HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:25 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
I've been following you guys on this thread and I know what's going on....ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT....DON'T REACT OR RESPONSE TO PEOPLE WHO TALKS BULLSH***T. I know it's hard not to but , responding to them is just a waste of time....IF THEY DON'T LIKE THIS THREAD THEN TOO BAD.
+1
I've been following here and elsewhere and agree. I suppose if a person enjoys the banter that would be one thing. I have noticed several who seem to be extremely knowledgable and I enjoy trying to learn a little every chance I get. Thanks all!
ChopperJack is online now Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:37 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,675 Posts
This is a general update on whats going on in my world of helis right now. I'll just cross post this to the other threads later.

I'll start with the 600 which is now waiting for a main shaft and feathering shaft replacement. I have all the parts but have been to busy to get started on this. I still want to put the scorpion motor in it, but that would requier a total strip down of the frame for modding.

I have been doing the swap from fbl back to fb with the 500. Its ready for blades on tracking and flight tests. I think it might get sold before i even pick up the new 500 frame. I'll miss it, but its better if i focus my attention to one at a time. Not to mention my money.

The 450 pro is pretty much ready to go. I just need to install the 2801 i removed from the 500, then set up the beastX and get it in the air. I'm not feeling to inspired on this project right now. It seems my attention is being drawn more to the bigger helis.

And that brings me to the superV400. After the crash and now with the extended boom, i've found it would grt twichy in flight and porpus up and down in fff. Today i found the reason for this. The hitec 5055 elevator servo has developed the mid stick centering twitch. This has happend to most of my 5055s in the past few years. It did provide 101 flights and survive 1 crash. It was the servo that broke an arm in the crash as well, so maybe its not a time/usage related problem like i once thought. I'm gunna start looking for and alternative that will last longer with no problems. I might even go back to the tgy mg90s that worked great and survived many hits.

Anyway, thats my story and i'm sticking to it. Have a good week fellas.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:12 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,675 Posts
I spent some time working on the 600 tonight. It had a bad wobble and started loosing the tracking of the main blades. I thought it may be the feathering and main shafts, but that is no longer looking like the problem. I did find that one of the feathering shaft bolts was a bit loose in the blade grip. That could be the cause, throwing the balance of causing the wobble and allowing the grip to shift out of track. Its a good thing it did not back all the way out, throwing the blades. I've had it happen to my 450pro and would hate to see it with a 600.

Anyway, while the 600 was on the bench, i finally installed the scorpion motor. I had the cut some frame, and trim the motor shaft down, but it was easy to do. I also put a lower 700 f3c skid on the front, raising the tail a bit. Makes the heli look faster on the ground at least. I'll post some pics after a test flight or two.

I still have the gear mesh and some lock tighting to do.

The 500 has been converted back to belt and fb head. I flew it for lunch yesterday and after a pack of blade tracking, tail gyro setting, and swash mixing, it was getting inverted and lovin it. The cyclic feel is very slow for my taste but it would make a great sport flier. With some bigger paddles, and servos that allow greater travel will give it a better chance at stick banging 3D. I'll try not to fly it as much because someone wants to buy it, but its hard not too.

I was gunna work on the 450 tonight, but there is a cold front moveing through and the days will be windy for a while. Thats why i worked on the 600 instead...

Have a good one.....
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:53 AM
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Sep 2012
6 Posts
radios

Hey guys, I have a 180z that I have a love hate thing with. Part of the problem is I bought it in a RTF and the radio is not so good. I am used to my DX6I that I fly my Blade ships with. Is there a transmitter that I can get comparable to the DX6I that I can bind to my 180Z as well as others If I wanted to explore more of the walkera line? (mostly because they are cheap and I can get 2 for 1 on cyber Monday!)
firephog is offline Find More Posts by firephog
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:06 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,675 Posts
I've got a 2801pro tx, that has never let me down. Its compatible with all of walkeras older heli (pre devo). You might want to look into a devo type tx only because the old 2801 stuff is looking to be discontinued and all the new walkera helis are 'devo' anyway. There should be a devo version of the 180z rx available at wowhobbies.

The devo 10 is nice for cheap, but if you want to spend a bit more take a look at the devo 8s, or even a 12s if you want to realy treat yourself.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:21 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firephog View Post
Hey guys, I have a 180z that I have a love hate thing with. Part of the problem is I bought it in a RTF and the radio is not so good. I am used to my DX6I that I fly my Blade ships with. Is there a transmitter that I can get comparable to the DX6I that I can bind to my 180Z as well as others If I wanted to explore more of the walkera line? (mostly because they are cheap and I can get 2 for 1 on cyber Monday!)
Devo 6S, 8S and 10 are of great value because of the Deviation firmware. This custom firmware allow the Devo to control multiple protocols, like:

Devo
WK2801
WK260X
WK240X
Nine Eagles J6
DSM2
FlySky (with a small hardware modification)

Check out the official website:
http://www.deviationtx.com
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:23 AM
Joined Sep 2012
6 Posts
Ok perfect. And what model do you suggest to transition to CP?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:26 AM
Joined Sep 2012
6 Posts
So the Devo6, 8 etc. with the deviation firmware would allow me to also fly my eflite ships as well? what would I do with my DX6I? lol
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:30 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firephog View Post
So the Devo6, 8 etc. with the deviation firmware would allow me to also fly my eflite ships as well? what would I do with my DX6I? lol
Sell it?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:36 AM
Joined Sep 2012
6 Posts
A back up maybe. Wish I would have known five months ago would have saved me $200. I guess I should have asked! lol
Thanks for the advice. Adding a DEVo to the Xmas list, and eagerly awaiting next cyber monday!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:42 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,422 Posts
Is Devo 8s the best of the bunch? If not, which one and why if you don't mind commenting and thank you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:53 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
Is Devo 8s the best of the bunch? If not, which one and why if you don't mind commenting and thank you.
Not necessarily the best, but it has a good balance between performance and cost.

1. Up to 12 channels (trim switches can be mapped too)
2. Color display

Devo 10 (which I own) is good too, only downside is you lose the color screen.

Both seem to have the same MCU and RAM/Flash (I might be wrong though).

Devo 7E is a bit lower in spec, and so far no steps were taken towards implementing Deviation on it, because Walkera didn't release an official firmware update.

Devo 12 is very interesting, but being pricey it has a smaller audience than the former and likewise no steps have been made towards bringing Deviation to it.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:30 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
I was struggling to decide between the 8 and 10, I eventually went for the 10, mainly because it has a vibrating timer alert which the 8 doesn't and figured I could live without the touchscreen, also I think (could be very wrong on this) but I think I read somewhere that the Devo 10 handles Lipos better, sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

But they are both good from what I've read and the touch/colour screen on the Devo 8 and 12 look really good, I really like the Devo 10 though, no complaints so far.
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Last edited by RotaryC; Nov 30, 2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:37 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,422 Posts
WOW, I'm getting advice from all over the world! That's great!

Sounds like maybe Devo 10 might be best. I don't have a color screen on my 2801 or dX6i so won't miss that. I guess I'm going to have to dig a little deeper and do a feature comparison between the 8s and 10. I am primarily interested in the "Deviation" firmware. I want to load all my Spectrum and Walkera receivers on this one box. I also want to do a back up sim card. I have no way short of pen and paper to do a back up now which bothers me. Maybe some vendor will offer 70 percent off and I'll have to buy one.

Thanks everyone for advice!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:43 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,172 Posts
Quote:
WOW, I'm getting advice from all over the world! That's great!

Sounds like maybe Devo 10 might be best. I don't have a color screen on my 2801 or dX6i so won't miss that. I guess I'm going to have to dig a little deeper and do a feature comparison between the 8s and 10. I am primarily interested in the "Deviation" firmware. I want to load all my Spectrum and Walkera receivers on this one box. I also want to do a back up sim card. I have no way short of pen and paper to do a back up now which bothers me. Maybe some vendor will offer 70 percent off and I'll have to buy one.

Thanks everyone for advice!
I had a Devo 8S for a few days but then decided to exchange it. The screen was just completely unreadable in sunlight and the font too small. I was offered the chance to exchange it for the Devo 10 or Devo 12S and I choose the 12S. The reason was that the touch screen interface was so simple and intuitive.

I think the Devo 8S is ahead of its time. But it is just not possible at the moment to have a color screen that is bright, cheap and does not use much power at the same time.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw