HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:30 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
Me too. It makes for a soft crash. Recovery time is a bit slow bringing it into the heated garage to make sure no moisture, or not much, made it beyond the canape. I also took some Arctic Cat thumb warmers and wrapped them around the transmitter sticks. They are powered by the battery charger plugged to my deck.

On a serious note I just read though this entire thread and you guy had some interesting times, for sure. Need some advice because I'm looking forward to my first 450 pro FBL build. I hope clone is enough for "..and Beyond". I have nothing left to do on my SuperV400. I decided to leave it operational vs. moving the electronics over like Nav did. So..

1) Tarot or ALZRC? You get what you pay for and I'm skeptical about HK. I'm looking to pay enough for a quality kit but just can go with Align at this point in time.

2) Transmitter upgrade and Receiver compatibility with BeastX. Sounds like kdean is happy with how the WK rx works Beast and I've read that the Devo 10 is the best bang for the buck. For an additional 5 bucks through walkerahelicoptersupply it comes with a 802rx. Can't beat that for $155. Think it will play nice with a BeastX? I began reading this thread thinking that 3GX was the way to go but Breast might be easier to set up and didn't read much about 3GX.

3) Devo transition because now I can fly my 5 other WK receivers thanks to Deviation. My skill level is a D under you guys so I'm hoping the models out there will be fine for me. Don't know If I want to understand programming individual channels first off. It's amazing how quick they came out with a release. The thread started out hacking display colors. Reading through the Deviation manual I understand that the models come with the radio. Are there links to additional ones? Thoughts from anyone who's tried it yet.

Well I'm off to the PO in a bit to pickup the V120D02S servo gears from HK because I need to sign for them. Only 11 days. No one in the states has them.
Check out the Allzrc 480 Devil. I have me eyes set on that. But can't afford it for some time now since i recently bought a Gaui X5. Anyway, my V450 is running a BeastX with a 2801-pro RX. It's been working fine so far. I don't expect any issues with the stand alone RX. You may want/need to use Fixed ID bind but otherwise it should be fine.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:33 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
As far as tarot vs alzrc, i've been using both to upgrade and repair my 450pro. The alzrc plastic parts are very weak and break easy. I've even recieved a fbl swash link that was broken in the box. Then i got a cf tail control rod from alzrc and i managed to break the plastic guide when trying to install it. It then got totally destroyed when the 2702 locked me out for the last time. I've replaced it with a tarot and i can feel the differenc in the plastic. Tarot is much stronger. I think is a different mix cause you can see the dull finish on the tarot parts and the alzrc has the shiny finish.

Alzrc screws are better that tarot. I had to slot a few screws to remove them from an old tarot frame i bought. I have not had any problems with the screws that came with the alzrc extended battery tray. They both use 1.5 hex.

With that said, a hk kit with certain tarot, alzrc, and align upgrades would work fine. For me at least.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:11 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
As far as tarot vs alzrc, i've been using both to upgrade and repair my 450pro. The alzrc plastic parts are very weak and break easy. I've even recieved a fbl swash link that was broken in the box. Then i got a cf tail control rod from alzrc and i managed to break the plastic guide when trying to install it. It then got totally destroyed when the 2702 locked me out for the last time. I've replaced it with a tarot and i can feel the differenc in the plastic. Tarot is much stronger. I think is a different mix cause you can see the dull finish on the tarot parts and the alzrc has the shiny finish.

Alzrc screws are better that tarot. I had to slot a few screws to remove them from an old tarot frame i bought. I have not had any problems with the screws that came with the alzrc extended battery tray. They both use 1.5 hex.

With that said, a hk kit with certain tarot, alzrc, and align upgrades would work fine. For me at least.
I just like the design of the Alzrc 480 devil. It's a 450 stretch. So it's swinging 360mm main blades and had a "cloned" look of the goblin. With a great diversity in colors and paint jobs available (though i expect the FRP to be rather brittle, but don't know yet) It's a 6S 450 so the power to mass ratio should be through the roof, and consistency of power in 3D for days. Though the added weight of the FRP canopy and tail boom might slow it down a tiny bit. I expect it to be a seriously fun heli just under the 500 size. When i get one, i might just order the frame and canopy parts i need. Then build the rest with Align parts.

The main thing i find about Align vs the "clones" is that upfront investment is much higher. But most of the parts cost close enough the same amount that if Align's parts are better. For the extra $5-10 difference on the repair parts. I think it's worth it. Of course assuming that Align has the better parts . In all honesty they may not always. I think i would prefer Tarot's tail blade hub and grips over Align's at the moment for a 450 size. I think i would prefer Align's DFC rotor head over the others. But this is something i'm still not sure about. So again. My story becomes "Just make sure you get good electronics", the rest can be mixed and matched and modified to work properly. Even Align doesn't have the best electronics on the market. So i think saving money on a airframe and putting together nice components is always the best thing. You can build a super "elite" 3D heli out of a "clone". This guy Rain4LA took my advice and of course other's as well, and he ran with it. What he is building is close to what i wanted to do. He went a little pricey on some of the components, but i seriously doubt if he will have any issues at all. Other then maybe wear and tear or his own thumbs. Because he's just starting out. Still crashing his Master CP even. Take a look, this is going to be a sweet build when he is done and it's a pretty heli too.

IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:43 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
Though i'm not a big fan of the 'goblin' look, I like the improvements they made on the frame. I have a hard time getting my 3s 2200mah under the 450pro canopy. They have to be set just right, and the leads must be in the right place, or the canopy holes wont get to the posts.

Those mks servos alone cost more than my whole 450pro when i first got it. I have been able, over two years, to add some better electronics including a mks ds95i for the tail. Turnigy now has a clone of the ds95 for around $20 each.

I had a long talk with myself a few nights ago about how much is too much when it comes to upgradeing. It all started when i was looking at servo specs to find something better to put on my 600. You could end up spending $800 on a set of top quality servos. I just dont have that kind expenditure for this 'hobby'. If or until i become a professional rc pilot, where i get paid to demo, and can win some prize money, and get indorsements for such products, i dont think they will ever make it into my cart at checkout time. So far most of my 'higher end' upgrades have come from the classifieds. Three of my helis, 450 500 and 600, now all have scorpion motors, cc ice esc's, and beastX fbl units. And these are not 'top of the line' as far as the market dictates. I could go broke trying to keep up with what the 'market' say is the best thing. Or i can get what i can afford and have fun flying the $#!+ out of it. I would have more fun with $800 worth in batteries that a set of servos... So i will dream of the high end electronics, while do the best with what i have. I would hate to 'dum thum' a set of $800 servos just as much as i would a $800 logo airframe.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:47 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,362 Posts
Wow, you have the same kind of light I do except mine is black. Have you had to replace the bulb yet?

I picked up a Align 250 pro (KX019010T) wo/electronics today for $170. It is exactly what I was looking for since I already have most of the electronics and these kits are selling for around $350.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:04 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,595 Posts
+ 1 on that 480 devil. I think its an awsome size. And for all the reasons you have listed. I have this Align 550 build coming up next here in a couple weeks. But after that i just may add that 480 to my hanger.
I'm not to keen on clones/ or the makers of. So fingers crossed align comes out with a 480 size on 6s here in the next few months.

**hint hint align **
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:57 AM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Thanks guys. I ordered the 480 Devil in green. It should be fun!
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:26 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
Happy new year guys...

Lets try not to crash this year, ok....
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:37 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
Here is my first gripe/rant for the year.

Why dont these companies get the size class of the heli on one accord??? Especially align and their clones. The 800 spins blades that are around 800mm long. The 700 spins blades that are around 700mm long. The 600 spins 600mm, and the 550 spins around 550mm. Then the whole system goes haywire.

A 500 spins 430mm blades.

A 450 spins 325mm blades.

A 400 spins 300mm blades.

Anyway, you see where i'm going with this. The trex 500 should really be called a 450. And the 450 should be a 350. The 400 should be a 300.

Why the mix up in nameing these heli sizes???
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:25 AM
United States, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Jan 2012
283 Posts
crashin

Quote:
Happy new year guys...

Lets try not to crash this year, ok....
well see in a minute,its 23 degrees and alot of soft snow to slow the impact.

KDEAN-this guy has has some 600 tt stuff,i told him iwould forward it to you.
http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?...18#post4578718
mmracecars is offline Find More Posts by mmracecars
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:58 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
Thanks mm.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:59 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
I was able to sleep all day yesterday, and was up all night. Today being my last day off from school, i decided to play with my 600. I changed the main shaft and checked all the bearings. I found that the head itself has a little side to side play on the shaft. This may be the cause of my wobble, but i would think that once the head got up to speed, it would center the play. Anyway, i charged up my packs, and i'll take it up today between my gigs. I have a 12-3 lunch gig, and a 8-10 bar gig tonight. That gives me a few hours inbetween to get to the field. I'm also gunna try two of my old 2650mah packs in paralell to see how they perform in the 600. I should be able to get a good 3 min warm-up flight with them, i hope...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:59 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I just like the design of the Alzrc 480 devil. It's a 450 stretch. So it's swinging 360mm main blades and had a "cloned" look of the goblin. With a great diversity in colors and paint jobs available (though i expect the FRP to be rather brittle, but don't know yet) It's a 6S 450 so the power to mass ratio should be through the roof, and consistency of power in 3D for days. Though the added weight of the FRP canopy and tail boom might slow it down a tiny bit. I expect it to be a seriously fun heli just under the 500 size. When i get one, i might just order the frame and canopy parts i need. Then build the rest with Align parts.

The main thing i find about Align vs the "clones" is that upfront investment is much higher. But most of the parts cost close enough the same amount that if Align's parts are better. For the extra $5-10 difference on the repair parts. I think it's worth it. Of course assuming that Align has the better parts . In all honesty they may not always. I think i would prefer Tarot's tail blade hub and grips over Align's at the moment for a 450 size. I think i would prefer Align's DFC rotor head over the others. But this is something i'm still not sure about. So again. My story becomes "Just make sure you get good electronics", the rest can be mixed and matched and modified to work properly. Even Align doesn't have the best electronics on the market. So i think saving money on a airframe and putting together nice components is always the best thing. You can build a super "elite" 3D heli out of a "clone". This guy Rain4LA took my advice and of course other's as well, and he ran with it. What he is building is close to what i wanted to do. He went a little pricey on some of the components, but i seriously doubt if he will have any issues at all. Other then maybe wear and tear or his own thumbs. Because he's just starting out. Still crashing his Master CP even. Take a look, this is going to be a sweet build when he is done and it's a pretty heli too.

Happy New Year guys
I've now built both Align and Tarot heli kits. I like the Tarot DFC heads betrter than Align. just seems more beefy. The Tarot 450 tail assy. w/thrust bearing is better than align. When looking at the instructions of both, it looks like they're from the same company. From what I've seen, the tarot gear and head parts are about the same. Just the price. Aligh 450DFC main shafts, $8 for 2. Tarot DFC main shafts $1.27 for 2. Same with gears. Two slat cut Tarot main gears,$1.90

I've also been looking at the 480 devil. looks like a fun kit. But why are they going with 6s? They should cut the crap and go right to 12s. I'm still flying my Tarot 480 stretch 480 w/345mm blades. ALZRC has the 360mm blades that I might give a try. Now they have "A" blades that are $25 and "B" blades that are $20, don't know the difference.
Hey copper jack, I just put together a Align 250. I crashed it while trying to set it up because tail gain was too high. This was the 5th ZYX gyro I've built and the 250 will need more tweaking than the others.
So, I thinking about trying a beastx. Is there only one model of Beastx? Eflite has the AR7200(I think thats the model) receiver with Beastx technology built in so might be an idea if you don't want to put in separate gyro and receiver.
Has anybody here used both ZYX and Beastx? I know Beastx is a little better, just how much.
I'm having a hard time justifying a $200 gyro for a $250 heli
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:06 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,776 Posts
Quote:
I was able to sleep all day yesterday, and was up all night. Today being my last day off from school, i decided to play with my 600. I changed the main shaft and checked all the bearings. I found that the head itself has a little side to side play on the shaft. This may be the cause of my wobble, but i would think that once the head got up to speed, it would center the play. Anyway, i charged up my packs, and i'll take it up today between my gigs. I have a 12-3 lunch gig, and a 8-10 bar gig tonight. That gives me a few hours inbetween to get to the field. I'm also gunna try two of my old 2650mah packs in paralell to see how they perform in the 600. I should be able to get a good 3 min warm-up flight with them, i hope...
Good luck with those batteries. I'm still using 3 in the plane for 15min flight time, and helps balance the Tarot 480 with that longer boom. 2 went bad after a year and a half.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:44 AM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
mm- How did you make out? I got a pack and a half in but the wind started picking up pretty good and stopped. I did get a chance to stuff really good! All I saw was a blade sticking out. The V400 took right off again even with a snow packed Turnigy 2300 BL on the tail. While the skids sit up nicely because the sun has gotton to the snow the tail has a tendency to sink. One upgrade to my SuperV that kdean hasn't thought of: A tail ski Next upgrade.

How much current draw can I expect is needed for the MicroBreast, Servo's and rx802 (or 601)?
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro