HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:44 AM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Aug 2012
10 Posts
Question
Servos for Venom

Hi - first post, a question regarding the Ready2Fly Venom kit: which servos would be suitable?

I know very little about servos, other than the fact that the couple of models I've bought so far have plastic gears. I'm aware that you can buy heavier duty versions with metal gears but don't know when you need to move to these - beyond a particular model weight? The website simply states that the model requires "9g servos" - what is this a measure of? Surely the physical size makes a difference?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
ezyGriff is offline Find More Posts by ezyGriff
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:42 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,587 Posts
9 grams is the weight of the servo. The Hitec HS-55 is a 9 gm servo (well actually it's 8 gm but it's in the same category). All 9 gm servos have the same dimensions. The servo pockets molded into the venom fit the 9 gm size.

BTW how much experience do you have? The Venom is not a beginner plane.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:12 PM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,194 Posts
Make video of the maiden flight..
mcnowhere is online now Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Aug 2012
10 Posts
McNowhere: you sound a little sceptical.... probably fair.

GGCrandall1: thanks for the info. As I understand it, any servo that is described as "9g" will be of standard dimensions (even if the weight isn't exactly nine grammes). I only have foam models at present, and one of the drawbacks seems to be that the servos they put in foamies aren't of the highest quality. For example they seem to have at least two different "neutral" positions, making trimming more difficult. I gather I can throw money at the problem and upgrade to metal gears.

The two main reasons for considering buying the kit version of the Venom, rather than the ARTF one, are (1) in order to get a better-sounding model, and (2) to fit some better servos (perhaps Ready2Fly fit better servos than EFlite and ST Models - dunno). The EJets 90mm fan has been recommended to me. I don't know which motor to attach to it yet because they're not returning my emails, so my basic research continues.

What I would really like to do is go for a proper, built-up model instead of a foamie, but I recognise my lack of experience makes it likely that the model will end up smeared thinly across the countryside (I'll try to catch that on video for you, Mr McNowhere!), so I'm trying to compromise and keep the budget down for my first EDF.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:41 PM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,194 Posts
I just like vids. I have a venom f86 but I don't think the usa has a distribution for planes any more. The place in Idaho where mine came from mostly does cars anymore or I would call them for ya.
The vid on the website looks like you should not have any troubles keeping it in one piece. I see there is a thread on this plane and one person used HS65 MG servos. And looks like some are on your side of the pond maybe close enough to fly together. Here is the thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=servo I would still like a vid of the maiden
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:29 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezyGriff View Post
McNowhere: you sound a little sceptical.... probably fair.

GGCrandall1: thanks for the info. As I understand it, any servo that is described as "9g" will be of standard dimensions (even if the weight isn't exactly nine grammes). I only have foam models at present, and one of the drawbacks seems to be that the servos they put in foamies aren't of the highest quality. For example they seem to have at least two different "neutral" positions, making trimming more difficult. I gather I can throw money at the problem and upgrade to metal gears.

It's not metal vs nylon that causes the problem with a poor return to neutral. It's the feedback potentiometer that causes that problem. But you are right to avoid any servo that does not center properly.

The two main reasons for considering buying the kit version of the Venom, rather than the ARTF one, are (1) in order to get a better-sounding model, and (2) to fit some better servos (perhaps Ready2Fly fit better servos than EFlite and ST Models - dunno). The EJets 90mm fan has been recommended to me. I don't know which motor to attach to it yet because they're not returning my emails, so my basic research continues.

Sorry I cannot help you with picking a motor.

What I would really like to do is go for a proper, built-up model instead of a foamie, but I recognise my lack of experience makes it likely that the model will end up smeared thinly across the countryside (I'll try to catch that on video for you, Mr McNowhere!), so I'm trying to compromise and keep the budget down for my first EDF.
Search the thread that McNowhere linked to. Lots of good information there. If you cannot find your answer right our then ask your motor question there.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:32 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,646 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idProduct=662
This is one of the more popular 900 gram servos. Very heavy gearset so they are very robust. I have many, many in use with very little problems over many yrs..

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Aug 2012
10 Posts
Thanks for the links, gents. I'm trawling through the thread now, could take a while. It sounds like the Swiss were planning to fit good quality components, so perhaps I'm wasting my time looking at the kit version, but that was in March 2011 so I'll keep reading.

Those Hextronik servos look like amazing value.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:29 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,646 Posts
Bummer!! I just checked the website and they're backordered. .

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4kg_0_09s.html
Probably sticking my foot in my mouth but these are very comparable to the 900s Read the reviews and they are comparing them to the 900s. Showing 5 stars all nown the line, I don't thing I would hessitate to try these.

Gord.
Last edited by flypaper 2; Oct 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined Aug 2012
10 Posts
Thanks, Gord. I'm hoping to do this as a winter project, so waiting a few weeks for the Hextronik servos to come back in stock wouldn't be a problem. Am I right in saying that they're analogue servos? Since they're so popular I assume poor centring wouldn't be an issue, but would there be any benefit in using digital ones?
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:10 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,646 Posts
Yes, they are analog. I don't have any problems with centreing. I have more problems with my old planes where the holes in the control horns are getting loose from wear

Gord..
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:50 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
916 Posts
I also have had no problems with centering my servos. If the arms aren't centered after they are installed rotating the arms 180 seems to center them for me.

Ben
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:37 PM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,194 Posts
Vampire Mk6 SMASH!!

Hey griff, remember I like vids? Don't try this with yours.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743120