SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:10 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Discussion
"Ask me anything" from ex-HobbyKing customer service agent

Saw this on Reddit the other day, thought everyone here would appreciate it. Some real gems from the "inside" of the HK customer support:

http://www.reddit.com/r/radiocontrol...ma_from_an_ex/

Quote:
Where did you live/work?
I lived in Hong Kong, and that's where I worked. It took about 40 minutes by train to get to work. Some of the customer service staff were based in Shenzhen (China) though.

How was it working there?
Honestly? It was the worst company I've worked for. We were over worked, they are understaffed. Worst of all was we had to work in silence pretty much all day. It's pretty hostile, but that was just the Customer Service office. The main office looked like it was more fun, so I can't really say if it would be good or bad in another position.
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
Last edited by polyfractal; Oct 28, 2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Edited to reduce size of quoted material
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:49 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
That pretty much sums up what many have suspected.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:35 PM
Heli nut
Australia, WA, Wembley Downs
Joined May 2005
434 Posts
I wouldn't put too much weight into the the ramblings of an 'ex' employee of any business....

They left (or were asked to) for a reason.
Trexmad is offline Find More Posts by Trexmad
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
I don't know about that one.......If one were to follow that advice, then 99% of the world's working population should be ignored as everyone has something negative to say about a previous employer. There is no such thing as a perfect employer or company. I know people that left a happy job purely because of a much higher paying offer. Even though happy with their previous job, can still give examples of things that weren't so hot.

There's probably more truth to his statements than anyone on this forum could offer. Remember, nobody in here by their own admissions "works for HK" or "has worked for HK." That makes the employee's statements considerable more credible. People asked him direct questions, he answered. In fact, some of his advice is aimed at helping customers deal with HK's policies and process. Sure doesn't look like negative ramblings at all.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Yeah, everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Did he have an axe to grind? Maybe. But none of his statements were overly bitter or angry. It all seemed very truthful, and in some cases extremely informative (e.g. when submitting a warranty claim).

I have nothing against HK...I just ordered from them the other day. I just found it an interesting inside view to one of the larger internet retailers of RC supplies.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:55 PM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,855 Posts
LOL, HKCSthrowaway.

Actually if you read all the full comments many are personal opinion based on a limited view of what actually happens and supported with "I was only CS and not necessarily aware" type comments. I don't think there was anything said that wasn't already known. I think the answers were honest enough.

I always thought AMA's on reddit were not meant to contain answers of opinion? For example the moderating of reviews. Pure speculation. Again I think everyone knows that a BS review will be removed. The option is there for other customers to report reviews and discussion comments if they seem to be BS.

Mark (Hi John)
KCV6 is online now Find More Posts by KCV6
Last edited by KCV6; Oct 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Interesting, he confirmed most of what I already suspected. I wish he could have given more information about the manipulation of product reviews on the HK site and elsewhere. I believe he did give One bit of bad advice though. Don't ask for a store credit get a full refund (including shipping) back to Paypal or your credit card.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:54 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,855 Posts
He? I thought it was Cheryl?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:05 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Not that this person has said anything that hasnt been said here 10000000000 times but I would still like to see some sort of verification or proof of his said employment..... Reddit is notorious for demanding proof for AMA's and this holds no validity until it is proven. Again, not that everything this person just said hasnt been said and said and said again, just dont take it to heart with all the crazies out there p.s. this AMA is almost a month old..
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
Not that this person has said anything that hasnt been said here 10000000000 times but I would still like to see some sort of verification or proof of his said employment..... Reddit is notorious for demanding proof for AMA's and this holds no validity until it is proven. Again, not that everything this person just said hasnt been said and said and said again, just dont take it to heart with all the crazies out there p.s. this AMA is almost a month old..
Ok, so these things have been said over and over countless times. You decry and desire proof, you want to fight the battle.....
so why don't you go ask him yourself? It's only the right thing to do seeing how you want to call his credibility into question and since he cannot defend himself here, it's only fair for everybody that you go over there to ask him for yourself.

Last edited by Joe 1320; Oct 25, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:40 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,855 Posts
Fight the battle? Why would anyone want to fight a battle? It's just an opinion. Again, why is it a he?

Mark
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
Yeah, this is a good point. The OP of that thread never provided verification that he worked there (not sure how you would do that, maybe a picture of your old ID card or something?)

Lots of people have been burned by HK, because of their own fault or because of HK, so this could just be some bitter person with too much time on their hands
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:47 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,855 Posts
I don't doubt it was an ex CS rep and like you said the tone of the answers was not particularly negative, it was quite civil. I remember an ex BH CS rep doing a simular thing here on RCG. The HK lovers will read it one way and the haters will read it their way. Some will read it like it was written in Curtis.

Does it list OP details on reddit? Hows the Search engine going polyfractal?'

Mark
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
KCV6: Doesn't list many details other than "Hey I'm an ex-HK CS rep...got any questions?" The OP talks about living in Hong Kong but that's about as close to "verification" as it gets.

The search engine is going well! I'm currently trying to expand the product catalog by including new vendors. It's a slow process...most vendors don't have a nicely formatted data feed that I can parse. The roadmap for CompareRC right now is to bulk up my vendors from 30 to around 50-70, then revisit all the categorization and search algorithm stuff.

Always more to do, but I'm happy how it's turning out
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:35 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,855 Posts
Yeah I've had a browse of it a few times, looking good so far. Also good to see you are getting a kick out of the FPV experience. You need to venture to the "dark side" and have a crack at multirotor FPV at some stage.

Mark