powerstroke01 is offline Find More Posts by powerstroke01
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:55 PM
USA, CA, Ahwahnee
Joined Sep 2004
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
There is next no documentation on what servo horns to use or how to install them? They kind of just hope you know how to install servos? Did you guys just use the rubber boots on the servo mounting screws, or did you use the brass bushings inside too? Seems pointless? I don't know, but i suppose i am to assume that the round servo horn is to be used for the tail, because it was already mounted on the servo. All the other servo horns are T shaped weird things. At first glance, i don't like these servos. The Servo horns appear to be very hard and not likely to break in a crash at all. I'd bet servo gears are stripped every time in a crash? I suppose changing out gears is the normal? I hope gear sets and horns are available somewhere? But, i'm not a fan of the pit/aile mounting either. It's very hard to remove or mount the servo with the motor in the way. I mean they could at least tell me the recommended ball distance on the horns. This part is getting very frustrating.
Its unlikely that youll have issues with the gears stripping..
powerstroke01 is offline Find More Posts by powerstroke01
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:06 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,938 Posts
I figured i might have to cut my horns or something. I'm no stranger to servo installation. But really. There is no documentation on proper setup for swash travel. Ball linkage length, nothing. I figured there would at least me some specs to follow. This is the only page i found on servo horn, linkage, or servo alignment. It says the horns should be VERTICAL?!?!? WTH, okay so gaui is better than Walkera, but i'm seeing a reoccurring theme here with lack of focus on the manuals. At least there is info in Gaui's book though.

Something tells me, since the photo shows them at the typical 90 horn placement. This is another typo. I'm getting impatient i suppose. But yes, even some photos of the X5 with these servos installed would be helpful. At least ones that are not 1 inch x 1 inch big.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:43 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
This thread is GREAT.. and WILL GROW. Look at the hits already!
Servo Q-The servo horns or gears don't break in a crash, and I've had 2 NASTY crashes. I will provide the part # for the Hyperion servo gears though (Gaui 501 swash and 502 tail).
ESC connection- I use Traxxas connectors capable of 100A, only because I'm not a Deans fan.. I will post images later today, as it's 2:39am here in the UK and my ship is in the bedroom.
Servo ball distance; I and most use 11mm from servo output gear to ball on tail, middle hole. This allows good mechanical gain and gyro gain (resolution).

I will post loads of images tomorrow Integrity, as I can see you want to join the grin club.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:55 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
This thread is GREAT.. and WILL GROW. Look at the hits already!
Servo Q-The servo horns or gears don't break in a crash, and I've had 2 NASTY crashes. I will provide the part # for the Hyperion servo gears though (Gaui 501 swash and 502 tail).
ESC connection- I use Traxxas connectors capable of 100A, only because I'm not a Deans fan.. I will post images later today, as it's 2:39am here in the UK and my ship is in the bedroom.
Servo ball distance; I and most use 11mm from servo output gear to ball on tail, middle hole. This allows good mechanical gain and gyro gain (resolution).

I will post loads of images tomorrow Integrity, as I can see you want to join the grin club.
Thank you, So i'll adjust for 11mm on the tail servos. I'm guessing there really is only one obvious placement for the balls on the cyclic horns, but i want to be sure. It's been weeks since i flew anything besides a v120. I'm hurt unit over here. So I'm just a little over anxious. Since i don't know how to program or set up the uBeast yet, and i have to learn how to setup the DX8 too. I'm at a disadvantage and probably well ahead of myself for setting up the servo horns. But i figured i should start asking now.

As for the battery plug. I have been using XT60 on my 450s and 200. Does anyone see any reason that i XT60 should not be used? It's rated for 60A, just like Deans. Which is what a lot of people tend to like. I do have deans too. But no charge plugs. I wouldn't mind using Traxxas connectors. I think i even have 1 set of them. But i have no charge plug for it. I suppose i could use the alligator clips to charge them or something. I suppose the female side always goes on the battery, like deans? The XT60s are nice. But it might be smart to go with a 100A rated plug. I just don't have the resources at the moment. As it is i'll probably be broke and skipping lunches for a while I'll bet that new hobby shop i bought the TX at has some traxxass connectors. But knowing that brand and how big/good those connectors are it's probably $10 a set. I'm kind of stuck for the moment i suppose.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Deleted due to board violations
Last edited by V999D02; Oct 28, 2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:08 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
Off over to HF....The X5 EP sub-forum.
The blokes on there helped me no end, so let's see if they can migrate their knowledge here.
@-}--
I understand that there is loads of info and people who know whats up over there. But there seems to be more, shall we say, lesser experienced people here. My goal is exactly that. Migrate some of that info here so those already accustomed, and only currently using this board, can find it easier. Don't worry, I'm enjoying myself. Just becoming a little impatient because i thought there would be a little more specification available in the manual. I was hoping to have most of the install done today so i might be able to give it a go tomorrow. Thats looking unlikely. But HEY, my new 2702V with the long antenna wires are coming, probably monday. I can use that to gather more data on the 2702 issue (i.e., crash/lock out) or maybe it will just work right this time. That might be fun.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:40 PM
Hovering until my thumbs bleed
USA, WA, Mountlake Terrace
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
I have an X5 and would be happy to help you get yours set up. PM me and I'll try to help.
newbheliusr is offline Find More Posts by newbheliusr
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Deleted due to board violations
Last edited by V999D02; Oct 28, 2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:47 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,938 Posts
To answer my own question before. Yes, the micro beast can be used with only a Satellite receiver. You need a special adapter for it. But it's not recommended for use on bigger than 450 heli.

Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:38 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,938 Posts
Getting close. I just need to figure out binding the DX8 to the RX and getting everything setup and running. Shouldn't be too long now. The 4000 mAh battery i got hardly fits under the canopy, really. It's tight. The new canopy i got won't reach the pins. I'll have to cut it myself to fit.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:00 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
With your 2702V RX your dual antennas must be at 90 degrees from each other. That picture you showed of the two curled in the same direction is not correct & I sure hope it wasn't your layout.
No those pictures are from the wow web site. But i was just thinking, when i receive the new 2702V, The wires are going to be a pain. What do i do? Put one down the boom and one going down toward to the skids? It's kind of funky. I definitely like the spectrum system more. I don't know if i should try to fly the 450 when i get it. I'm really thinking about getting a 7200BX now. That should have the 450 flying nice and reliable, maybe once and for all. Though i am curious what will happen with this new 2702V.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:34 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
Just run extended antenna (coax) down the side of the boom & at the end you will have two wires, just put one at 45 degrees & put the other one 45 degrees on the opposite of each other that gives you the 90 degrees you need.

I have a extended coax antenna on my 2703H-D RX but I only see one wire coming out of the RX, & at the end is only one tiny antenna sticking out. I guess they really changed my RX

A short story about antenna:

If you run your RX antenna in a horizontal plane (no not a plank) you Damn well better have your TX antenna positioned horizontally. If you were to point the tip of it at the aircraft you run the risk of losing control of it, as the tip puts out the least amount of RF energy. Also don't run your TX antenna in the vertical plane, it will do the same thing. Unless you are running vertical polarization on the aircraft then the opposite is true. Make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
No those pictures are from the wow web site. But i was just thinking, when i receive the new 2702V, The wires are going to be a pain. What do i do? Put one down the boom and one going down toward to the skids? It's kind of funky. I definitely like the spectrum system more. I don't know if i should try to fly the 450 when i get it. I'm really thinking about getting a 7200BX now. That should have the 450 flying nice and reliable, maybe once and for all. Though i am curious what will happen with this new 2702V.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:16 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Just run extended antenna (coax) down the side of the boom & at the end you will have two wires, just put one at 45 degrees & put the other one 45 degrees on the opposite of each other that gives you the 90 degrees you need.

I have a extended coax antenna on my 2703H-D RX but I only see one wire coming out of the RX, & at the end is only one tiny antenna sticking out. I guess they really changed my RX

A short story about antenna:

If you run your RX antenna in a horizontal plane (no not a plank) you Damn well better have your TX antenna positioned horizontally. If you were to point the tip of it at the aircraft you run the risk of losing control of it, as the tip puts out the least amount of RF energy. Also don't run your TX antenna in the vertical plane, it will do the same thing. Unless you are running vertical polarization on the aircraft then the opposite is true. Make sense?
It does, from my experience with installing 2.4ghz routers, like i said i don't know as much about their actual theory and setup. But i did install them, and one of the things that would create a return call sometimes is someone pushing one of the 2.4ghz antenna into a horizontal position. I know it sounds stupid, but some times thats all it was. The antenna had to be verticle or the people on that floor didn't get the signal, it went farther though the ceiling/floor than reaching on the same floor. So since then i always keep my TX antenna in a vertical position. Even horizontal and twisted to the side is better then straight out, if that is what your saying. I suppose that pointing the tip at it is a old mhz antenna habbit? Anyway, like i said. I like the way Spektrum handles antenna diversity better. It's pretty cool, now that i understand it a little better. Take a look at these.

My X5 actually has 4 antenna if you count the telemetry module. The AR8000 has one, then there is a remote receiver that is connected to it, which adds two more antenna. Plus, like i said, the telemetry module has one too. I don't know if it's related to the first 3 antenna or not. But this seems to prevent any amount of packet loss pretty well. Hopefully.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:31 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Just thought I would jump in here and say that you probably should not worry too much about antenna signal on the X5. I flew mine for months using a Turnigy 9x and Rx unit, and the Rx only has a single antenna lead which I usually ziptied angled off one of the boom supports.

No real issues with poor reception as far as the X5 goes ( Full disclaimer I don't use that radio anymore as it developed problems though I do use Er9x and FsSky telemetry Rx modules and now run dual antennas on the X5 just cause )

Anyone ever get the part numbers of the Hyperion servos which Gaui rebranded as the 501 and 502?
himilou is offline Find More Posts by himilou