SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:42 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Actually no, there is not much out there besides a movie theater, high school, high school football field and an air port about 1500-2000 feet away. There could be radio interference or some kind of microwave something coming from the little private air port. But it's really hard to peg any one thing that could be close enough to cause this. Who knows.

Plug these numbers into google maps and turn on the satellite view. It's pretty damn empty out there.

29.481597,-81.206367

I'm sure the movie theater is sporting a 802.11N router. They MIGHT reach, but i just can't see it causing this. If it is, Walkera has no right still selling these damn things.
Yeah it looks pretty clear, just to be sure though, I'd maybe try the same setup you have now at a different place if your able, with nothing going wrong on your driveway it could be some obscure interference that can't be helped maybe? Just throwing out suggestions so you don't have the same issues with your new Gaui mate.
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:26 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
@Integrity..

These are the 2 bolts that I have really snug, as they are the 2 that hold the tail boom in the brackets.

I just realised you plan on using the 2801 RX with the uBeastX but I think you might have issues.

I replied in the Walk-era thread by KDean about shakes and compatibility issues as noted by Buzzflyer here in the UK who has been asked to build them on occasion with the 2801 RX.

You might want to eMail John, here for more info'; http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Last edited by V999D02; Nov 22, 2012 at 08:02 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:44 PM
United States, NJ, Plainsboro Township
Joined Aug 2009
223 Posts
I have a X5 aswell!! Awesome Heli!
kgd1 is offline Find More Posts by kgd1
Last edited by kgd1; Oct 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, NJ, Plainsboro Township
Joined Aug 2009
223 Posts
BTW Heres the New Combo:
kgd1 is offline Find More Posts by kgd1
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgd1 View Post
+1

Nice to see another RCG member with style!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
BTW Heres the New Combo:
Loving those CF boom supports. I'm gonna get some of those, definitely.

I notice the servo's have all changed as well.

Mine uses 501 on the swash and a 502 on the tail. Wonder what these new ones are like? Not that I can fault mine at all.

I do not like the new Formula canopy one bit though, and it's a rip off at $90 I think. I think the Neon Green one is quite smart though.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:52 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Which skids are you using? The white ones particularly?

Quote:
BTW Heres the New Combo:
I almost got this one instead but it was sold out everywhere, as was the uBeast combo. But i had been eye balling the last one in stock for a while at club heli. So i grabbed that one. I think the BeastX is going to be just fine. I will probably hold off flying the X5 for like a YEAR or 2 before i can afford a damn DX8 i suppose. No point in getting the DX6 or 7 with only 1 idle up mode. GRR. I wish Walkera wasn't such proprietary junk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
Loving those CF boom supports. I'm gonna get some of those, definitely.

I notice the servo's have all changed as well.

Mine uses 501 on the swash and a 502 on the tail. Wonder what these new ones are like? Not that I can fault mine at all.

I do not like the new Formula canopy one bit though, and it's a rip off at $90 I think. I think the Neon Green one is quite smart though.
WTH, what are the original ones made out of? Plastic? Thats pretty junky. First the plastic tail blade grips. That kind of upsets me. Then to think that the tail is not rigidly supported by CF or metal makes me realize why they use plastic tail blades too. CF blades would have more bite and more stress on the tail in 3D. So are the tail knightheads a problem area too? I did notice in a build video i was watching that the guy didn't use the gaui knightheads but instead replaced them with Align?

Screw paying $100 for a canopy too. Like i said, i grabbed a Canomod canopy with a crack in it from helidirect for $25. You can't beat that. I'd bet money that Fusuno canopies are better made than Gaui's stock and Canomod too. But it looks nice. I just know the Fusuno canopies will bend and flex nicely and are not so brittle. I'd fly without a canopy or make my own before dropping that much on one. I don't need a stinking canopy to slap my sticks around then crash anyway, right?

Far as i know, Hyperion are the manufacturer for the servos. I think they just upped them to a higher grade servo. From what i can tell. I didn't look at both to compare, and i know next to nothing about them compared to you guys. But the Premium package servos say "Brushless" These are superior to the "Coreless" servos i suspect are given on the uBeast super combo heli. I wouldn't doubt if they have extra torque because of the brushless motors vs coreless. But either way they should last longer before the motors go bad.

Who makes that Vbar? Is it Mikado?
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Which skids are you using? The white ones particularly?

I almost got this one instead but it was sold out everywhere, as was the uBeast combo. But i had been eye balling the last one in stock for a while at club heli. So i grabbed that one. I think the BeastX is going to be just fine. I will probably hold off flying the X5 for like a YEAR or 2 before i can afford a damn DX8 i suppose. No point in getting the DX6 or 7 with only 1 idle up mode. GRR. I wish Walkera wasn't such proprietary junk!

WTH, what are the original ones made out of? Plastic? Thats pretty junky. First the plastic tail blade grips. That kind of upsets me. Then to think that the tail is not rigidly supported by CF or metal makes me realize why they use plastic tail blades too. CF blades would have more bite and more stress on the tail in 3D. So are the tail knightheads a problem area too? I did notice in a build video i was watching that the guy didn't use the gaui knightheads but instead replaced them with Align?

Screw paying $100 for a canopy too. Like i said, i grabbed a Canomod canopy with a crack in it from helidirect for $25. You can't beat that. I'd bet money that Fusuno canopies are better made than Gaui's stock and Canomod too. But it looks nice. I just know the Fusuno canopies will bend and flex nicely and are not so brittle. I'd fly without a canopy or make my own before dropping that much on one. I don't need a stinking canopy to slap my sticks around then crash anyway, right?

Far as i know, Hyperion are the manufacturer for the servos. I think they just upped them to a higher grade servo. From what i can tell. I didn't look at both to compare, and i know next to nothing about them compared to you guys. But the Premium package servos say "Brushless" These are superior to the "Coreless" servos i suspect are given on the uBeast super combo heli. I wouldn't doubt if they have extra torque because of the brushless motors vs coreless. But either way they should last longer before the motors go bad.

Who makes that Vbar? Is it Mikado?
Yeah, Vstabi Mikado makes the Vbar. German quality like the BeastX.

The stock boom supports on mine are Aluminium, or some light metal, but I can't remember right now as it's in the bedroom.

The Aluminium boom supports are OK, but I would much prefer those new ones. They look great.

Anyway, when are you expecting your X5?

PS- Gaui have been listening to us, and have just released some CNC tail grips for the X5, and they're quite reasonably priced at a msrp of $37 I think. http://www.gaui.com.tw/html/shopping_view.asp?sn=1633

I don't mind the stockers at all, the plastic used is nice and sturdy,but I heard people have been using X4 and X7 grips if I'm not mistaken.
Last edited by V999D02; Oct 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:59 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
Yeah, Vstabi Mikado makes the Vbar. German quality like the BeastX.

The stock boom supports on mine are Aluminium, or some light metal, but I can't remember right now as it's in the bedroom.

The Aluminium boom supports are OK, but I would much prefer those new ones. They look great.

Anyway, when are you expecting your X5?

PS- Gaui have been listening to us, and have just released some CNC tail grips for the X5, and they're quite reasonably priced at $39.99 I think.

I don't mind the stockers at all, but I heard people have been using X4 and X7 grips if I'm not mistaken.
Cool, I don't know why anyone uses aluminum anymore for things like that. But thats better than plastic. But it couldn't hurt to use a knighthead brace like these, even with CF. Available in orange and black.

Just a thought, i plan on getting some for mine eventually and have been using them on my 450. It keeps the tail nice and firm for piros. Those CNC tail grips sound sweet for that price. I don't mind the plastic. But i fear stripping from the grip linkages under the tail load. If no one is having the issue, they are probably fine. But CNC just looks better too. It's probably heavier though, huh?

I just checked. The X5 is in Orlando as we speak. That is only about 45 minutes from here. It will probably be delivered tomorrow. Maybe along with all the tools and things i ordered. The pack from hobby king should be here soon too. But it's looking like the X5 will be grounded for a good while.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:57 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
That remote antenna I was referring to was a "loaded balanced" item, the length of the antenna was short, but the "load" was matched to equal the proper length of a full length antenna.

In other words, a antenna can't just be lengthened or shortened to suit you. They usually make the antenna length to the middle of the frequency range at a 1/4 wave length.

Here is the formula:
This chart shows wavelength in meters and frequency in hertz. By looking on the chart you may convert from wavelength to frequency and frequency to wavelength.
Frequency and wavelength of light are related to one another through the speed at which light travels.

Equation: f * λ = c
Equation: E = hc/λ

where:
f = frequency in Hertz (Hz = 1/sec)
λ = wavelength in meters (m)
c = the speed of light (299792458 m/s)
E = energy in electron Volts (eV)
h = Plank's constant (6.626068 10-34 m2kg/s)

Quote:
Makes sense now! One of the follies i'm now noticing in this electric side of the hobby with bigger heli is that when the switch was made to a 2.4 GHZ system. Everyone seemed to be of the opinion that short antenna wires are FINE! for 2.4 ghz. Which, is kind of true except for the CF frames can create shadowing. It kind of reminds me of the captain of the titanic. Human nature is a bitch. We never learn, i guess. If an extra 2 inches of wire can prevent a problem. Why the hell not? Everyone has put up with worse forever anyway right?

Which reminds me. Does anyone happen to know what wire would be best to extend a 2.4 ghz antenna on a 2801-pro RX?
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:20 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
285 Posts
The N router is in 5.1 Ghz no where near your freq.

Also, I found that the Devo 10 is using the same "DSSS" protocol as the 2801 pro.

With your 2702V RX your dual antennas must be at 90 degrees from each other. That picture you showed of the two curled in the same direction is not correct & I sure hope it wasn't your layout.

The reason we went to a remote antenna for 72 MHZ. was no one wanted a 34-36 inch wire flopping about near our tail rotors or near the main blades if you did pitch pumps. Just too easy to snag it.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:35 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
That remote antenna I was referring to was a "loaded balanced" item, the length of the antenna was short, but the "load" was matched to equal the proper length of a full length antenna.

In other words, a antenna can't just be lengthened or shortened to suit you. They usually make the antenna length to the middle of the frequency range at a 1/4 wave length.

Here is the formula:
This chart shows wavelength in meters and frequency in hertz. By looking on the chart you may convert from wavelength to frequency and frequency to wavelength.
Frequency and wavelength of light are related to one another through the speed at which light travels.

Equation: f * λ = c
Equation: E = hc/λ

where:
f = frequency in Hertz (Hz = 1/sec)
λ = wavelength in meters (m)
c = the speed of light (299792458 m/s)
E = energy in electron Volts (eV)
h = Plank's constant (6.626068 10-34 m2kg/s)
Yeah, the theory is all good. I was not trying to get into that. The fact is that I have been going though researching what TX/RX i want to buy. Futaba and other brands use LONG antenna wires on their RX. About 12 cm or something like that. They are meant to be mounted at 90 degrees, like you said. So a lot of other brands, NOW have the same "long" antennas. Spektrum uses a satellite RX which is basically the same idea but it's in it's own little RX package that you can place where you like. In researching the AR7200BX i found a few people saying they had a lock out on a 500 or bigger heli with the unit. But when i messaged them, they said they are not using a Satellite RX, or were not at the time. If you read the AR7200BX manual it specifically says that a satellite RX must be used with helicopters bigger than 450 because of Carbon fiber shadow from the main frame. This along with my experience with the 2702V and wow hobbies as well as DJFuji recommending that i have my 2702V replaced with the "newer" 2702V that comes with long antenna wires for the V500 and V18G01 gasser. I just assumed that i should consider soldering in some extened wires, the way they have done. I just didn't know if the wire thickness/composition mattered. (i.e, stranded or solid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
The N router is in 5.1 Ghz no where near your freq.

Also, I found that the Devo 10 is using the same "DSSS" protocol as the 2801 pro.

With your 2702V RX your dual antennas must be at 90 degrees from each other. That picture you showed of the two curled in the same direction is not correct & I sure hope it wasn't your layout.

The reason we went to a remote antenna for 72 MHZ. was no one wanted a 34-36 inch wire flopping about near our tail rotors or near the main blades if you did pitch pumps. Just too easy to snag it.
I used to install communications networks for hospitals and condo buildings. So i know next to nothing about the devices. But wireless N is 100% 2.4Ghz on most routers. Though they can operate at in the 5 Ghz range. Though a year ago, i never once saw anything but a 2.4Ghz unit. This goes all the way back to "Super G/ MiMo" Or whatever they wanted to call it at the time. Honestly, i don't know a lot about it. I just installed the things. Someone else did all the maintenance on the system and setup. But i can say that every one i personally ever installed. Including my own wireless N router at home, operates at 2.4ghz.

Just to back myself up. Because i might have been barking in the dark. I found this on wikipedia (however reliable that might be) It looks like the 5 Ghz wireless n protocol is not completed yet. The standard is planned to be finalized the end of 2012:

Full article on IEEE 802.11n-2009

But all that being the case. I 100% doubt that any kind of interfearance is the cause. The range is too great for there not to be considerable degradation. Plus the stupid thing is supposed to hop channels to prevent that. If Walkera can't get that right. Well, it's worse than i thought.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:39 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
Well when i got home today my new X5 and my first wave of spare parts arrived! PLUS! Guess what! The guy at my LHS is selling his complete airframe for it without blades (possible with motor, not scorpion) for $200. Can you say spare parts!?!

Oh yeah, and i made an extra $300 today on a side job. So guess who will NOT be using the 2801 pro to fly this beast! I might test it out or something. But i'm waiting till i get the new one. I seriously challenge someone to doubt that i make money appear when i need it though the universe's law of attraction! It's all in your head! Can anyone verify for me that all i need for the uBeast is a satellite RX, not a full RX right? This is what the guy at my LHS told me. I won't need to do anything buy plug my servos into the uBeast and get a Spektrum TX with the Satellite RX? Someone please verify if possible? I thought a RX was also needed with a Satellite attached to that, but now thinking about it. That seems redundant!?

OH, AND i have to plug my vendor! Sorry guys. This has never happened in this hobby for me. But i HAVE GOT to send some business this guy's way. He was SUPER helpful in offering to try to get my Savox 0257 servos warrantied on my 450 for a broken potentiometer on two servos. Since he tried!, and was being totally honest with me that it was unlikely but he at least would TRY. I decided to order my X5 and all of my current spare parts from him (except the skids in the photo came from my LHS, YES!!!!, my LHS stocks Gaui parts too!) The thing that REALLY sets this above and beyond any purchasing experience i have had in this hobby is. On top of the Free Shipping, that was absolutely not some BS, crappy shipping. It was 3 day Priority mail for FREE. Thats at least a $25-$30 value right there! But he sold me a 2801-pro RX that he had on sale for something like $34. Apparently he was out of stock!!! OH NO!!! Right???? No this guy didn't even contact me about it or anything. He placed a order though another vendor for a 2801-pro that cost $44+ tax since he lived in the same state + SHIPPING. He might have made some money off the heli purchase. But having an item sent to me from another vendor, which cost more, plus tax & shipping. Then it had advertisements and logos for the competitor web site with it too! This guy simply wanted me to get what i ordered and enjoy my purchase. End of story.. So MAJOR HATS OFF to Rick over at Club Heli for making this my very best, most exciting heli purchase EVER! I really can't say enough about how well his communication and willingness to please has been. So please check out the web site for your Gaui and other heli needs. Right now they have all their Walkera parts on sale too! 30% off. (looks like he's smart and is liquidating his WK inventory)

http://www.clubheli.com/
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Oct 26, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:41 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Well when i got home today my new X5 and my first wave of spare parts arrived! PLUS! Guess what! The guy at my LHS is selling his complete airframe for it without blades (possible with motor, not scorpion) for $200. Can you say spare parts!?!

Nice one IntegrityHndywrk, looking good More pictures please!
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Great news, and I too have heard nothing but good about Clubheli.

With regards frame electronics, I use the BeastX in conjunction with an RX and also one Sat'.

Hope you enjoy the build.