HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Richmond
Joined Jul 2007
27 Posts
Discussion
Joysway Magic Vee & Cat brushless conversions

Hi All,

I have managed to convert an old Joysway Magic Vee and Magic Cat to watercooled brushless / Lipo power. I know a few people have done brushless conversions on these before but think this could be the first watercooled ???

The Magic cat uses a Hobbywing 6Amp ESC , BL1230 4100Kv motor (Giantcod/shark), 450mah 2cell lipo, FrSky V4HT Rx, Emax 8.5G servo.
The RX and ESC are stacked together and waterproofed in self sealing white tape & Silicone sealant, Servo board lacquered then packed with white grease.

The Magic Vee uses: Turnigy Plush 6Amp ESC, B1230 4200kv motor ( Hobby King), 450mah 2 cell lipo, FrSky V4HT Rx, Emax 8.5G servo, ESC and RX have been stripped lacquered covered in heat shrink and siliconed to waterproof.

Water cooling jackets where made from 15mm ali bar, drilled out to 12mm , then bored out on the lathe to ID 13.5M excluding 3 mm each end then epoxied to the motors to seal, inlet / outlet made from original cooling bar again epoxied into place.

The Cat has been running for a month now and the performance is stunning, run time is now 20mins per charge ( lipo down to 30%) i've also had to add a trim tab to counter the torque roll!
The vee will maiden at the weekend and should be even quicker with its higher KV motor. and much better hull design.

I will update some videos of them running at the weekend.

Cheers

Simon
sycosimon is offline Find More Posts by sycosimon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,304 Posts
Great job on making these hulls more fun to run. Imagine the performance with a light weight wire drive system on 3S with a sharp metal 20mm high pitched 2 bladed surface prop and thin sharp metal rudder.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:23 AM
Joined Jul 2007
27 Posts
your giving me ideas now... where can i get a 20mm metal surface drive prop from? i've got some 12amp micro esc's and 350mah 3 cell lipos doing nothing at the moment.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,304 Posts
Ahh your going to love this site its in the UK they have smaller metal props that can be trimed down as needed.

https://astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:22 AM
Joined Jul 2007
27 Posts
Thanks Ampabuse, had a look last night on there and the smallest looks to be the octura x427 & TenShock E3627 Steel (both 27mm diameter) , i've never tried turning down metal boat props ( have done plastic to make an impeller for a NQD jet boat, and lots of EDF rotors) any thing i need to be aware of?

cheers

simon
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,304 Posts
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...2318.26&cat=16
Product ID: grp-2318.26
Graupner 26mm For 2mm Threaded Shaft
In Stock: 12

Aztec use to have the above.

Or -Just watch this vid for reference you don't have to have a lot of fancy gear to do - a single file and some fine sand paper to polish out. You draw out a shape you like cut / file to shape place tape over the new blade trim excess tape off and place over the uncut blade to duplicate. Then file sharp as the vid shows.

Detounge Sharpen and Balance RC Boat Props
Detounge Sharpen and Balance RC Boat Props (6 min 33 sec)

To start take it down to 24mm, from there you can always trim down more if the motor is working too hard. By removing the low pitched area of the prop a lot of prop weight, drag with reduced amp draw increases rpm and speed.
Last edited by Amp Abuser; Oct 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Jul 2007
27 Posts
Thanks AmpAbuser I have ordered a 2 X427 props to have a play with, the weathers been horrid today so have yet to maiden the Vee with its new set up,

I haven't wasted the day due to the rain, I have been building a monster fan powered micro jet boat thing! looks like it will crack 30mph with out much trouble, ready to sail weight is 434 grams (with a 3cell 2200mah) , the EDF unit is putting out 565 grams of thrust hence the massive wing to hopefully stop it getting airborne!

if this power system goes as fast as i think it will i'll build a semi scale Bluebird K7 around the 12" mark.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:04 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,304 Posts
mini z boat catamaran brushless et lipo (0 min 51 sec)

Inspiration
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Jul 2007
27 Posts
Video of the Vee running here
Brushless Magic Vee (2 min 8 sec)
bit too choppy to really open it up but runs really well
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:52 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
jOYSWAY

The birds dive bombing the Vee and they seem not to give up either. Thanks for video!!
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:03 PM
In need of a job....
Hamilton, NJ
Joined Feb 2008
216 Posts
I have just got a magic cat and have been trying to figure out the prop size but can't find it listed anywhere. I wanted to see if maybe there was a metal proper that would fit it but I have no clue.

I see the Magic Vee has a 3 blade prop and the Magic cat has a 2 blade, whats the difference between the 2 and 3 blade props?

I just want to run the boat as is for now, maybe I will throw a lipo in there on the stock setup to get some extra gusto or maybe I will see if I can have cheapbatterypacks.com make some better NiMH battery packs. I have to also figure out what the dimensions are on these NiMH cells, there are so small!
kryznic is offline Find More Posts by kryznic
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
were can i get motor esc combos for such boats...in europe??
zazza is offline Find More Posts by zazza
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:08 PM
In need of a job....
Hamilton, NJ
Joined Feb 2008
216 Posts
anyone?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:49 PM
In need of a job....
Hamilton, NJ
Joined Feb 2008
216 Posts
No one is running these boats huh?

What's with the lacquour and white grease? I don't understand what that process is.