HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
main gear

kdean,igot this main gear and pinion in a bunch of parts.its a grey slant 188t and a 12t 5mm pinion.is itb of any use to you guys,im not going to use it.
mike
mmracecars is offline Find More Posts by mmracecars
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:16 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,716 Posts
Hey mm, i dont really have a need for those gears, i'm going mod 1. Did you ever get that tt setup that you did not want? Im still trying to get my tail converted.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
i sold everything and got a 12s 600e (belt),and a 550e(tt)
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
im kinda lost with the mod thing.the 550 had a smaller auto gear and larger gear to drive the tail,i changed it so both use all the same gears now.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:37 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,716 Posts
The mod reffers to the teeth size or cut of the gears. Simply bigger individual teeth giving more 'meat' to grasp on to.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
that kinda what i thought,so i went backwards
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:49 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,716 Posts
I was to lazy to go to the field yesterday and the cold front that is sweeping across the states rolled in over night. Bringing with it 10-20mph winds. So today was no fun, at least not for 3D practice.

I took the 450pro, 500cmt, and 600 with 9 flights worth of packs. The 450pro tail has the slop in it again and the tail kicks out on hard pitch pumps. The beastX feels very stable in the wind, makeing the 450 feel more like a 500 when flying around. I give up on this tail slider and will try installing the old plastic exi stock slider. After two flights with the 450 and its loose tail, i put it away to fly the 500cmt.

The wind made these old batteries work extra hard, and there lack of power when i need it, made me nervous. Did some scale flying circuts and some loops, but thats not what i wanted to do. So after two flights i put that on the side to fly the 600.

The 600 still has a bad wobble. I think its the main shaft, or maybe the bearings. I'll have to take it apart to figure it out but i'm waiting for the 12s stuff and the beastX to get here so i can do all that conversion work at the same time. Knowing i have to take it apart made me fly it a little harder than i would normally. I almost lost it a couple times when the wind would catch it and throw it further and faster than i expected. I did manage to get some good aileron tic tocs in. I almost looked like a pro. The 600 was most comfortable in the wind, even though i was not, and the two flights i had with it made my day.

So even though all my helis are flying, which had been a wish of mine for a long time, they all need some tweeking, replacements, batteries, and other mods. The spending is never ending in this hobby. But now i'm getting closer to my upgrade goals, and soon i'll only need to replace my packs after a year or two of use.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
cold front,i was standing in a foot and a half of snow flying.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:40 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,334 Posts
Yeah, I'd gladly stand in snow and fly.... As long as there was no wind and i had a RC mitt. Which i don't own, because i live in Florida. Today was 20+ mph winds and the wind chill that comes with it reduced temps another 10 or so. While this is not freezing.... Man, we are on the Atlantic coast over here. It's even warmer where Kdean is. Today it was 50 and blowing 15-20 mph constant. That is probably still only 35-40 after the wind chill. But it's enough to make my hands go numb within 2 minutes. I don't know about where Kdean lives. But the "cold front" brought nothing but thick gray, cloud covered skies too. Worthless day to fly for me today too. I ended up going home.

It's worth mentioning that if you can't keep your batteries above 50 (F) they won't function properly and the colder they are the less discharge (C rating) they will be capable of. So you might end up loosing power and bogging out or what have you. Though typically if you can keep them warm till you use them, the motor will keep them warm enough to run. But having a cold pack to start with you might expect no power at the beginning of the flight, then as the pack warms you might notice a increase in head speed. It's probably no good for the batteries to be stressed like this in the cold either. I'm not sure about that.

Like Kdean's fleet, and for the same reasons as kdean (2702V mishaps) I am converting my whole fleet over to BeastX. My V450D01 is now stabilized with BeastX! So it's now the V450BX. I am running a 2801-pro RX on it for, we'll say experimental reasons pertaining to the 2702V mishaps. So far, while not using fixed ID, I have not had any "glitch" or "lock out" with the 2801-pro so i went ahead and turned on fixed id today. I didn't really get to fly much today. Just a pack or two before i gave up. The V450BX was taking the 20+ mph gusts of wind rather well. Much better than the 2702V did. It really does stabilize the heli very well in high winds. Though i have some vibrations coming from slightly unbalanced blades. It still few great with a tiny "wobble" from the gyro and unbalanced blades. But because my hands got numb so fast i didn't even get to bust out my X5 today. I didn't want to risk that over a crappy day and me being uncomfortable. Just FYI, if anyone cares. I just went past 100 flights @ 6-7 minutes per flight on my X5 (spektrum RX). The only maintenance i have done is oil the bearings. No issues yet. It's about time to break down some of the parts and check for wear though. Like the rotor head, since i don't grease my thrust bearings. At least i didn't when i received the heli. The rotor came assembled and i just used it "as is" since then. So far so good.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
yea it was cold with alot of wind.i dont have a tx mitt either,im just learning,i have a 550 and a 600e-12s.both have iKON fbl units.iwas really suprised how well they both handled the wind.im trying to get half a dozen flights a day,cause im starting to get the hang of it and the sim is just not as good as the real thing.i live on a couple acres so the batterys stay in the heated garage,and are warm when there used.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:08 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmracecars View Post
yea it was cold with alot of wind.i dont have a tx mitt either,im just learning,i have a 550 and a 600e-12s.both have iKON fbl units.iwas really suprised how well they both handled the wind.im trying to get half a dozen flights a day,cause im starting to get the hang of it and the sim is just not as good as the real thing.i live on a couple acres so the batterys stay in the heated garage,and are warm when there used.
I hear those IKON gyros are pretty nice. At one point i thought all 3 axis gyros were basically the same. But now i know they are not. However, i start to wonder if all the high price gyros are partially being marked up due to brand name or market hype. I have a hard time believing that a iKON, Vbar, BeastX, Skookum or any other $200+ gyro is very far apart. Though i'm sure some are better than others, and some might have personal behavior preferences some like more than others. I don't suppose you have any experience with another gyro to give any input do you?
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:14 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
well ive had a beastx ,tarot zyx-s and both these ikons.at my skill level i cant tell the diff between them.maybe a better flyer might,i pretty much think alot of its the name and marketing.kinda like putting a cadillac badge on a yukon and calling it a escalade,its no better,just costs more.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:41 AM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmracecars View Post
cold front,i was standing in a foot and a half of snow flying.
Me too. It makes for a soft crash. Recovery time is a bit slow bringing it into the heated garage to make sure no moisture, or not much, made it beyond the canape. I also took some Arctic Cat thumb warmers and wrapped them around the transmitter sticks. They are powered by the battery charger plugged to my deck.

On a serious note I just read though this entire thread and you guy had some interesting times, for sure. Need some advice because I'm looking forward to my first 450 pro FBL build. I hope clone is enough for "..and Beyond". I have nothing left to do on my SuperV400. I decided to leave it operational vs. moving the electronics over like Nav did. So..

1) Tarot or ALZRC? You get what you pay for and I'm skeptical about HK. I'm looking to pay enough for a quality kit but just can go with Align at this point in time.

2) Transmitter upgrade and Receiver compatibility with BeastX. Sounds like kdean is happy with how the WK rx works Beast and I've read that the Devo 10 is the best bang for the buck. For an additional 5 bucks through walkerahelicoptersupply it comes with a 802rx. Can't beat that for $155. Think it will play nice with a BeastX? I began reading this thread thinking that 3GX was the way to go but Breast might be easier to set up and didn't read much about 3GX.

3) Devo transition because now I can fly my 5 other WK receivers thanks to Deviation. My skill level is a D under you guys so I'm hoping the models out there will be fine for me. Don't know If I want to understand programming individual channels first off. It's amazing how quick they came out with a release. The thread started out hacking display colors. Reading through the Deviation manual I understand that the models come with the radio. Are there links to additional ones? Thoughts from anyone who's tried it yet.

Well I'm off to the PO in a bit to pickup the V120D02S servo gears from HK because I need to sign for them. Only 11 days. No one in the states has them.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:28 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
3) Devo transition because now I can fly my 5 other WK receivers thanks to Deviation. My skill level is a D under you guys so I'm hoping the models out there will be fine for me. Don't know If I want to understand programming individual channels first off. It's amazing how quick they came out with a release. The thread started out hacking display colors. Reading through the Deviation manual I understand that the models come with the radio. Are there links to additional ones? Thoughts from anyone who's tried it yet.
No models come preconfigured with Deviation, but configuring a modern FBL system is a 5 minute job. You just have to know channel order for your protocol (Deviation can reorder them based on the protocol) and confirm the setting.

Then, you just need to configure curves and switches. No mixing on the TX, the FBL system does it internally.

Anyway, lots of model ini files can be found on Deviation's forum, and we are a helpful bunch

PS: I have the Devo10 and I love it, I'm not missing the color screen.
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
helis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
Me too. It makes for a soft crash. Recovery time is a bit slow bringing it into the heated garage to make sure no moisture, or not much, made it beyond the canape. I also took some Arctic Cat thumb warmers and wrapped them around the transmitter sticks. They are powered by the battery charger plugged to my deck.

On a serious note I just read though this entire thread and you guy had some interesting times, for sure. Need some advice because I'm looking forward to my first 450 pro FBL build. I hope clone is enough for "..and Beyond". I have nothing left to do on my SuperV400. I decided to leave it operational vs. moving the electronics over like Nav did. So..

1) Tarot or ALZRC? You get what you pay for and I'm skeptical about HK. I'm looking to pay enough for a quality kit but just can go with Align at this point in time.

2) Transmitter upgrade and Receiver compatibility with BeastX. Sounds like kdean is happy with how the WK rx works Beast and I've read that the Devo 10 is the best bang for the buck. For an additional 5 bucks through walkerahelicoptersupply it comes with a 802rx. Can't beat that for $155. Think it will play nice with a BeastX? I began reading this thread thinking that 3GX was the way to go but Breast might be easier to set up and didn't read much about 3GX.

Well I'm off to the PO in a bit to pickup the V120D02S servo gears from HK because I need to sign for them. Only 11 days. No one in the states has them.
im pretty happy with the tarot zyx-s fbl unit,for what i do it works just as good as the iKON units i have.the hk stuff ive had is pretty decent for the price,as long as you throw out the main gears and mainshafts to start with. why start out with a expensive align one when your gonna crash it before it wears out anyway.