SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:43 AM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2002
34 Posts
Discussion
Lama 4 just won't fly

I've been flying my Lama 4 for three years but lately it stopped producing enough thrust to fly more than a few inches above the ground. I replaced the blades, battery, speed controller and motors. I also tried repitching the blades but it just doesn't want to fly anymore.

Is it possible that the speed controller is limiting the RPM for some reason? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MDR
mdrossno1 is offline Find More Posts by mdrossno1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:07 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,470 Posts
I would be testing battery voltage. I realize you said you replaced it, but you have start the process of elimination somewhere and the battery is the easiest thing to address. Check voltage before and after an attempted flight. The next obvious thing is gear slippage and pinion clearance.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:45 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,382 Posts
Over 3 years with average handling, strands within the power wire break and the resistance goes up. This can be measured but it's awkward, have to measure voltage drop under full load (blades and all). Try this instead: Run it "a foot off the ground" or whatever it will do, for one minute. Then feel the wire where you plug in the battery. If it's very hot, there's your problem, replace the wire. Soldering will be necessary.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:41 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
716 Posts
I had this problem with an s033g. I put a heavy bar through the skids , clipped a voltmeter to the motor connection(motor end) and checked the voltage under full load. This ruled out any pcb/ wiring probs.Changed the motors with exactly the same ones from syma and it was like a new heli again. Good luck!
drambuidhe is online now Find More Posts by drambuidhe