SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:53 PM
Chris
Joined Apr 2012
165 Posts
Hi, I have read all the comments and I confused in all the specification talk. I have been looking at the Hitec X4 80 Watt Multichannel Charger (44169) - $169.99. I know it is more expensive that what I was looking for but I think a name brand might be a little safer. Is this a good charger for what I want. A lot of 3s2200mAh and when I get there 6cell. How long will it take to charge a 6cell battery. I am looking into power supplies.
chrisorbics is offline Find More Posts by chrisorbics
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:02 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
the Hitec X4 is another rebrand of this charger from hobby king:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...i_Charger.html

As for how long will it take to charge a 6s battery? well that depends on it's size. At 22.2 volts these chargers max out at 2.2 amps. So a 2200mah 6s will take an hour. a 4400mah will take 2 hours.

I've said before, I'll say again. don't skimp on your charger. they are your first/best line of defense against fires.

For $10 more This will charge 2 (same size same cell count) batteries at once and is one of the best charngers on the market:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...-HR-Adapters_2
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:45 AM
Chris
Joined Apr 2012
165 Posts
Wow that is crazy that the hitec charger is a rebrand. It looks very similar to the hitec. I was under the impression that this chrager can do 2 6cell packs at one time and 4 3cell 2200mAh at one time. I charge my 3 cell 2200mAh packs at 2amps. Can this charger do that for all four at once?

The second charge from revo does only two packs but I see it has 15amp output.
chrisorbics is offline Find More Posts by chrisorbics
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:14 PM
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
You need to learn to do your own research.

NOBODY makes a quality, reliable, safe 4 port charger. I would not trust any charger from hobby king or any of the rebrands. All these 4 port chargers are just 4 separate cheap chargers in one box that share a common incoming power line. Each port has to be set correctly for each battery. you've quadrupled your complexity and quadrupled your chance of failure of any one port.

The cellpro line chargers have brains in them that automatically set the charge rate for you: 1C 2C 3C etc. with the 10XP you can charge 4 batteries in the same amount of time as the 4 port charger by charging at 2C (which the 10xp can do SAFELY if your batteries support it.) They also tell you the resistance of your battery and correctly prevent over charge conditions. They are also American designed with representation here on RC Groups that can help you.

I don't work for cellpro, but I've sold about 10 people on their chargers. Every person has thanked me for the recommendation.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:51 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Damn.... wish I could be omniscient like some of you other folks.....

I'll refrain from participating in any more electrical related threads since I'm obviously not qualified to do so......
I promised I wouldn't comment anymore so I won't....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:09 PM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Jun 2011
263 Posts
RE Turnigy Chargers and Power Supplies.

I have a not very old Turnigy 200W charger - fan doesnt operate anymore so I cant charge at high power because it will get very hot. On paper a nicely speced charger

I have a brand new Turnigy 220 W power supply - from new, the power switch jammed (on) in the first use. It's also very noisy but at least the fan works.

I can repair both for less then the cost of sending to China - but none of this inspires me to buy Turnigy anything again.
helidex is offline Find More Posts by helidex
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:27 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
I own the Hitec 4. It works fine. the main drawback is that it is only 50 watts per channel. Fine if you are mostly charging 3s packs. It will charge 6s packs but at 50w, it can take some time to charge them. It will accept up to an 18V input which I would recommend if you are going to push it.

I use this power supply and have been very satisfied with it

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
for power supply I purchased a 12V supply from this guy for $40.00:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1626229

BEST $40.00 i've spent.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:16 PM
Outstanding in the field of...
New Haven, CT., USA
Joined Feb 2006
2,077 Posts
Quad Chargers

I'm sure there are better, and more expensive, Quad charger/balancer units available, but, at the bargain price of $85.00, and 250 trouble-free LiPo charging cycles, my new Thunder T6 Multi Charger was 'the ticket'...!
.....And I didn't even need a Master's degree in Rocket Science from M.I.T. to use it either as it's being very 'user friendly', too.

A few guys at the club bought one after seeing how convenient a Quad Charger can be.

One could assume to expect similar service from any of the units shown below, as they appear to be almost identical in design and construction with mostly their pricing being the real difference..

The W250 PSU (shown below) can provide adequate power for any of the charger units listed below.

Good info at these links;

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126097

http://www.filairsoft.com/forum/show...35&postcount=2

Hi-CAP 6S ONLY
If constant charging of high capacity 6 cell LiPo packs is required, then the iCharger 206B ($160.00USD) and an appropriate PSU (~$200.00USD) will be more efficient than the multies, and with the proper accessories, it can charge a pair of 3S packs, or three 2S packs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LiPo Storage
Here's a link to info to help prevent our 'little bricks of gold' from turning into 'expensive ballast' during their 'hibernation' time.

http://uterc.org/files/LipoStorageTips.pdf

(Prices for the options shown below may vary)
Max Headspeed is offline Find More Posts by Max Headspeed
Last edited by Max Headspeed; Jan 10, 2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Additional Info