HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:22 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I had a Devo 8S for a few days but then decided to exchange it. The screen was just completely unreadable in sunlight and the font too small. I was offered the chance to exchange it for the Devo 10 or Devo 12S and I choose the 12S. The reason was that the touch screen interface was so simple and intuitive.

I think the Devo 8S is ahead of its time. But it is just not possible at the moment to have a color screen that is bright, cheap and does not use much power at the same time.
I am primarily only interested in a Devo transmitter if I can implement the Deviation firmware. If I understand correctly, that limits me to a 8s or 10. I like the vibrating timer of the 10. However, the 10 appears in youtube to be more difficult to program but I am sure I could get used to that. The color display would be nice and appears to be extremely easy to program but I don't like the idea of small font not readable outside. I would be satisfied to be able to read the 8s diaplay outside in shade. I don't really expect to be in direct sun that much. Decisions, decisions...
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
frustrating

So I picked up a Master CP a month ago, and yes a DEVO 7...I've gone through 2 servos with no support from Walkera. Today my main motor stopped but my tail motor is working. Tried a different battery, same. Tried a new motor...nope. Tried a new ESC...still nothing. Tried the DEVO 7 on another Walkera heli...works fine. Well, would it be safe to say that the receiver/gyro is bad?
Just have to say Walkera products are lame, but their support is even worse. I enjoy the Master CP alot but it breaks my heart and pocket...
fzrpaul is offline Find More Posts by fzrpaul
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:43 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzrpaul View Post
So I picked up a Master CP a month ago, and yes a DEVO 7...I've gone through 2 servos with no support from Walkera. Today my main motor stopped but my tail motor is working. Tried a different battery, same. Tried a new motor...nope. Tried a new ESC...still nothing. Tried the DEVO 7 on another Walkera heli...works fine. Well, would it be safe to say that the receiver/gyro is bad?
Just have to say Walkera products are lame, but their support is even worse. I enjoy the Master CP alot but it breaks my heart and pocket...
It does look like your receiver but I would double check with a new ESC again. I would contact your vendor first and see whether he is willing to send your receiver back to Walkera for repair. Walkera does offer a free receiver repair service but it has to go through your vendor. The problem is that many overseas vendors are unwilling to send things back to China.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Nov 30, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:47 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
I am primarily only interested in a Devo transmitter if I can implement the Deviation firmware. If I understand correctly, that limits me to a 8s or 10. I like the vibrating timer of the 10. However, the 10 appears in youtube to be more difficult to program but I am sure I could get used to that. The color display would be nice and appears to be extremely easy to program but I don't like the idea of small font not readable outside. I would be satisfied to be able to read the 8s diaplay outside in shade. I don't really expect to be in direct sun that much. Decisions, decisions...
We never get any direct sunlight in Hong Kong because of smog. The display is unreadable even in moderate daylight. You can only read it under a good shade.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:17 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
The Devo 10 was my first real programable TX and it aint that hard to program, I aint used all the functions on it yet, but those that count are easily accessible, but from what I've read the Devo 8 is easier to use.

Apparently (and I can't vouch for this as never run my batteries that low) its hard to hear the audible alert (not very loud), I've tested it but not whilst flying (in the 'zone' lol), I'm sure they're both the same on both TX's, I've tested the vibrating alert and you can feel it whilst your flying, suppose it depends how how hard you push your batteries and how attentive you are to time, if you really need a reminder before you kill your batteries the 10 might be best, if you can judge when your bird needs to land by feel/flying, maybe you don't need the vibrating alert.

If your just learning basics, and you want a very easy to read/program (in the shade) & very capable TX, and can do without the vibrating alert, you might want to look more at the Devo 8, I aint got one, but from feedback on here they are good.

Food for thought!
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Last edited by RotaryC; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:33 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Deviation works the same on both, so they are equally hard or easy to program. Or at least from here comes the difficulty in programming a TX.

Touching screen or navigatin using keys does not make it harder or easier, just less or more convenient.

Before deciding go get the emulator and give the manual a good read. You should be familiar with the concepts like channels, protocols, curves and dual-rates and expo, because Deviation has no notion or pitch or throttle curves as well defined entities, and you must know which channel does what.

But, good news is the are already lots of predefined models you can just download and use, and when you're stuck you can ask for help in the forums.
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:27 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,653 Posts
The new hk500tt is almost done. I just the vibe test with the tail blades on, and now its time to strap the mains on. I still have some wires to hide and tie but she is ready for flight.

Overall the new tt kit from hk looks to be a good deal for a 500 fbl airframe. Everything looks and feels solid so far. We'll see how it handles a few flights and maybe a crash before i pass my final judgement.

I'll be refering to this heli as the 500BX, and the other has returned to its 500CMT state. It still flies great with only a couple 'align' upgrades. They are two great kits from hk that i think make good first or maybe second helis for beginners.

I would post some pics but my phones memory is full and it keeps shutting down when i try to load them.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:15 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Nice one kdean, I've been eyeing up the 500's, but keep telling myself I should build my 450 first lol we always like looking at build pics mate, post away!
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:18 PM
rubber heli skills
United States, OR, Seaside
Joined Nov 2009
272 Posts
I am going to build the first ( I think ) Walkera swamp boat out of an old tunnel hull. Pictures when the stuff comes in the mail.
mdeutschman is offline Find More Posts by mdeutschman
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:06 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeutschman View Post
I am going to build the first ( I think ) Walkera swamp boat out of an old tunnel hull. Pictures when the stuff comes in the mail.
Walkera swamp boat...
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:20 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,653 Posts
Well i took the 450pro bx to the feild for its first test flights, but had some problems on take off. It wanted to tip over right away. I quit while i was ahead and packed it up for inspection at hime. After getting it on the bench i noticed that the tail was viberating so much it was causing the bx to tilt the swash. I had a similar problem with the 500cmt back in the day where it would vibe with the tail blades on, but no vibe with the blades off. During testing i managed to break a tail blade, cutting my thumb that was holding the boom, and breaking the nice vertical fin that martin sent me. (martin, please tell me where you got those from, i want another one). I did some searching and found that the problem is most likely the tail case bearings. Like with the 500 i managed to get it smooth enough by using cf tail blades, but i know that the issue is not solved until i change the bearings, and dont really want to fly it like this. But no money in the heli budget until after xmas will lead me to flying it anyway.

I've got some walkera rx's that i need to put to use. I want to do a plane, but hey a car or boat might be less risky and more fun...
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:20 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
Walkera swamp boat...
What exactly is a "Swamp boat"?

Anyway, I toyed with a design for a hover craft once. The main problem was finding a material that won't wear down in 5 mintues when hovering the bag over concrete. The idea came from a Tyco RC hover craft i had when i was a kid. It was really cool and could hover over smooth surfaces or water and even could transition between them, from water to hard concrete for instance. As long as there was a smooth transition as well. No bumps or anything or the thing would get hung up. It was still cool as hell. I haven't seen anything like this since lipo tech has been available in quantity. I'm sure someone makes them. But i wouldn't doubt if a good one is way more expensive than i would ever pay.

I just looked. At some point in the mid 2000's, i guess. Tyco released the version 2 of the original Typhoon that i had as a kid. The original was all red and looked a little nicer. But i bet this one performs WAY better.

I'm so looking to buy one now. Mod it out for some serious lipo and brushless motors if i can. Actually i might just build my own after all, or not.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 07, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:08 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,653 Posts
I remember those. I got the tyco super turbo hopper 4wd when i was 11. Then upgraded to a tamia super saber 4wd, which i build all by myself. Then i got a kyosho optima, also 4wd. They were fun even in the snow. I was living in canada at the time. I sold my rc car for hockey equiptment, goalie pads were more expensive than i thought. That ended my early rc fun. 20 bdd years later i'm back at, but now into flying.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:03 PM
rubber heli skills
United States, OR, Seaside
Joined Nov 2009
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
What exactly is a "Swamp boat"?

Anyway, I toyed with a design for a hover craft once. The main problem was finding a material that won't wear down in 5 mintues when hovering the bag over concrete. The idea came from a Tyco RC hover craft i had when i was a kid. It was really cool and could hover over smooth surfaces or water and even could transition between them, from water to hard concrete for instance. As long as there was a smooth transition as well. No bumps or anything or the thing would get hung up. It was still cool as hell. I haven't seen anything like this since lipo tech has been available in quantity. I'm sure someone makes them. But i wouldn't doubt if a good one is way more expensive than i would ever pay.

I just looked. At some point in the mid 2000's, i guess. Tyco released the version 2 of the original Typhoon that i had as a kid. The original was all red and looked a little nicer. But i bet this one performs WAY better.

I'm so looking to buy one now. Mod it out for some serious lipo and brushless motors if i can. Actually i might just build my own after all, or not.
Except mine will be an old tunnel hull and bigger with more power.
HobbyKing Swamp Dawg RC Airboat (fullHD) (2 min 11 sec)
mdeutschman is offline Find More Posts by mdeutschman
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:16 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I remember those. I got the tyco super turbo hopper 4wd when i was 11. Then upgraded to a tamia super saber 4wd, which i build all by myself. Then i got a kyosho optima, also 4wd. They were fun even in the snow. I was living in canada at the time. I sold my rc car for hockey equiptment, goalie pads were more expensive than i thought. That ended my early rc fun. 20 bdd years later i'm back at, but now into flying.
HELL YEAH, i had the turbo hopper. That thing was bad ass! I also had the Bandit which was a pickup truck with roll bars. I think i ended up liking that even more. Those were some really cool RC toys when i was a kid. I think i heard that Tyco is no longer in business though. It was a Mattel brand i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeutschman View Post
Except mine will be an old tunnel hull and bigger with more power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBD3n_TbL-0
OH, it's an airboat! lol. I've actually driven the real deal. I live in Florida after all I don't know why i didn't connect this together, lol. Hell i have swaps all around my house. People go ripping through there every now and then. duh. lol. That should be a pretty cool RC project. For RC i think i would have to investigate installing a ducted fan instead. That kid was sucking water in the rotor sides from time to time. I suppose being bigger would help with that anyway. His seems too narrow or something and tipsy. I suppose hover craft are the same way. Wind effects it too. The problem with hover craft is they kick up rocks and pebbles so you have to protect the fans and everything. Water probably will just rust a few things and clean out the electric motor.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk