HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:08 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
I know, seriously, I'm kind of afraid to fly it. I have not done the maiden, yet, even a week later after finishing the build.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:45 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Hi guys, just want to let you all know I finally got my 450 pro back up and running. I posted a couple of pics in my blog. Now day, the heli is almost entirely an align trex, with the exception of the electronics, of course.
Looking good there Nav!!

Let us know how the maiden turns out. Just bite the bullet and do it!!
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:46 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
I will, I will, I promise.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:52 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Thats how i feel about my plane. Ive put so much work into getting it ready to fly, it would suck for it to suffer another one of my "noobie" landings.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:57 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
I find that it takes a lot emotionally to test out a new or rebuild heli. I have to trust my building skills, my flying skills, my ability to respond if something unexpected happens, all in addition to not knowing how the bird is going to behave. But I wil make myself do it.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:31 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
I re-maidened my protos after the 12s conversion today (w/ AR7200bx + devo 8s) so if anyone wants to check that out you can find it here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1822505
flint723 is online now Find More Posts by flint723
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:08 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
I re-maidened my protos after the 12s conversion today (w/ AR7200bx + devo 8s) so if anyone wants to check that out you can find it here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1822505
Nice! that thing looks like a beast!!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:35 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
btw, is there any consensus here over what is the appropriate amount of flights / rebuilds until it's time to just get a brand new frame for the components??? I've done it once before

I have this darn tail wag on my 450 3gx that started more or less out of nowhere, it's been flown i don't know how many flights, crashed i don't know how many times, and now test hovering it something very strange happened. The link between the swash plate and one of the blade grips bent a lot

Looking at it i think the main shaft is slightly bent, but still, strange. Not sure if the slight main shaft bend was from before or after today when the ball link bent (a lot) out of nowhere...

The history of it - It went from flying fine to tail wag (that was months ago and i'm only now really getting back into the beef of it). but i remember very specifically that nothing happened, cause it was when i tried to show off to my colleagues that the tail wag started, and i would not have flown it for them if i wasn't positive that it was flying perfect.....

I'm having a hard time testing it now cause my batteries didn't quite survive the move, they only last a few minutes now. But i've tried a few things already: cleaned the servos, reset the tail setup, and a few other basics. Next I'm about to swap the main shaft, bent ball joint link, tail section, possibly the main blade grips, and maybe a few gears at the same time ... and i'll cross my fingers and hope that helps.

I'm really just wondering, should i just say screw it, it's had a few hundred flights and more than enough crashes, and just buy a new body instead??? then i could use this for spares.

Meanwhile my tarot frame with the 2702 and a mix of components is flying great, so i have something to swap parts with if needed to figure out the problem, and i'm up for putting the work into swapping out parts, though it hurts to tear apart a smooth flying heli

I'm a little short on heli funds now, so i'm not sure what to do, try to fix this 450 3gx or buy a new frame and use these 3gx components.... I'm curious on how many flights/crashes/rebuilds you all get out of your frames.

Thoughts anyone, on the best way to proceed??
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:44 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Hi Dilberto, I have heard that when the tail grip bearings start to go, they cause a tail wag. Apparently, this is very common with the 450 size helis. Tarot makes tail grips that have thrust bearings that are said to eliminate that wagging/bearing failure problem. That bent grip link sounds like something that could happen in your move--maybe you just didn't notice it right away.

As far as the frame is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it as long as it is doing its job well. Replace any bent parts and go flying. Just my thoughts.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:56 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Hi Dilberto, I have heard that when the tail grip bearings start to go, they cause a tail wag. Apparently, this is very common with the 450 size helis. Tarot makes tail grips that have thrust bearings that are said to eliminate that wagging/bearing failure problem. That bent grip link sounds like something that could happen in your move--maybe you just didn't notice it right away.

As far as the frame is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it as long as it is doing its job well. Replace any bent parts and go flying. Just my thoughts.
Thanks Nav, I know i can always rely on your informed opinions!!

Tomorrow i'll start replacing parts one by one and see what helps, starting with the tail grips. Since i have a known working heli with a tarot frame, that's a plus
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:20 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
It could also be that your batteries are not producing the rpm they used to and causing a tail wag???
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:07 AM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
2801 inside frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Here is one pic. I tried to upload 6 but i'm still working with this iphone. I guess i'll have to load them one at a time for now, but this pic shows the rx inside the frame with all plugs sticking out of the side. You can also see where i drilled a hole in the bottom frame for one of the attenas which is protected with heat shrink.
looks good. I take it that is not the HK frame, looks to me by the pic that it is a winrc frame, I have both frames and am going to install a beastx but it looks like the HK frame would not be as accomadating without some modifications(cutting). Maybe I'll just buy another kit and start from scratch, since I have a spare set of electronics. All that i will need to get is servos and tail servo. thinking Hitech 5055's and savox 1357.
Do you have any suggestions ???
P.S. thanks for posting the pics, great idea mounting the 2801 inside the frame...
Oh and what supplier did you use for the battery and canopy mount?
segdohbird is offline Find More Posts by segdohbird
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:43 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Its an EXI 450 pro frame from xheli. I got the battery tray and canopy clip from hk-parts.com (not hobbyking). They are Alzrc upgrades.

Those servos should be fine. I use 5055's and have a savox 1357 on my 500. Very reliable and not too expensive.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:15 AM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
I bought a Walkera V100D08 for 80 bucks used on Ebay with a Devo 7. It was my first heli. Ive had it for a week or two now. I skipped the trainer and simulator and went straight at it Ive enjoyed the challenge to get this thing off the ground. All I can do is hover a few feet off the ground, but have really enjoyed it. I still havent gotten the courage to fly in any direction, but that will come. I do like the toughness. My dad had a Eflight Blade cp pro a few years ago. We could never get it off the ground. Parts (especially blades) were always being replaced. I have smacked this micro into a lot of things, and no bent or broken parts

I want another I like the micro size because I can fly it in my house, but I want a bigger. 250-450 size is what Id like. I can agree that Walkera has been my "gateway drug".
hot glue is offline Find More Posts by hot glue
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:31 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot glue View Post
I bought a Walkera V100D08 for 80 bucks used on Ebay with a Devo 7. It was my first heli. Ive had it for a week or two now. I skipped the trainer and simulator and went straight at it Ive enjoyed the challenge to get this thing off the ground. All I can do is hover a few feet off the ground, but have really enjoyed it. I still havent gotten the courage to fly in any direction, but that will come. I do like the toughness. My dad had a Eflight Blade cp pro a few years ago. We could never get it off the ground. Parts (especially blades) were always being replaced. I have smacked this micro into a lot of things, and no bent or broken parts

I want another I like the micro size because I can fly it in my house, but I want a bigger. 250-450 size is what Id like. I can agree that Walkera has been my "gateway drug".
Lol, yeah, sounds familiar....

If you're going to go bigger, I'd suggest the 450 size, i've heard the 250's are a real pita to work on. The tarot frames are good, and there is a whole host of electronics or different gyros you can use. If you have the devo7 controller already, you can get a basic receiver and use it with any of the gyros. I'm using my walkera 2801 tx with a 450 3gx and it works pretty well.

Oh, kdean, i did give it a try with turning up my motor speed like you suggested to get rid of the tail wag but no luck there... Then today I just swapped out the entire tail section with my known working heli with the tarot frame and that seemed to do the trick, so it's one of those parts.

I put the working heli back together. Then on the 3gx I noticed the tail slider was sticking a little bit, and oil didn't help, so I just used some spares from my spare bin and changed out the tail slider and the tail grips. Waiting on the loctite to dry and have my fingers crossed that fixed it. I'm glad it's not the tail servo though!!