Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:04 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,488 Posts
I had a great weekend. Here are some videos from yesterday. Todays will be uploaded tonight.

V450BX - Pack 4 - 01-19-13 (4 min 19 sec)

V450BX - Pack 5 - 01-19-13 (3 min 52 sec)

Gaui X5 - Flight 133 - New Tail pitch slider (6 min 40 sec)

Gaui X5 - Flight 136 (6 min 13 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:57 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,593 Posts
I did my first 'solo flight' with my plane today (not counting the first time I flew this plane that lead to the cradh, that lead to me owning the plane. This flight was me, all alone at the field today. I went out a little early, thinking i could get alot of free runway time to taxi the plane around, and get some quick 'up and back down' hops in. I had no real intent on flying this plane the way it was setup. I only had a motor and prop that made me have to use a 2s pack, and that caused the plane to be tail heavy and under powered. It does have a 2 to 1 thrust to weight ratio, but would not be enough to save me when i try to fly it like a helicopter. Anyway, i spent the first two mins or so prancing up and down the runway, each time getting faster and faster. It got to the point to where i could feel the plane leaving the ground then putting it back down as smooth as possible. After a nice smooth run, and thinking to myself 'i can do it again, a little higher next time', I brought it back around and went for a second try. Well this time it got up smooth but when tried to bring it back down, it bounced and the nose was pointing way up. I was running out of runway and thought to myself in that split second, 'i gatta fly it now or face the damage of trying to put it down now.' So full throttle, level out the nose, and away i went.

The flight was short, and i was just trying to find out what it takes to keep this plane in the air. I should have gained a bunch of altitude and tried to sort things out up high, but i was handeling getting the plane around even though it was pitching up and wanting to tip all the time. It flew alot better when i was bringing it back down wind, but once i turned into the wind it got tippy again. So, i decided to quit while i was ahead and bring it down in the middle of the grass field. This is where all the bad things happen. I was trying to cut the throttle just enough to allow it to safely drop altitude but the tail heavy, under powered plane plane took over, and it rocked back then tip stalled tight on to its nose.

Not the most gracefull landings, but the damage is only the prop and the fire wall. $2 for the prop, i have a slab of balsa to rebuild the fire wall, but the amount of time its going to take to fix is deturing me from planes all together. Measuring, cutting, drilling, sanding, glueing, screwing... not like the remove and replace repairs of a heli. I think foam planes will be the next step for me. Glue and squeez.

I did fly three packs through the 450pro/bx, and i took my frustrations out on it. Had some great flights on it, when i was not concerend with 'i wonder if it will stay in one piece'.

Oh yeah, i also got an iphone today, so i'm in the process of transfering my info out of this old nokia.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Last edited by kdean; Jan 21, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:19 AM
Australia, QLD, Clontarf
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I think foam planes will be the next step for me. Glue and squeez.
Yes defiantly, Foam planes are the way to go for learning, there isn't much that a heat gun and some hot glue and 5 minutes can't fix on a foamie.

I recommend the Bixler from hobby king.
brad1601 is offline Find More Posts by brad1601
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:37 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,326 Posts
Integrity- I really want to thank you for your higher end advice, big time! After I got done flying the V120 around the yard I brought out the Devil 480 with the uBeast. I've got 3 acres so it's pretty wide open. Holy crap the thing is so smooth. I've got it set for sport but I'm a wimp. It was pretty straight forward to set up. This hobby definitely beats chasing down rockets in surrounding fields. No more of that. Thanks again.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:50 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
Integrity- I really want to thank you for your higher end advice, big time! After I got done flying the V120 around the yard I brought out the Devil 480 with the uBeast. I've got 3 acres so it's pretty wide open. Holy crap the thing is so smooth. I've got it set for sport but I'm a wimp. It was pretty straight forward to set up. This hobby definitely beats chasing down rockets in surrounding fields. No more of that. Thanks again.
I'm glad your enjoying it! I'm a little jealous of all you guys building them. I should just stop dumping money into my old train wrecks and move on to something else. But i just can't. I have to make them right. I just bought a $100 set of MKS servos for my little 4f200. I'm going to put a beastX in it with those servos and hope that once and for all the 4f200 flies like a dream machine with 3 blades. I'm not expecting crazy 3D. Just the basics with some better stability. So i'm investing almost as much as it would cost me to just build a 480 after everything. But now with the Compass Warp 360 on the scene, i might have to seriously consider that when the time comes to get a new heli. Though i might actually end up getting a 700 or something, now. I never thought i could afford a 700 in a crash. But that was when Walkera had my mind completely conditioned to believe it's normal for your heli to keep falling out of the sky. I just don't think i have much room for one. The one problem with big helicopters is transporting the batteries as well as the heli to the field. The 450 is a pretty nice size and the X5 fits in my back seat. If i had a 700, would i then end up leaving the X5 at home some days, or something? It could start getting crowded over here with all these helicopters adding up. For now, i'll stick with my Gaui X5 and keep enjoying it as long as i can.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:07 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I'm glad your enjoying it! I'm a little jealous of all you guys building them. I should just stop dumping money into my old train wrecks and move on to something else. But i just can't. I have to make them right. I just bought a $100 set of MKS servos for my little 4f200. I'm going to put a beastX in it with those servos and hope that once and for all the 4f200 flies like a dream machine with 3 blades. I'm not expecting crazy 3D. Just the basics with some
n.
You said that very well. I did the same thing with my Walkers. Still have a bunch of them. I just couldn't give them up till I had them working perfect. just need more batteries .
Getting ready to maiden the 500, now with slant cut gears,iKON brain gyro, Align DFC head. I going to go w/o external bec. I mounted the ecs under the battery tray and with on receiver(running two DSMX sats) this thing looks naked
Oh yeah, the torque tube conversion also
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Last edited by barnstorm100; Jan 22, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:31 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
You said that very well. I did the same thing with my Walkers. Still have a bunch of them. I just couldn't give them up till I had them working perfect. just need more batteries .
Getting ready to maiden the 500, now with slant cut gears,iKON brain gyro, Align DFC head. I going to go w/o external bec. I mounted the ecs under the battery tray and with on receiver(running two DSMX sats) this thing looks naked
Oh yeah, the torque tube conversion also
LET IT LOOSE! Lol... Shoot some video. Those slant gears should be nice and quiet.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:58 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Anybody else dreaming of a giant field and unlimited heli funds.... oh what i would do with that (fully decked out workshop, great tools, full sets of spares, all the best in helis, planes and cars....) common lottery, where u been!!!!

meanwhile i thought i had my v400 set up and ready to go but stripped the main gear trying to test hover it. Realized i was using some 315mm blades from what must have been a much older 450 (my collegues old one) that had bigger holes in the blades where the bolts go through. I'm guessing them not being set when i spun up caused the main gear to strip.

I'm about this close () to transferring the electronics from that thing onto another 450 clone, making a tail motor driven clone like nav and some others have done. That would still be a good beginner that i can bash around or lend to people to learn to fly (not having to replace tail gears etc is a big plus when starting out). And also a huge plus would be that it would share spares with my other two helis. Hmm, decisions decisions. I'm out of main gears for the v400 though so i need to figure out what i want to do. Thoughts??
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:08 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,950 Posts
Thoughts? Just one: Do it. If you enjoy the V400, but don't want the well-known downsides of Walkera, then you should just go for it. Just pick up a cheap clone 450 kit, transfer all of the V400 electronics, and of course be prepared to replace some things with Align parts. I went with the VWinRC kit, but also used an Align rotor head and washout. The VWinRC swash has been great, but the rotor head was not aligned right out of the box. I also went with Hitec servos, which was a solid plus to this build.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:41 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
thanks for the suggestion Nav, I was kinda leaning that way but wanted opinions. i'll start looking around for a frame kit, maybe another tarot kit... a little pricey for a clone but i won't need to use any align parts so it kinda makes up for it.

I still have the fusonics which work plenty good enough to use, but two of the darn cases are broke where the screw goes in. I have it rigged in the v400 but if i transfer it i might go ahead and get new servos too.

Anybody in europe that would want to buy a frame and ton of v400 spares off me?? either that or i'll just keep the heli on the shelf for the sentimental value... without that heli i would have never gotten into this hobby. It allowed me to piece it together (i.e. not forking out 500+ from the get go and hearing about it from my wife how it will "collect dust") and learn the ropes of the heli world. But, if somebody can get some good use out of it i'd like that too.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:50 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,950 Posts
No need for sentiment, but I understand. When I first contemplated switching over to the 450 frame, I felt a bit sad that I would be 'getting rid' of my very first CP heli--the one that started it all, the one that was a birthday gift from my family, the one that had the dual brushless system that was also a gift from my family a year later. But then, I realized that by using all of the really good, essential parts (rx and electronics) in the new frame, I would in fact still be using the heli, just with the mother of all upgrades. So, that first heli continues on as a solid member of my fleet.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:17 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
No need for sentiment, but I understand. When I first contemplated switching over to the 450 frame, I felt a bit sad that I would be 'getting rid' of my very first CP heli--the one that started it all, the one that was a birthday gift from my family, the one that had the dual brushless system that was also a gift from my family a year later. But then, I realized that by using all of the really good, essential parts (rx and electronics) in the new frame, I would in fact still be using the heli, just with the mother of all upgrades. So, that first heli continues on as a solid member of my fleet.
Well put!! It's just a super mod!

I'll look around for a frame, there is a local hobby store here (only one though, in such a big city i figured there'd be more) that has a good selection and might actually carry clone frames. Not sure though but i'll check them out before i buy something online cause i like to support local if i can. I've actually seen a few of the smaller walkera helis there.

Speaking of which, more than once i've contemplated the idea of opening a hobby store that welcomes and carries clones and everything else. Something along the lines of a motto like "i don't care if you bought it from me, i'll help you fix it" .... hmmm, not sure if i can risk the investment though, that's the only thing keeping me from doing that. Anybody else tossed around an idea like that? We all know from experience that helis are the smart man's crack addiction, hard put down and easy to spend all your money on
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:35 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,950 Posts
I've seen a few ads here in So. Cal on Craigslist by guys that will fix any type of RC helicopter. Much like other types of repairs, they charge an initial, investigation fee that can be put towards fixing the actual problem that was found.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:28 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,488 Posts
I have a V450D01 airframe i'd be willing to sell. It's in pretty good condition with Abec 3 upgraded main shaft bearings. I blew out the cyclic servos on it so it's been grounded for a while now. The repair parts aren't going anywhere for a while on the D01 and the airframe is actually the most solid well build thing walkera makes (imo). I also happen to have some 2702V (working and good) rx units sitting here i'm no longer going to be using. If you replace the main gears with Align gears (currently installed full Align gear assembly) The heli is very cheap to repair and easy to maintain. I actually LOVE the fact that it has a belt tail. Because it uses the same belt as the Align sport model. It's MUCH cheaper in a crash because there are no gears to strip. The tail boom and tail box would be 100% compatible with align or clone parts too. The rotor head is the EXACT same as the V400, so you would already have some spare parts that would work for the new V450 build. The swash is different though, i think.

I feel the same way about my first CP... just can't get rid of it. It was the 4f200. I just can't seem to be able to sell it or put it away. I am currently endeavoring into installing MKS servos, a new ESC and a BeastX (eventually). It's funny what sentiment can do to us, isn't it? OH, i suppose that also means i will have a 2618V rx for sale too.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:42 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,326 Posts
You may find some interest from a V400 owner. Throw the idea up on the Walkera V400D02D tread. Just a thought.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro