjoying their Devo 8 or other Walkera Devo controllers using the hacked firmware... The firmware is looking pretty reliable these days. So that is the more affordable road.

With that part out of the way, it leaves you open to a whole world of options. If you are not ready to start your first heli build, and it sounds like your not quite there yet. Because a bigger helicopter requires a lot more maintenance and repairs are a little more complex, some times. So you need to know how to repair them, before you can build them. In a sense. So if you don't feel comfortable building, i would recommend a Blade 300X or 450X. The 500X is actually the nicest one i've seen. It's nearly all carbon fiber frame and blades. The rotor bits are still plastic though. But it's a nice RTF heli that shouldn't give you any major issues. (like some other bigger RTF brands, IMO... Most other RTF brands, honestly). You can't expect a RTF to really go the distance, life wise. But they will get you learning. Otherwise, i'd highly recommend going to a LHS, if you have a decent one around. They will often build helis for you. It could be expensive. But venturing into your own build is a learning experience, it should not be rushed. When you just start out, you will want to rush to try to fly. Thats bad juju.. Trust me. There are lots of people here including myself that can answer questions and help you out. I would even be willing to do a build for you real cheap, just for my own personal experience. The shipping part might kill you though. Depends on what a local would charge to build you a heli though. Some people charge $200-400 to do a build, depending on whats getting installed it could be more. I know i've heard of people charging over $300 just to setup a Vbar gyro. Not even to do the build

Good luck whatever you end up doing. Take your time, ask about the products before you buy them, here or elsewhere. Don't end up buying something you might regret. Research always has some benefits.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Feb 04, 2013 at 03:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:35 AM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
How does the flysky th9x do with helis
hot glue is offline Find More Posts by hot glue
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:42 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot glue View Post
How does the flysky th9x do with helis
I don't know anything about it. But i would probably stick with your Devo 7 over that. Just looking very quickly at it in a google search. Others might know more. But the Devo 7 is not that bad. It's just most people prefer the other devo TXs, the Devo 10 being the cheapest i think. Next to your devo 7 that is.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:55 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
hot glue, the biggest problem with the devo 7 is that it's really a pain to program. Once you have that down though, it has quite a bit of functionality.

a while ago i made some videos for a few people of how to program the devo 7 and put them on my youtube channel, dilbertoheli. They are long and boring, but if you have troubles with that tx they might help u out a little.

Like Integrity said, take it slow and work your way up. This is a hobby that one can spend years with and not get bored
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:57 AM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,326 Posts
Hot glue: the Devo 7 that you have won't load the Deviation FW (No USB). The 7e development continues. The best bang for your buck is the Devo 10 at $130 - 150 range. The Devo 6, 8, and 12 are also compateble with Deviation and with it will do Spektrum. Those Tx's have current Deviation releases. Flysky protocol is for the WL Toys stuff.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Last edited by lasakro; Feb 03, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:15 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,326 Posts
whoops
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:41 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
Flysky protocol is for the WL Toys stuff.
Not really, FlySky is a better protocol than Devention simply by being Frequency Hopping, which Devention isn't (DSSS with 3 channels only marginally better than DSM2 and inferior to most FHSS protocols like FlySky, FrSky, DSMX, FASST, Hitec AFHSS, etc). Wl Toys using it is just a fortunate coincidence I guess.

If one wants to use FlySky with Deviation for anything other than WL Toys stuff, a module with PA + LNA is needed otherwise with a v911 module range is really short.

FlySky 9X = Turnigy 9X = Awesome for 50 bucks. Couple with a FrSky module and receivers and you have a high-power FH protocol. Get an OrangeRX DSM2/DSMX module and you can fly HH BNFs. Flash er9x and it becomes similar to Deviation (was inspired by er9x).
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:48 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
Not really, FlySky is a better protocol than Devention simply by being Frequency Hopping, which Devention isn't (DSSS with 3 channels only marginally better than DSM2 and inferior to most FHSS protocols like FlySky, FrSky, DSMX, FASST, Hitec AFHSS, etc). Wl Toys using it is just a fortunate coincidence I guess.

If one wants to use FlySky with Deviation for anything other than WL Toys stuff, a module with PA + LNA is needed otherwise with a v911 module range is really short.

FlySky 9X = Turnigy 9X = Awesome for 50 bucks. Couple with a FrSky module and receivers and you have a high-power FH protocol. Get an OrangeRX DSM2/DSMX module and you can fly HH BNFs. Flash er9x and it becomes similar to Deviation (was inspired by er9x).

Do you know anything about the SLT protocol, and what it actually is? Heli-Max is using this on their adverts for their TX protocol and in their manual. They have a device called the AnyLink that i guess is similar to a magic cube, except it has a full TX antenna on it. I don't know what actual protocol it is though. I guess those flysky TX are what you would get for your Wl toys models so you can have some programmability?

It seems like to me, the protocols are just a choice the mfg. made. For whatever reason. But obviously, it's mostly software related. So in Walkera's case. I think they went with the thing that might give them the most exclusivity to their brand... In other words. I think it's an attempt a keeping their devices proprietary. I don't think they actually expected Deviation to roll around. I can only imagine it helps their sales though. They probably love it, in reality. Otherwise people would be using other brands TX, at least in the US. I think more people do use other brands anyway. Be it cheaper DSM2 brands or Spektrum & Futaba directly. I sure seem to see a lot of spectrum neck straps around. Even the retired old guys flying planes around here in Florida all use Spektrum or just a cheap 2.4 ghz tx from Hobbyking. I've seen a few guys using that Orange TX. It's pretty good for how cheap they are. If it wasn't orange it would look just like a DX6 .
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:54 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Do you know anything about the SLT protocol, and what it actually is? Heli-Max is using this on their adverts for their TX protocol and in their manual. They have a device called the AnyLink that i guess is similar to a magic cube, except it has a full TX antenna on it. I don't know what actual protocol it is though. I guess those flysky TX are what you would get for your Wl toys models so you can have some programmability?

It seems like to me, the protocols are just a choice the mfg. made. For whatever reason. But obviously, it's mostly software related. So in Walkera's case. I think they went with the thing that might give them the most exclusivity to their brand... In other words. I think it's an attempt a keeping their devices proprietary. I don't think they actually expected Deviation to roll around. I can only imagine it helps their sales though. They probably love it, in reality. Otherwise people would be using other brands TX, at least in the US. I think more people do use other brands anyway. Be it cheaper DSM2 brands or Spektrum & Futaba directly. I sure seem to see a lot of spectrum neck straps around. Even the retired old guys flying planes around here in Florida all use Spektrum or just a cheap 2.4 ghz tx from Hobbyking. I've seen a few guys using that Orange TX. It's pretty good for how cheap they are. If it wasn't orange it would look just like a DX6 .
No idea what SLT is all about. Probably some iteration of a Nine Eagles protocol, since NE, Futaba, Tactic, etc are under Hobbico's umbrella.

I said it before and I say it again, Deviation is win-win-win-win-win for everybody.

1. Walkera sells more RTF packages and transmitters
2. HH sells more BNF helis and planes
3. NE sells more.
4. ???
5. We profit.

With Deviation onboard my Devo 10 is probably more powerful/flexible than your DX8 (yeah I know you live in the US and you have great CS from HH, I don't). You know why? Because if I don't like something I just go into the code and modify it to suit my needs. Open source baby. And we all have to thank PhracturedBlue for it.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:01 AM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,326 Posts
Quote:
because if i don't like something i just go into the code and modify it to suit my needs. Open source baby. And we all have to thank phracturedblue for it.
+1...
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:17 AM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
I have noticed how tough it is to program the devo 7. I have only messed with dual rates, and it took me awhile. I only asked bout the Flysky th9x because I just got it.
hot glue is offline Find More Posts by hot glue
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:31 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,493 Posts
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Feb 04, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:39 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,364 Posts
Quote:
ah, thats all great and everything. Side issue for me though, Walkera is a Chinese product and i have no intention of supporting China, or Chinese products any longer. If i can avoid it. Between my government and theirs. They are both destroying everyone's way of life around here. I'm voting with my dollars. The only vote that actually means anything in this world anymore. But Walkera has made it too easy to discard them, in my book. I used to think i couldn't avoid chinese products in this hobby. OR i couldn't afford not to buy them... Turns out, i couldn't afford TO BUY them. I had it wrong. If i would have just spent the extra money for better quality stuff. I would be much richer right now.
Where do you think you're DX8 is made? Chicago?
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:42 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, thats all great and everything. Deviation is nice. Their hardware still sucks and feels cheap. The switches need to be lubed in the humid corrosive air here in florida, or they are very hard to throw. I'm waiting for my DX8 to see if the same thing happens. The TH switch i replaced on my 2801 is the hardest to throw, because i replaced it with a cheap switch. The DX8 sticks and switches are in a different league from the 2801. It's given me no confidence in the Devo line, thats for sure. I hear they made the sticks better, but i don't know. The DX8 does have all the functions that the Devo 10 has. Except i don't think the devo 10 has 3 position switches for all of the switches plus the added rudder DR/EXPO switch. For a total of 3 DR/Expo switches. One for each axis. Plus a gear and TH switch too. It also has 3 position Gyro/flap switch and 3 position Aux2/Gov mode switch. The only thing i don't like is the Aux 3 knob. I don't know what i would ever use an assignable knob for. But all in all the DX8 has 9 assignable control surfaces. The DX8 comes out of the box with assignable switches. I consider the DX8 the "minimum requirements". Especially if your trying to compete feature wise with WK. But hardware, dependability, and quality/feel wise. The DX8 is a far and above winner, IMO.
Don't get me wrong I wasn't talking about hardware. Pure software. Hardware is a different matter, my Devo 10 (which I see as a cheap entry level TX) is still looking and performing great. I'm sure I don't have your mileage though. The only thing that happened to mine was my son 'repaired' the plastic display cover with a screwdriver. But I fixed that with some Displex plastic polishing compound and it's like new.

Quote:
Side issue for me though, Walkera is a Chinese product and i have no intention of supporting China, or Chinese products any longer. If i can avoid it. Between my government and theirs. They are both destroying everyone's way of life around here. I'm voting with my dollars. The only vote that actually means anything in this world anymore. But Walkera has made it too easy to discard them, in my book.
Your reasons are your own and I won't judge you, but please do read on the back of your DX8 and tell me where it's made. I'm sure it doesn't say 'Made in the USA'. Or any European country.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:49 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,493 Posts
Quote:
Don't get me wrong I wasn't talking about hardware. Pure software. Hardware is a different matter, my Devo 10 (which I see as a cheap entry level TX) is still looking and performing great. I'm sure I don't have your mileage though. The only thing that happened to mine was my son 'repaired' the plastic display cover with a screwdriver. But I fixed that with some Displex plastic polishing compound and it's like new.

Your reasons are your own and I won't judge you, but please do read on the back of your DX8 and tell me where it's made. I'm sure it doesn't say 'Made in the USA'. Or any European country.
Your probably right. government regulation, taxes and tax breaks, labor costs. All things combined make it almost impossible for US companies to produce anything locally. It's just a matter of "Trying". Thats all.. Even if it's almost impossible.

I really don't want to get into this. The issue is very far reaching and deeply rooted into politics.