Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:55 PM
RTF only for now!!!
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Mar 2007
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattman View Post
From the Tower webpage for this new beauty are new pics also , and this one really shows the rib detail

It also shows what looks like beefier landing gear - notice the much larger attachment area (at least compared to the Fokker Dr.1). Should help on those less-than-perfect landings!
Greg_Vincent is offline Find More Posts by Greg_Vincent
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:20 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,060 Posts
Your right Greg
, It also shows what looks like beefier landing gear - notice the much larger attachment area (at least compared to the Fokker Dr.1). Should help on those less-than-perfect landings!

and I need the better landing gear
I am so anxious for the SE5a delivery
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:16 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,240 Posts
wish this was 4 ch

still

very cool micro
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:13 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,375 Posts
You could always hack it. Sean Cassidy scratch built one in the same size that is 4C. This was snapped at JR Indoor a week or so ago.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:51 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,060 Posts
In another posting a SE5a has shown up in Indiana .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1780350
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:01 PM
Noblesville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
253 Posts
Missed this thread, so started the other, but will stay here now. It arrived today. I made 1 flight late when the winds stopped. It flies great. The gear box is quieter than previous models. And it will fly very slowly, on minimum power. Full power is very quick. Easy loops. I'm flying in a small gym saturday morning. It's a great airplane.

steve
www.hoosierdawnpatrol.com
Steve Percifield is offline Find More Posts by Steve Percifield
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:07 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
These are in stock at Wholesale Trains for $68 Membership price, so its going to be hard not to buy one.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:08 AM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,314 Posts
Parts in stock at Tower

Noticed that the SE5a parts are in stock at Tower.

Already had them in my cart but they were still listed as back ordered there, so had to take them all out and put them back to get them listed as in stock.

Placed the order.....and saw that shipping was up about US$4 from the amount previously computed, the reason being that the SE5 parts are in the Reno warehouse. So two parcels have to be sent.

Confirmed the order since I want to fly one during the Holidays.
deadduck is online now Find More Posts by deadduck
Last edited by deadduck; Dec 02, 2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Added info on shipping
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Sep 2008
252 Posts
first off, this is the best looking flyzone plane I've seen yet. great job!

Hats off to flyzone for making WWI planes. I wish more people made a variety of WWI foam planes.

I host a local indoor in my city. I love making my own micro WWI planes(nobody made micro WWI when I started) and flying them indoors. hangin' out with the guys and flying planes has been great.

However, I'm also the guy who fixes all the little micros for most of the guys. and the micros that give me the most problems are the Flyzone ones. the one , single main problem......the gears in the gear box.

Now I know you all know about, or have had issues with gearboxes.

My question to Dave or who ever, is why is flyzone still using gears with such a small modular? I personally believe that to be the problem. the actual gearbox and motor are fine, but the extra small teeeth (.3 or .2 mod?) strip too easy.

So I have a love/hate relationship with flyzone micros. I love what they are doing, making little WWI planes that look and fly great for a darn good price., BUT I hate having to constantly fix or repair the bloody gearboxes.

I make my own micro WWI planes as some of you may know
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1570284
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276823

but if the gearbox issues were ironed out I would buy all of the flyzone WWI micros!!
dcwwcp is offline Find More Posts by dcwwcp
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:27 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The "Flyzone gearbox problem" is actually a pretty common engineering problem:

When a pinion goes below 10 teeth, the gears can't continue to look like typical involute gears that work fine on 10 teeth and up pinions. The effect of the curvature of pinion is too much and there is too much slop/backlash. Try to imagine a 1 or 2 tooth pinion to see where the issue comes from..

The pitch of the gears of an 8 tooth pinion needs to be significantly increased vs 10 tooth pinion and the involute on the spur gear can look more like a triangle (straighter and pointy-er).

Power Wheels (kids ride on vehicles) had a similar issue 15 years ago when they switched from an 10 tooth to 8 tooth pinion (because they increased tire diameter and wanted to keep the speed constant) and had warranty returns for stripped gearboxes with the 8 tooth pinions.

They redesigned the Pinions to be a larger pitch than the 32p that works fine to this day on all the other gearboxes, and changed the spur gear to have a sharp, triangle shaped involute. The backlash went away and these revised gearboxes are still in production.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:31 PM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Please check that the gears in the SE5 are different. You should note that it is also quieter. DCWWCP, small gears are no fun. We do the best we can with mass production as it is. UNGN is certainly pointed in the right direction. When it comes to mass production, nothing is as easy as it appears it should be. I hope everyone enjoys this offering.

DJ
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:11 PM
Noblesville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
253 Posts
Dave's right, The Se5a is noticebly quiter than the others. But what's the big deal about the noise? The real ones made noise. Just pretend it's the engine sound.I have all 4 and fly them quite often. I have never had a gear, gear box or motor failure, and that's after several hundred flights, both inside and outside. They even withstand some ground pounding. I look forward to the next release......sp
Steve Percifield is offline Find More Posts by Steve Percifield
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:18 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I loved the noise of the original Albatros.

You can imagine a real WWI plane sounding like that.

The only thing missing was the 'Knock, Knock, Knock" of a machine gun.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:07 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,046 Posts
Flyzone has come a long way baby

I never had a flyzone plane that I liked until I got the Albatros. Even with the terrible gear noise, I love the way it flies. Then I got the new Albatross and it seems a bit quieter. Then I got the Nieuport and it seems a bit quieter too and it floats like a butterly...NOW COMES THE SE5A.

IT'S A WINNER! The finish is almost "museum" quality and they even added a decal to the bottom of the lower wing which takes away some of that "not fniished" look. The motor is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH quieter also.
I LOVE IT

IT'S BEGGING FOR AILERONS!!!!!

Just for the heck of it, I ordered the Fokker with the SE5A. I'm not a fan of Fokkers or of triplanes, but it's a real beauty too, and I bet it looks terrific in the air. I'll be able to hear it a block away too because it's got the gearbox noise.

ONE PROBLEM. We've got 20 mph winds and the only window of opportunity is supposed to be tomorrow evening...then OLD MAN WINTER HITS DODGE CITY! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR or BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I can't wait...but I will because this plane is too beautiful to trash.

While I'm praising Flyzone, I got the Sabre a couple of weeks ago and while it's a handfull, it's terrific too....MOVE OVER HORIZON...YOU'VE GOT MICRO COMPETITION!!!! (OR BRING US SOME MORE WWII birds)
Swilson 50
aka Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is online now Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Sep 2008
252 Posts
thank you for the reply dave. I feel like the modular of the gears was too small and UNGN makes a great point about physical size. the Horizon Hobby 8.5mm motor gearbox uses larger gears with a larger modular, and I don't have to fix them for long, long periods of time.

again I want to emphasize the fact that I love what you are doing with the WWI planes and the SE5a looks amazing for a mass produced micro. If the gears are different then I'm on board all the way. the noise was never a concern for me only the constant repairing of the gearbox.

SE5a is probably my favorite WWI plane. I'm glad you guys decided to do one. the whole reason I started making my own micros is that no one was making WWI micros at the time. So I'm glad you guys are.

Swilson50 - the Fokker flies great by the way. several people own that one in our group and it's a winner.
dcwwcp is offline Find More Posts by dcwwcp