Steve that is a nice spread.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:07 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,104 Posts
Thanks for the family photo Steve , and now the question ............whats the better , slower . flyer , the Nieuport or the SE5a ?
wattman is online now Find More Posts by wattman
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:50 PM
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Joined Dec 2007
374 Posts
I got one Monday from TH and have flown it a few times now. (about 7 lipo's worth) It's been too windy most days or I would have more time on it.

I like the looks overall and the way it flies. No problems so far, except for the landing gear coming off at three of the mounting pads and the tail skid also breaking almost off. This happened with no rough landings, all were normal and gentle in my driveway. The gear did not have much glue holding it to the body, so I see why it came off. The skid is going to be easy to break, but I can see modding it with a longer cf rod later on. All easy to repair now with Uhu por. I'll just make grass landings from now on, unless indoors on a perfectly smooth floor.

There were a couple of small imperfections in the finish paint and glue wise, but nothing serious. I expect slight mistakes on the first produced ones. The gearbox is very quiet now, I can only hear it up close.

So far I like it a lot and it was worth the wait. Next I can see mabe printing out some cockpit details like gauges, along with under the pilot area and a seat. Or painting the interior, when I do the pilot. Need to do that before flying it again, he looks strange all white. A windscreen would be quick and easy too...
shagrug is online now Find More Posts by shagrug
Last edited by shagrug; Dec 06, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:03 PM
Noblesville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattman View Post
Thanks for the family photo Steve , and now the question ............whats the better , slower . flyer , the Nieuport or the SE5a ?
The slowest flyer is the triplane. I can fly it slower than a Vapor. Between the Se5a and Nieuport, I would give the edge to the Se5a. It will fly on very little power. I can crank in the up trim and make it creep around. It has more wing area, so more lift.
Steve Percifield is offline Find More Posts by Steve Percifield
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:33 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,163 Posts
I would like one of these but Towers doesn't see to want to remove the lipo so i can get it delivered via usps and not UPS
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:45 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Picked one up at the LHS...this is my first since the Albatross.

The SE5a is gorgeous!!

I have the day off from work so i'll get to fly it in the gymnasium later. I'll report back with another review soon.
MRGTX is online now Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, NY, Dobbs Ferry
Joined Oct 2008
748 Posts
I just got back from flying the SE5a (still can't feel my fingers) and in a word...

Awesome!

Beautiful on the ground and in the air, the new gearbox is also a huge improvement over the Albatros. I managed to break the tail skid before her first flight a little canopy glue seems to have done the trick, four take offs and landings from a parking lot and its still in one piece.

VERY HAPPY!

Stephen
nytjadens is online now Find More Posts by nytjadens
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:52 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytjadens View Post
I just got back from flying the SE5a (still can't feel my fingers) and in a word...

Awesome!

Beautiful on the ground and in the air, the new gearbox is also a huge improvement over the Albatros. I managed to break the tail skid before her first flight a little canopy glue seems to have done the trick, four take offs and landings from a parking lot and its still in one piece.

VERY HAPPY!

Stephen
Great feedback! The skid sounds fragile....i'll take a look at mine too. Thanks for the heads up.

How do you think the speed compares to the Albatros? Im hoping It's much slower.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:00 AM
United States, NY, Dobbs Ferry
Joined Oct 2008
748 Posts
MUCH slower and very sensitive on the controls in a good way!

Stephen
nytjadens is online now Find More Posts by nytjadens
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:12 AM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,104 Posts
Thanks for the reports , I should have one here Monday , anxious waiting .

wattman is online now Find More Posts by wattman
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:18 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The Abatros will actually fly pretty slow, but the trick is to go inside and move the brick back. It's about 2-3 grams nose heavy out of the box...and then Throttle> Elevator mix so 30 degree up elevator @ zero throttle to flat elevator @ 3/4 throttle. Without a mix, you have to trim in lots of up elevator for slow flight (and hold down for normal flight)

I can fly mine anywhere I can fly a Champ or Ember 2.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:27 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Hey, guys...Im "Anylinked" up to my Dx-7... Is there any way to put the rudder on the aileron?

It will be flyable with the rudder on the rudder stick but its not the typical way to set up a 3ch plane...

Thanks for any tips.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:37 AM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
This link will provide what you request for virtually any programable radio available.

http://downloads.hobbico.com/misc/hc...r-conv-faq.pdf

DJ
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:43 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
This link will provide what you request for virtually any programable radio available.

http://downloads.hobbico.com/misc/hc...r-conv-faq.pdf

DJ
That's a great link, DJ. Thanks.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi