SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:00 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,125 Posts
Oh, and i also saw in a build video that some guy was saying he does not like the plastic blades for the tail. Have you guys ever tried CF blades on the tail? Can you notice an authority difference? For the price, the KDBB blades seem fine and come in a few colors.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:09 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Yeah, but gaui also released a upgrade set of landing skids made out of CNC and CF. They are expensive but i wonder how much more durable they are. I can't imagine the stock skids are any worse than the V450's skids. Which are decent, but not great. Since you mentioned the 500 landing gear, i was thinking maybe the Gorilla gear skids would be best? They are supposedly much more durable than the stock skids on most heli they are made for. Either way, If the skids are all i have to worry about i'll be okay. For right now i couldn't afford a new TX and RX so i'll be trying the 2801-pro with it. I also couldn't get any packs with it. I eventually figured i had to get at least one pack for setup and i got a $50 turnigy 30C pack. That brand is not highly regarded but i used the 3S packs on my 450 and they worked out well. They just degrade quickly.

I never have figured out why all the landing skids always have loops attached to them. Little eyelets for wire management or something? Makes no sense to me.
These are meant to be the real deal, so you might want to buy it while it's still in stock. Apparently, they sell quick. http://www.anythingheli.com/gaui-x5-...ce-set-208971/

Can't go wrong with Align part # h50169 though. Lots of us use them and they give the X5 a nice stance I think.

There was a Lad over on HF who fitted the expensive CF landing gear by Gaui, and when He crashed, part of the frame cracked where the one of the CF landing struts was placed so you might want to consider this.

The Align skids are strong, and have a bit of give, so when you crash you should be good.

Btw, a few people are using the Edge 92 CF tail blades with good effect.

I'm a fan of the KBDD though because I can have a bright tail for orientation being a beginner-intermediate and all that.

Anyway, I have subscribed to the thread and look forward to the build.

Be sure to clean the bolts with Isopropanol or your Mrs's nail polish remover (Acetone) before using the Loctite on them. Mine were pretty greasy.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Last edited by V999D02; Oct 24, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:08 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
These are meant to be the real deal, so you might want to buy it while it's still in stock. Apparently, they sell quick. http://www.anythingheli.com/gaui-x5-...ce-set-208971/

Can't go wrong with Align part # h50169 though. Lots of us use them and they give the X5 a nice stance I think.

There was a Lad over on HF who fitted the expensive CF landing gear by Gaui, and when He crashed, part of the frame cracked where the one of the CF landing struts was placed so you might want to consider this.

The Align skids are strong, and have a bit of give, so when you crash you should be good.

Btw, a few people are using the Edge 92 CF tail blades with good effect.

I'm a fan of the KBDD though because I can have a bright tail for orientation being a beginner-intermediate and all that.

Anyway, I have subscribed to the thread and look forward to the build.

Be sure to clean the bolts with Isopropanol or your Mrs's nail polish remover (Acetone) before using the Loctite on them. Mine were pretty greasy.
Yeah, i actually started fitting shorter screws on my V450 because i was tired of having to cut the wire ties and unscrew the frame, reinstall the ESC. All because the plastic bottom frame broke when the skids hit and broke themself. So the shorter screws would pull out and strip the plastic holes. I'd just squirt some CA in there and put the screw back in. I don't care if they are not secure. As long as if i tug on them and they don't come off. Having the skids be so rigid is pretty costly to the frame. I can see now how that can be a problem after my own experiences even with the cheap plastic ones. Is it me?? Or are those "GAUI X5 High Rigidity Brace Set" a lot lower profile than the stock? I would rather have a higher profile and wider stance if anything. Besides, i don't care if the skids break in a crash. It's when i land hard that i'd be worried about. Again, i can't imagine the gaui skids are worse than the v450 skids. The heli is not that much heavier either. Surely they must be at least up to Walkera landing skid standards? I will probably get the Trex ones. Again, i don't care if they break in a crash. Who cares about $5 replacement skids when you have to buy a new set of $80 blades right? I won't be doing much AR yet, so until i get more used to the heli and farther into 3D and doing AR landings i hope it will be sufficient? I'd totally take your word for it that the others are better though. I just can't afford crap right now. I will probably be skipping lunch for a while too
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:32 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
284 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, but gaui also released a upgrade set of landing skids made out of CNC and CF. They are expensive but i wonder how much more durable they are. I can't imagine the stock skids are any worse than the V450's skids. Which are decent, but not great. Since you mentioned the 500 landing gear, i was thinking maybe the Gorilla gear skids would be best? They are supposedly much more durable than the stock skids on most heli they are made for. Either way, If the skids are all i have to worry about i'll be okay. For right now i couldn't afford a new TX and RX so i'll be trying the 2801-pro with it. I also couldn't get any packs with it. I eventually figured i had to get at least one pack for setup and i got a $50 turnigy 30C pack. That brand is not highly regarded but i used the 3S packs on my 450 and they worked out well. They just degrade quickly.

I never have figured out why all the landing skids always have loops attached to them. Little eyelets for wire management or something? Makes no sense to me.
That is a throwback to Nitro for a remote 72 Mhz. antenna it would fit right in there.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:54 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
That is a throwback to Nitro for a remote 72 Mhz. antenna it would fit right in there.
Makes sense now! One of the follies i'm now noticing in this electric side of the hobby with bigger heli is that when the switch was made to a 2.4 GHZ system. Everyone seemed to be of the opinion that short antenna wires are FINE! for 2.4 ghz. Which, is kind of true except for the CF frames can create shadowing. It kind of reminds me of the captain of the titanic. Human nature is a bitch. We never learn, i guess. If an extra 2 inches of wire can prevent a problem. Why the hell not? Everyone has put up with worse forever anyway right?

Which reminds me. Does anyone happen to know what wire would be best to extend a 2.4 ghz antenna on a 2801-pro RX?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:05 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Makes sense now! One of the follies i'm now noticing in this electric side of the hobby with bigger heli is that when the switch was made to a 2.4 GHZ system. Everyone seemed to be of the opinion that short antenna wires are FINE! for 2.4 ghz. Which, is kind of true except for the CF frames can create shadowing. It kind of reminds me of the captain of the titanic. Human nature is a bitch. We never learn, i guess. If an extra 2 inches of wire can prevent a problem. Why the hell not? Everyone has put up with worse forever anyway right?

Which reminds me. Does anyone happen to know what wire would be best to extend a 2.4 ghz antenna on a 2801-pro RX?
I have a good electronics background so can answer this.

The wire length on the RX are the perfect length (tuned for resonance).

Extending them or shortening them will reduce the range.

Here is how the length for an antenna is calculated..

Radio waves travel at 300, 000, 000 ft or Metres p/s, I can't remember which as it was years ago that I was heavily into RF electronics.

So, here is the calculation for a 2.4Ghz 1/4 wave antenna..
300000000/2400000000 = 0.125Metres = 12.5Cm full wavelength.

A quarter wave antenna which is almost always used therefore = 0.25 x 12.5 = 3.125Cm or 31mm which should be the length on the RX if it's been cut properly.

This is why you can look at any antenna and roughly guess what frequency it operates on.

Remember big CB antennas being around 18ft long? This is because they operate on the 10Metre band. Incorrect length longer or shorter leads to bad SWR, but I wont get into it as it's another long story.

I used to do Police radio conversion to the amateur bands so know my Onions on RF matters.
Last edited by V999D02; Nov 22, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:16 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,156 Posts
Quote:
31mm which should be the length on the RX if it's been cut properly.
Everything you say is absolutely correct, however, it is possible to extend that antenna on a length of coax so that it APPEARS the antenna is quite long, but really just affords easier placement in a place to better receive the signal.

Take a look at the Spektrum receiver for carbon-bodied gliders. You'd think that antenna is 12 inches long, but really only the tip (31 mm) that is the antenna itself - the rest is just coax.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Nov 2011
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Everything you say is absolutely correct, however, it is possible to extend that antenna on a length of coax so that it APPEARS the antenna is quite long, but really just affords easier placement in a place to better receive the signal.

Take a look at the Spektrum receiver for carbon-bodied gliders. You'd think that antenna is 12 inches long, but really only the tip (31 mm) that is the antenna itself - the rest is just coax.
This is how the extended antenna are on my RX802, a long length of coax with just the tip unshielded.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:06 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,125 Posts
Okay, your right. My background in electronics is not as heavy in radio systems. Music, yes, radio, no. So this is something i actually do remember reading some where about antenna lengths. But Walkera's solution to the 2702V having lock out issues due to CF shadowing was to extend the antenna wires. So this is what brought the idea on. It makes sense why the 2.4ghz antenna are so short now. But, extension with only the tips exposed is what Walkera did. So my question still stands. What kind of wire would be best?

This is the original 2702V for the v450:

This is the updated 2702V for the 500 class heli. The antenna was extended to fight CF shadowing, supposedly.

Also do any of you owners of the X5 pin your tail boom? I'm skeptical weather or not this is necessary. It seems like a remnant from Trex owners? Has anyone experienced ejected tail booms with the X5?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Re' antenna thickness;
Any thickness will do.
The thicker it is, the greater the bandwidth. We're stuck spot on 2.4Ghz and not going anywhere, so just use some generic stranded wire.

I haven't pinned my boom, but I made sure I used loctite (Blue Loctite 242 bottle with 5 Red Loctite drops mixed in) on the 2 tail holding bolts and tightened them down pretty hard.

You might want to put some heatshrink over the TT pins though, as there have been a few reports of the pins spinning out due to centrifugal force and cutting through the boom.

Again, I haven't had the problem, but I did it for prevention purposes.

Gaui have noted this problem and fixed it now.
Last edited by V999D02; Oct 25, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:45 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,125 Posts
Quote:
Re' antenna thickness;
Any thickness will do.
The thicker it is, the greater the bandwidth. We're stuck spot on 2.4Ghz and not going anywhere, so just use some generic stranded wire.

I haven't pinned my boom, but I made sure I used loctite (Blue Loctite 242 bottle with 5 Red Loctite drops mixed in) on the 2 tail holding bolts and tightened them down pretty hard.

You might want to put some heatshrink over the TT pins though, as there have been a few reports of the pins spinning out due to centrifugal force and cutting through the boom.

Again, I haven't had the problem, but I did it for prevention purposes.

Gaui have noted this problem and fixed it now.

Since i don't have the heli yet, it's hard to know what your talking about. Is it the Jesus pins for the cone gears? Something like that? I don't know if i'm going to bother with the antenna extension or not. The more i think about it, the more i think it's total BS what wow was saying about the wires being too short, causing lock out on the 2702V. There must be a bigger issue because plenty of people fly 2702V RX without issue. But then there are the random people that keep getting lockout. At the moment it's looking like the fixed ID bind could be at the root. But there are so many people using the 2702V with Id bind and no problems too. Makes me think i'm dealing with some kind of interference. Lots of people using 2801-pro RX with no issues and MUST use Fixed ID bind to make the RX work with 3GX or uBeast, reportedly with no issues. I just received my 450 parts today. I'll do the rebuild tonight and think about flying tomorrow with the 2702V on it with Fixed ID off. I'll hope for no lock outs. It's too windy though with the tropical storm off the coast. So i may just end up deciding not to fly the X5 till i get a new TX. I just don't know how to trust these devices anymore. If i do that it will be a while before it flies. But at least i've got it now, right?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:56 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
If your going to try it with fixed ID off, just to test it, I'd do a few packs (I'd do all the packs you have to be safe) just hovering and slow and low sport flying IntegrityHndywrk, that way, if it does go, you wont be hit with a big rebuild bill. Hope it doesn't go on you but better to play safe after seeing your video!
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:21 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
If your going to try it with fixed ID off, just to test it, I'd do a few packs (I'd do all the packs you have to be safe) just hovering and slow and low sport flying IntegrityHndywrk, that way, if it does go, you wont be hit with a big rebuild bill. Hope it doesn't go on you but better to play safe after seeing your video!
Honestly it doesn't matter what way you fly. When the RX locks you out it takes the last inputs you gave and locks them in. The motor too. Nothing works, throttle hold, cyclic. Nothing works at all. So you could be inverted, or in a perfect hover. It's probably going to hit just as hard either way because the motor is going to be nearly at full speed regardless. I don't have any packs anymore. I packaged all but two up with the 450 i am selling. The rest that wouldn't give me more than 3-4 minutes flight time i threw away before they failed on me. So i'm left with 2 packs for the 450 and only the one pack i hardly managed to afford to order for the X5. It really does not matter though. Before my last lock out with the V450 i did 3 packs in my driveway strapped to a cinder block. One was a hover actually. 5 minutes each. Then went to the park the next day and had the lock out 30 seconds into the flight. It must be range related or something. I think i might bring the cinder with me and try a strap down test at the other end of the field with my TX on the opposite side. Maybe that will bring some insight.

Anyway, The X5 might not get airtime after the build. It depends on how things go. I simply can't have this one do what my last heli was doing. I'm considering trying the 2801-pro with the uBeast installed on the 450 first to test if the issue will occur on that bird. Before i ruin my nice new one. That seems to make sense?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:31 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Seems very hit and miss, maybe a range test in the field would help? There's nothing near where you fly that could be causing it is there? Tried taking it elsewhere just to check?

Testing it all on your 450 before your new Gaui is a great idea, at least after maybe a week on the 450, flying as much as you do, if nothing goes wrong you'll have some faith in the electronics for your more expensive bird!
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:36 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
Seems very hit and miss, maybe a range test in the field would help? There's nothing near where you fly that could be causing it is there? Tried taking it elsewhere just to check?

Testing it all on your 450 before your new Gaui is a great idea, at least after maybe a week on the 450, flying as much as you do, if nothing goes wrong you'll have some faith in the electronics for your more expensive bird!
Actually no, there is not much out there besides a movie theater, high school, high school football field and an air port about 1500-2000 feet away. There could be radio interference or some kind of microwave something coming from the little private air port. But it's really hard to peg any one thing that could be close enough to cause this. Who knows.

Plug these numbers into google maps and turn on the satellite view. It's pretty damn empty out there.

29.481597,-81.206367

I'm sure the movie theater is sporting a 802.11N router. They MIGHT reach, but i just can't see it causing this. If it is, Walkera has no right still selling these damn things.