Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Lets make this simple...

Charger:
http://www.progressiverc.com/icharger-106b.html
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...&products_id=1

Paraboard (your choice based on connectors):
http://www.progressiverc.com/adapter...arallel-boards
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15

If you don't know what you need give either of these stores a call and the guys who run them will be more then happy to help you determine what you need. They are both very reputable dealers.
Be careful with the paraboards. You have to be much more careful than you already are when connecting battery #2 and beyond. I would not recommend for indoor use, or use by kids under 14-16, though I use them. With extra caution, they work well. But if you short two balance connectors together those balance wires will get very hot very quick.

The iChargers are very good and highly recommended.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Be careful with the paraboards. You have to be much more careful than you already are when connecting battery #2 and beyond. I would not recommend for indoor use, or use by kids under 14-16, though I use them. With extra caution, they work well. But if you short two balance connectors together those balance wires will get very hot very quick.
Just out of curiosity how do you short two balance connectors together on a paraboard? Wouldn't that require using way more force then you should to plug something in backwards? If someone has a habit of regularly forcing connectors together that don't fit perhaps this isn't the hobby for them.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:41 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Just out of curiosity how do you short two balance connectors together on a paraboard? Wouldn't that require using way more force then you should to plug something in backwards? If someone has a habit of regularly forcing connectors together that don't fit perhaps this isn't the hobby for them.
I apologize if I struck a nerve. It sound like I did judging by the tone of your response. You don't have to do it "regularly"... and you don't have to "force". Once is enough, and it doesn't take much in the way of pressure.

All you have to do is:

1. Put a 4s near a 5s port when you already have a 4s on another port...don't really need to "force". Simply making electrical contact is enough.
2. Use a battery with a balance connector where the crimped wires pop out of the housing. This is an issue with and without a paraboard, though. Made much worse with an AB clip. The AB clip is great for strain relief when removing balance connectors, but when inserting, it is very dangerous if two crimped wires pop out of the connector housing and into the AB clip.

I stand by my advice. If you parallel charge with a paraboard, best to do it outdoors or in a garage away from things you wouldn't want a hot smoking lipo near. I would also skip the AB clips. Charging lipos is potentially dangerous, but using a paraboard makes it more dangerous.

I still use a paraboard, though.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisorbics View Post
Hi, I mostly charge3 cell 2200mah batteries but I am going to be getting a charger rc giat fussion which run on 6 cells minimum. If I could do two six cell pack at once I would be happy. Also four 3 cell 2200 mah packs would be great.
Hmm.....

Have I missed the post where folks address the power supply to help make it possible?

Those can be more money than the charger depending on what you buy...
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:13 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
I am pretty sure there isn't a battery charger that can charge 4 6cell batteries all at once for $100. You'll pay that much for the power supply alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Hmm.....

Have I missed the post where folks address the power supply to help make it possible?

I tried to warn them... but NOOOOO they wouldn't listen
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:50 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Hmm.....

He simply asked a "charger" and gave a price range. He never said a thing about needing a power supply within that budget as well. For all we know he has one. All we can do is make recommendations based on the information given / requested.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
"Best Charger for around $100 that can charge 4 batteries at once up to atleast 6 cell"

How about 2 Accucel-8's?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7523
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:57 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,700 Posts
Quote:
Hmm.....

They can also be free or had for next to nothing if you're resourceful and know where to look and aren't afraid to ask.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:07 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
"Best Charger for around $100 that can charge 4 batteries at once up to atleast 6 cell"

How about 2 Accucel-8's?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7523
In reality a single Accucel6 can charge 4 6S at once but it's not practical because it would take forever. Personally I'm considering picking up a pair of ECO6-10's for smaller charging tasks.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:40 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,201 Posts
Damn.... wish I could be omniscient like some of you other folks.....

I'll refrain from participating in any more electrical related threads since I'm obviously not qualified to do so......
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:20 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
I use a Thunder T6 from hobbypartz, havent had any problems with it. The only thing is you need to buy two extra balance boards as it only comes with two. I think I spent under 100 even with the two extra balance boards.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,441 Posts
I use the T6 thunder power too, but it is barely tolerable with 4S 2200mah, too slow with 6S 3300/4000 mah.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:39 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
That doesn't surprise me, I don't have anything above a 3S so definitely can't speak to 4S and 6S packs.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,441 Posts
That's what I use it for 2S and 3S batteries. If you charge the night before you go to the field, the T6 is fine though even for 6S.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:15 PM
Outstanding in the field of...
New Haven, CT., USA
Joined Feb 2006
2,048 Posts
A safe, reliable, yet versatile charger is key to unencumbered EP flying. Therefore I highly recommend the Thunder T6 Multi-LiPo Battery Charger (4X 6-Cell) as one that fills the bill without taking a lot of them out of your pocket.
I got mine from HobbyPartz.com for $85.00 including the free shipping they offer on any order over $50.00.

It may not be the best charger available, but the one I'm using currently, no pun intended, has over150 trouble-free charging cycles (3S 2200-3000mAh LiPos) since I got it this summer.
I'm very satisfied with my choice as I'm able to go out to the field with discharged packs while having the ability to charge four (4) packs(*), and depending on the pack's depth of discharge (DoD), and/or rate/type of charging, have at least one pack ready for use in about 20 minutes, and the others ready shortly thereafter.
(*)or you can charge 8 3S LiPo packs simultaneously (2 per charge port with the proper adapters)

I use balance lead extensions (w/proper pin spacing) which plug directly into the balance ports.

I've been powering it at the field thru a custom-made cable from the vehicle's 12v battery, but in order to use an A/C power source, a separate PSU is required.

An appropriate PSU should be used when charging the higher cell LiPo packs at an acceptable rate/time as a standard automobile battery couldn't, or I should say shouldn't be used, but a deep-cycle 'marine' type battery would work if properly maintained though.

I've seen this exact charger offered at higher prices by other vendors who merely affix their branding on the front panel, and the S&H is additional.

So, do yourself a big favor and check it out.

Please let us know what you decide.
Max Headspeed is online now Find More Posts by Max Headspeed
Last edited by Max Headspeed; Nov 13, 2012 at 06:51 AM.