HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:31 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
Great news, and I too have heard nothing but good about Clubheli.

With regards frame electronics, I use the BeastX in conjunction with an RX and also one Sat'.

Hope you enjoy the build.
The more i think about it. It seems like he thought i had a AR7200BX, not a uBeast. But i would still like to confirm if only a Sat. is needed for it. Because it will be a cleaner, lighter install without the extra RX.

He also was very disappointed i didn't buy it from him. Then he looked at me real funny when i told him i'm going to use the Gaui servos. Like they are garbage or something. I said "They must be better than Align". He said "Align are good! They are made by Savox". Sure Align/Savox are good. But not great right? I had a bad experience with my 0257MG servos where the pots developed play in them after one crash and they would oscillate in one particular point along their range of travel. So honestly, i would have rather had plastic replaceable gears on those "good" Align/Savox servos. At least the servos would still be good and not worthless, right? Replace the gears and the servo works again. Fault a potentiometer and your servo is junk.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:00 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Glad you had a good experience with your purchase IntegrityHndywrk, always nice to hear... not wanting to sound like a complete NOOB but whats a potentiometer ???

No one likes to lose a customer, I take it from skipping through the posts it was your LHS that looked disappointed, tis the way of the world, got to look after your own interests first and if one vendor was more appreciative of your business than another, mores the better for you mate, thats how vendors should work!

Just to add, this is why I try to buy from MM if they have stuff in stock (which they didn't with my gyro purchase), the after sales customer service from them is excellent, hoping I have a similar experience from Oomodels and a few other places I purchased from for my 450 build!
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Last edited by RotaryC; Oct 26, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:02 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
hoping I have a similar experience from Oomodels and a few other places I purchased from for my 450 build!
Don't expect too much from oomodel. I've heard enough stories. But my only purchase with them was like 10X walkera v120 size servo gear sets. I still have like 8 sets. I stopped stripping them after the replacements. Which are actually nine eagles servo gear sets, not Walkera brand. They are just compatible.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:06 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,651 Posts
Okay, Here is the initiation of my photo documented build of the X5. Any possible mods i do along the way. As well as the eventual repairs i will inevitably have to perform, hopefully not for a good while though.

Just started it with the unboxing. This seems to be something that everyone kind of just flops the contents of the boxes around in front of the camera. Just to tease you. I got some nice closer shots and opened a few things up to get a better view. There is also a v450 335mm blade comparison to the Gaui blade. Makes my 450 feel like a toy.

Gaui X5 FES w/ uBeast Build, Mod, Repair log

Please comment here, as the build log will be a work in progress.

Oh, and the manual is freaking useless. I'll have to do this one by intuition i think. It's a good thing most of it is assembled. I might only check the rotor and things and put the rest together as is. Like the tail boom? I think i can handle it. The manual looks more confusing than it's worth. Plus there are some vids on youtube and you guys if i get stuck with something.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Oct 26, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:15 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Don't expect too much from oomodel. I've heard enough stories. But my only purchase with them was like 10X walkera v120 size servo gear sets. I still have like 8 sets. I stopped stripping them after the replacements. Which are actually nine eagles servo gear sets, not Walkera brand. They are just compatible.
I'm living in hope they're ok! I'll keep you updated!

Quote:
Okay, Here is the initiation of my photo documented build of the X5. Any possible mods i do along the way. As well as the eventual repairs i will inevitably have to perform, hopefully not for a good while though.

Just started it with the unboxing. This seems to be something that everyone kind of just flops the contents of the boxes around in front of the camera. Just to tease you. I got some nice closer shots and opened a few things up to get a better view. There is also a v450 335mm blade comparison to the Gaui blade. Makes my 450 feel like a toy.

Gaui X5 FES w/ uBeast Build, Mod, Repair log

Please comment here, as the build log will be a work in progress.
About time! Its been over a day, need pics!
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:55 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
not wanting to sound like a complete NOOB but whats a potentiometer ???
It's not a "NOOB" question. It's actually a quite advanced subject that has more to to with electronics than flying helicopters. A potentiometer is the electrical device that allows the servo to recognize the position of the servo. It's basically a internal knob that spins with the main spline of the servo, that the horn attaches to. When the servo spins, the pot moves and registers the position with the servo and the gyros. Basically. A potentiometer is the same type of component that is behind most knobs on electronics.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:04 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,651 Posts
Okay, WTH is with this notice for making sure the aluminum mounting block has a pass though hole? It's obvious that there should be threads there to hold the battery tray piece in?!?!? ? WTH!?!

Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:22 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Okay, WTH is with this notice for making sure the aluminum mounting block has a pass though hole? It's obvious that there should be threads there to hold the battery tray piece in?!?!? ? WTH!?!

Just put the m3 x 6 into part #208402.

Must admit, that's an incomprehensible comment they have printed there. I can only think that they're trying to say make sure the piece has an hole and is threaded.

Like you say; They are stating the obvious, bit daft really.

Re' the RX part of things; An AR7200BX is a Spekky receiver with inbuilt RX and uBeast. You would therefore only need a sat with that on something 550 size like our X5.

I use a standalone RX, sat, and uBeast all seperate.

The AR7200BX option would be neater, but my Dx6i came bundled with an RX so I took that route instead.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Last edited by V999D02; Nov 22, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:57 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,651 Posts
Quote:
Just put the m3 x 6 into part #208402.

Must admit, that's an incomprehensible comment they have printed there. I can only think that they're trying to say make sure the piece has an hole and is threaded.

Like you say; They are stating the obvious, bit daft really.

Re' the RX part of things; An AR7200BX is a Spekky receiver with inbuilt RX and uBeast. You would therefore only need a sat with that on something 550 size like our X5.

I use a standalone RX, sat, and uBeast all seperate.

The AR7200BX option would be neater, but my Dx6i came bundled with an RX so I took that route instead.
Actually, the messed up part is they are telling you in that not to make sure that the aluminum part IS NOT threaded. Make sure it is "pass though". Which is what i did. Because they also had this note for the landing skid parts. Which indicated to me that out of the 3 aluminum parts on the skids, the front and back would have "pass though" holes while the middle was threaded. The problem here is there are 7 total aluminum parts and 3 of them are pass though. The rest are threaded. It seems obvious to me that, NOW AFTER following the instruction. That the 3 pass though should have gone on the skids and the rest go on the front and back plate. I knew i should have just left the damn book out of this

Anyway, I settled on a DX8 for the 3 mode idle up. I hope i don't regret it. I'm going to the LHS to pick it up shortly. It comes with a AR8000/TM1000 so i will also be able to install the telemetry device. I enjoy the idea of telemetry for a big heli to monitor my pack voltage at the least! But i for the life of me don't know why Walkera is wasting everyones time and money on telemetry for micros.

Thanks for the insight V999, i have to admit this had me kind of frustrated. Now i have to break down part of the air frame to move the parts around.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:43 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Actually, the messed up part is they are telling you in that not to make sure that the aluminum part IS NOT threaded. Make sure it is "pass though". Which is what i did. Because they also had this note for the landing skid parts. Which indicated to me that out of the 3 aluminum parts on the skids, the front and back would have "pass though" holes while the middle was threaded. The problem here is there are 7 total aluminum parts and 3 of them are pass though. The rest are threaded. It seems obvious to me that, NOW AFTER following the instruction. That the 3 pass though should have gone on the skids and the rest go on the front and back plate. I knew i should have just left the damn book out of this

Anyway, I settled on a DX8 for the 3 mode idle up. I hope i don't regret it. I'm going to the LHS to pick it up shortly. It comes with a AR8000/TM1000 so i will also be able to install the telemetry device. I enjoy the idea of telemetry for a big heli to monitor my pack voltage at the least! But i for the life of me don't know why Walkera is wasting everyones time and money on telemetry for micros.

Thanks for the insight V999, i have to admit this had me kind of frustrated. Now i have to break down part of the air frame to move the parts around.
Yes, you're right about the "through" hole blocks.

I just looked at my skids, and the bolts go through the #20402 and actually only screw and bite into the mounting plate.

Anyway, I know little about the DX8, but if it's as reliable as the good old DX6i that I use you will be laughing.

I have done around 250 flights using my 6i, and the 2 crashes I've had have ONLY been due to my dumb thumbs. I'm only beginner-intermediate and don't even have a Sim'. I desperately need a sim at my stage as I'm stuck stagnant at sports flying.

Besides, even if you do have issues with your DX8, at least you're in safe and considerate hands with Horizon hobby. Not like Walkera with their "Like it or lump it" ways if something goes tits up.

Really looking forward to your build progress.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:39 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,651 Posts
Quote:
Yes, you're right about the "through" hole blocks.

I just looked at my skids, and the bolts go through the #20402 and actually only screw and bite into the mounting plate.

Anyway, I know little about the DX8, but if it's as reliable as the good old DX6i that I use you will be laughing.

I have done around 250 flights using my 6i, and the 2 crashes I've had have ONLY been due to my dumb thumbs. I'm only beginner-intermediate and don't even have a Sim'. I desperately need a sim at my stage as I'm stuck stagnant at sports flying.

Besides, even if you do have issues with your DX8, at least you're in safe and considerate hands with Horizon hobby. Not like Walkera with their "Like it or lump it" ways if something goes tits up.

Really looking forward to your build progress.

New arrivals today. My $25 canopy from Helidirect. Then i drove down to a LHS that carries this stuff. Man, i've never been in this one. It's pretty extensive. They have everything from boats, cars, planes and heli. It's quite a find. I had always thought they were kind of crappy because of the part of town they were in. They were big and loaded. The guy checked the package for the DX8 and found there was no RX in the package. Only the telemetry module (oh yeah, i've got telemetry!) So, since he didn't have another one. He simply took a brand new $129 AR8000 of the wall and handed it to me. I said, "Are you sure, that looks like a big loss". He tells me, it's not a big deal. HH will compensate him. THAT is the difference between WK and HH. It sucks for the guys over seas. But for us here in the states.... I pretty much consider myself mentally retarded for putting up with Walkera this long. In 30 seconds of him handing me a $129 item and saying it will be compensated for by the manufacturer. It was almost like every single defective item. Every single defective replacement part i have received. Every failure, lock out, tip over or whatever, caused by Walkera. Was a knife in my back and it has been being twisted for a long time now with each incident with no support or even so much as a free t-shirt to soak up the blood. In that 30 seconds it took him to hand me that RX, it was almost like someone pulled out the knife. I just hope, it keeps going this good. First, hands down, my best heli purchase experience in this hobby. Followed by HANDS DOWN, my second best heli/product purchase experience in this hobby. I'm not talking about the items. I'm talking about the Professionalism and quality of customer service when dealing with vendors that are not mainly Walkera vendors. Wow hobbies does do their best, as do others. But it's obvious their hands are tied. The store owner should not suffer because the products are defective. It's really no wonder wow will refuse to sell some of walkera's products. But of course, it's obvious to anyone just holding these products in their hands. More has gone into them, and you will get more out of them. You don't even have to know anything about heli. Just have to have a eye for quality craftsmanship and attention to detail.

So far the X5 is one of the nicest heli i have seen as far as quality. I thought the CF was going to be thicker. But its narrow design and CF plates for the bottom and back and battery tray, really make the frame rigid. I can't see any major flaw that i expect problems with now that the frame stiffener is installed. Imagine that, a company that addresses known issues by releasing a product to correct the issue, revising parts. Or whatever. Instead of dropping the brand and moving on to the next model, like someone else we know.

Anyway, Here it is, new canopy! Pictures don't do it justice. Much brigher and nicer looking in person. Chrome lettering looks really nice too. and TX/RX/SX with telemetry. Only problem is it's cracked on the bottom. (like that wasn't going to happen eventually anyway)

Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Oct 27, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:43 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
Awesome Integrity! Should not be too long before that bad boy is in the air!

You are gonna love the Dx8 -- everything is so intuitive, but it has a ton of features, too.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:07 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Awesome Integrity! Should not be too long before that bad boy is in the air!

You are gonna love the Dx8 -- everything is so intuitive, but it has a ton of features, too.
Yeah, unfortunately it's a huge learning curve. I couldn't even figure out how to change models or flip the DX8 from areo to heli on the model that was selected. The battery was about dead from sitting on the shelf. It was their display model and they gave me a discount too. But i just don't know how to setup or install the RX and gyros yet. Or the TX. So i'm reading and trying to figure out what i can and translate the rest. It's kind of like i already know how to use it but i don't know what buttons to press yet.

Also, MAJOR OVERSIGHT on my part. What kind of battery plugs are people using with this? Is XT60 or Deans sufficient? Or is it just best to go with the 4mm bullet connectors? I have no plugs! I only have the Deans. So i was hoping those would work. I use XT60 on everything else. But i bought a pack of deans when i was trying to figure out what was locking out my 2702V, thinking it might be a battery connection or anything else. So hopefully these will work? I can't even charge my only pack as it sits right now with 4mm bullets.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:53 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately it's a huge learning curve.
Take the time -- it's worth it! I think there are various Dx8-specific threads here on RCG to help, too.

Quote:
What kind of battery plugs are people using with this?
I am sure there is a variety of setups, but here is what I decided personally, as I got a variety of batteries and did not want to screw up:

1S/2S = JST
3S = Deans
4S = XT60
5S/6S = Anderson Powerpoles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Powerpole
http://www.powerwerx.com/assembly.asp

So my Gaui has Powerpoles on it.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:57 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,651 Posts
There is next no documentation on what servo horns to use or how to install them? They kind of just hope you know how to install servos? Did you guys just use the rubber boots on the servo mounting screws, or did you use the brass bushings inside too? Seems pointless? I don't know, but i suppose i am to assume that the round servo horn is to be used for the tail, because it was already mounted on the servo. All the other servo horns are T shaped weird things. At first glance, i don't like these servos. The Servo horns appear to be very hard and not likely to break in a crash at all. I'd bet servo gears are stripped every time in a crash? I suppose changing out gears is the normal? I hope gear sets and horns are available somewhere? But, i'm not a fan of the pit/aile mounting either. It's very hard to remove or mount the servo with the motor in the way. I mean they could at least tell me the recommended ball distance on the horns. This part is getting very frustrating.