HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:44 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Well, how much are hoping to get for each 2702 and the 2618? Individually, I mean.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:38 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
By the way, Walkera is going into cell phone accessories. Perhaps they are taking the lead of Helipal who is reported to have made millions with cell phone and tablet accessories last year. www.more-thing.com

Helipal is reported to have bought a factory in China to produce their own Storm brand of helicopters. Perhaps they and Walkera are going to change places soon! If you can produce a case for $2 and sell it for over $40, why bother making helicopters at all?

zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:32 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Well, how much are hoping to get for each 2702 and the 2618? Individually, I mean.
I don't know really. Make me an offer. The 2702V's (two good ones i have) cost me about $120 each, just a few months back. The 2618V was/is $60 new. You can PM if you like, or whatever. I'm willing to negotiate.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:37 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I did my first 'solo flight' with my plane today (not counting the first time I flew this plane that lead to the cradh, that lead to me owning the plane. This flight was me, all alone at the field today. I went out a little early, thinking i could get alot of free runway time to taxi the plane around, and get some quick 'up and back down' hops in. I had no real intent on flying this plane the way it was setup. I only had a motor and prop that made me have to use a 2s pack, and that caused the plane to be tail heavy and under powered. It does have a 2 to 1 thrust to weight ratio, but would not be enough to save me when i try to fly it like a helicopter. Anyway, i spent the first two mins or so prancing up and down the runway, each time getting faster and faster. It got to the point to where i could feel the plane leaving the ground then putting it back down as smooth as possible. After a nice smooth run, and thinking to myself 'i can do it again, a little higher next time', I brought it back around and went for a second try. Well this time it got up smooth but when tried to bring it back down, it bounced and the nose was pointing way up. I was running out of runway and thought to myself in that split second, 'i gatta fly it now or face the damage of trying to put it down now.' So full throttle, level out the nose, and away i went.

The flight was short, and i was just trying to find out what it takes to keep this plane in the air. I should have gained a bunch of altitude and tried to sort things out up high, but i was handeling getting the plane around even though it was pitching up and wanting to tip all the time. It flew alot better when i was bringing it back down wind, but once i turned into the wind it got tippy again. So, i decided to quit while i was ahead and bring it down in the middle of the grass field. This is where all the bad things happen. I was trying to cut the throttle just enough to allow it to safely drop altitude but the tail heavy, under powered plane plane took over, and it rocked back then tip stalled tight on to its nose.

Not the most gracefull landings, but the damage is only the prop and the fire wall. $2 for the prop, i have a slab of balsa to rebuild the fire wall, but the amount of time its going to take to fix is deturing me from planes all together. Measuring, cutting, drilling, sanding, glueing, screwing... not like the remove and replace repairs of a heli. I think foam planes will be the next step for me. Glue and squeez.
Very interesting! This sounds almost exactly like my bi-plane "Pitts Special" in the Phoenix 4.0 simulator. It is extremely powerful! You can make it "hover" like a helicopter. I have discovered landing is the most difficult thing you can do. I spend a huge amount of time with landing training. Great fun!
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
Very interesting! This sounds almost exactly like my bi-plane "Pitts Special" in the Phoenix 4.0 simulator. It is extremely powerful! You can make it "hover" like a helicopter. I have discovered landing is the most difficult thing you can do. I spend a huge amount of time with landing training. Great fun!
Take off, and landing, take off, and landing. That's what you spend hours doing in pilot training. Touch, and go, over, and over. When you think you've got it right in light wind try it with heavy cross winds. Keep the wing down on the windward side. Great fun.
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:02 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Take off, and landing, take off, and landing. That's what you spend hours doing in pilot training. Touch, and go, over, and over. When you think you've got it right in light wind try it with heavy cross winds. Keep the wing down on the windward side. Great fun.
Is it really that hard for a heli pilot? I mean.... It seems like planks are pretty easy in the sim. I never gave it much focus though. It kind of seems like if your plane is up to the task and has the power to push through winds, or the size to glide well. Something like that. I don't know, i guess i'm just used to watching the guys over here fly planks all day making it look easy to land on the runway. Keep in mind, it's windy as hell over here. I suppose i should give it a shot in the sim. I might get a plank one day. I doubt i'll ever fly it as much as the helis. But with the new year here, i plan on getting AMA and joining the local fields & clubs. Then i'll have a runway. I want keys to the damn fields, so i have to pay their club fees and things. But it might be worth it. The one by my house is only good to fly at in the mornings though, otherwise the sun will blind you. Hardly worth $200 a year just for me to never wake up in time to make it out there But still. I might do it anyway.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:17 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,661 Posts
Its a totally different way of thinking of flight. You need to keep foward speed to maintain lift. Im so used to haveing my heli just hover infront of me that i have to think to remember to keep the plane moving fast enough to keep the wings from tipping. You can ask any plane pilot about the dreaded tip stall.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:23 AM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,403 Posts
I have to constantly focus on keeping the tail up and plane level. Seems like the tail wants to fall constantly.

I started doing the take off and land thing tonight. I had to get good enough at landing first. Then it is a challenge knowing how far to fly away in order to have enough time to turn around, get stabelized, adjust air speed for steady downward decent AND stay on target. Then as soon as it touches down I give it forward stick to keep it from bouncing all over the place.

I still have trouble flying my helis nose in. I've been doing a lot of nose in practice. I got started with the plane in an effort to reinforce that training and get more used to flying full circle. It seems to help.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:56 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
I have to constantly focus on keeping the tail up and plane level. Seems like the tail wants to fall constantly.

I started doing the take off and land thing tonight. I had to get good enough at landing first. Then it is a challenge knowing how far to fly away in order to have enough time to turn around, get stabelized, adjust air speed for steady downward decent AND stay on target. Then as soon as it touches down I give it forward stick to keep it from bouncing all over the place.

I still have trouble flying my helis nose in. I've been doing a lot of nose in practice. I got started with the plane in an effort to reinforce that training and get more used to flying full circle. It seems to help.

I suppose physical manipulators like games, RC, or driving a real vehicle has always came easy to me. But i'm sure video games and early, early, early constant use of MS Flight Simulator (in the 90s) and other flight type games has me feeling much more comfortable on a plank in the sim, than say maybe a complete "first timer". I remember learning to land in MS Flight Sim. That was not the easiest thing either. I've even flown a few small planes like a Piper Warrior my grandfather used to co-own.

As far as nose in goes, i've only just started seriously doing it. I'm still very uncomfortable in a lot of orientations. Here is some of the V450BX flights with nose in flips.. The wind and changes in collective control because of the wind are the hardest part to get used to. It would be a lot easier if i could learn in a low wind environment, then in a windy one i would be more practiced and the wind corrections would be easier to consider.

V450BX - Pack 4 - 01-21-13 (4 min 19 sec)

V450BX - Pack 5 - 01-21-13 (5 min 18 sec)

And a nose in landing with my X5, which for me was very brave on the X5. But nose in has become much more comfortable to me lately.

Gaui X5 - Flight 147 (6 min 1 sec)
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jan 25, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:01 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,166 Posts
Quad 4x4

....talking 'bout Walkera n beyond,this is mine with Walkera RX-2608 RX and 2801 TX.

KK2.0-1.4V* 4x4QUAD- 4MOTORS-4SERVO RE-MAIDEN (8 min 39 sec)
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Co2x pvc quad 2
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:09 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
....talking 'bout Walkera n beyond,this is mine with Walkera RX-2608 RX and 2801 TX.

http://youtu.be/a7qodtL4O_I

Now that is pretty cool. I don't know weather i want to do quads or planks more these days.. I think i'll wait for CP quads though. It's coming, i'm sure.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:07 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post

http://youtu.be/a7qodtL4O_I
That is cool! I would like to see some close up pictures when you get a chance
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:25 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Now that is pretty cool. I don't know weather i want to do quads or planks more these days.. I think i'll wait for CP quads though. It's coming, i'm sure.
I was working on a conceptual design for a quad with CP tails from trex 450 pros. I read somewhere that it already had been tried and didn't work out too well, so I dropped it. Maybe, I should look into this again.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:52 AM
Joined Oct 2010
2,166 Posts
4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Thanks bro ! Quads are just addicting as helis. My plan was just to build a very simple 4 motor quads and now,I have like almost all configuation on multi-rotors...and still counting. Thanks for liking it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:55 AM
Joined Oct 2010
2,166 Posts
Quad 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
That is cool! I would like to see some close up pictures when you get a chance
Dil, How you been brother ?
Yes, I will upload some close-up pix later for you....
RCG Plus Member