HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:12 PM
United States, GA, Calhoun
Joined Jun 2011
124 Posts
From what I understand, (Icould be wrong) the guy who was running RCM Plans Service has passed away and his wife or a family member was trying to run the business. I talked to Eureka Aircraft Co. the other day and he is trying to buy the rights to RCM Plans but is also having problems getting anyone to respond. He is hoping the estate attorney will contact him. I hope that it works out because I want to build a Bill Evans Simitar.
KaP2011 is offline Find More Posts by KaP2011
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:23 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,847 Posts
That would explain a few things.
I wonder what will happen to us poor saps that are getting screwed in the interim....

Thanks for the info.

VR,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:12 AM
Ahh another money pit. :)
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Feb 2013
559 Posts
Hi
When did you talk to Eureka Aircraft Company? I have searched in the past the local papers for that possibility. I have posted what if found on the business. Searched county property tax roles and matched up the named owner and a home address. I have sent a certified letter to that address. Do you know the owners name. There are a bunch of us that have placed orders and haven't receive them. Anymore info would be a great help. Since you mentioned you could be wrong. How sure are you of the info. Does the guy know the owners?

Thanks in advance and for the post. If it is true my letter should be returned to me unsigned.

Tom B.
Tom B 1956 is offline Find More Posts by Tom B 1956
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hobby King's Edge 540T EPP
Old Mar 08, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Feb 2013
559 Posts
Hi all

As you all know I have been actively trying to get in contact with RCM Plans out of concern for my own orders and now out concern for the business. I am working with two sites that have threads just like this one. I have researched the address of the owner of the business and posted the results of what I have found. Also I used my debt card for my orders. I just looked up the orders on line with my bank and found a phone number that has not been listed. That number I dialed and got an answering machine of what sounded like an older woman which in earlier posts stated who was running the service. That number is 626-485-8644. I don't really know who this person is. I left a message asking for status of my orders also that there are many others trying to get in contact with the service. Left my number and I am hoping for a call back. The certified letter I sent has yet to be marked delivered. Not to sure it will be.

Note that number doing a reverse lookup ties to McCabe Joseph Thomas in Pasadena. Well I have no idea's any more.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:31 PM
Joined Feb 2013
559 Posts
HI all

That letter has been Delivered. lets see what happens from here.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:45 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,050 Posts
Thanks for the update. I appreciate your efforts. I just hope all is well with them out there.

Back in the late '70s and early '80s I went to RCM Magazine in person and picked-up plans. As you know, it was a small outfit. There was a woman there that was the all-around office manager/secretary/chief bottle washer, and plans manager. When RCM closed it's doors, this woman ended-up with the rights and inventory of plans, books, back issues, etc.. My memory may be cloudy on this, but I could swear that she was delivering the plans from California first, and then Oregon.

My last order with them was a couple of years ago, and the plans arrived in a couple of weeks after I placed the order. This was a typical delivery time - at least in my experience.

I really hope things work out. I've ordered a couple of short kits from Don at Eureka. He'd be a great guy to pass the baton to.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:15 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B 1956 View Post
HI all

That letter has been Delivered. lets see what happens from here.
Fingers crossed.
Thanks for your effort and sharing the info.

R,
Target
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:47 PM
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Jan 2012
189 Posts
Yes, thank you for the effort. I'm sure all that research took some valuable time. From all the bits and pieces that are crossing the different forums on the RCM Plan topic, it seems that the current owner of the plans is more likely overwhelmed than out to get rich one crooked plan sale at a time.

There are so many great airplanes captured in that library of plans, I truly hope they find a home with a steward of the hobby who can continue to make them available to us. It will probably be a relief to us as well as the current owner
campbelltf is online now Find More Posts by campbelltf
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:10 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,061 Posts
Isn't there a modeler in the LA area to stop in and see what's up? I would believe they owned the original building and am guessing they are working out of that building.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Is it possible to lose weight?
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:16 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
Isn't there a modeler in the LA area to stop in and see what's up? I would believe they owned the original building and am guessing they are working out of that building.
They've been shipping plan orders out of Oregon for several years now.

EJWash
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:18 PM
United States, GA, Calhoun
Joined Jun 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B 1956 View Post
Hi
When did you talk to Eureka Aircraft Company? I have searched in the past the local papers for that possibility. I have posted what if found on the business. Searched county property tax roles and matched up the named owner and a home address. I have sent a certified letter to that address. Do you know the owners name. There are a bunch of us that have placed orders and haven't receive them. Anymore info would be a great help. Since you mentioned you could be wrong. How sure are you of the info. Does the guy know the owners?

Thanks in advance and for the post. If it is true my letter should be returned to me unsigned.

Tom B.
I talked to Eureka Aircraft about a week ago, I believe it was Don I talked to. It's my understanding that he does not know the owner of RCM Plans. He is trying like everyone else to contact them. I'm not sure if he wants to buy the rights to all of the plans or just for what kits he sells. As for the other information it is only what I've picked up while reading different websites. It may or may not be true. If it is then I too believe the owner is not out to cheat someone but is simply overwhelmed.
KaP2011 is offline Find More Posts by KaP2011
Last edited by KaP2011; Mar 10, 2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: .
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:34 AM
Joined Feb 2013
559 Posts
Thanks for the info. I didn't get a phone call. The site hasn't changed. But the letter was received 8 Mar 2013. I am hoping for some kind of indication from the owner about why RCM PLANS has dropped off the world. I will give it one more week before filling a complaint contacting local authorities about the site and the owner.

Tom B
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:56 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,847 Posts
You can add me to the complaint list or I can fill out forms if you post a link.

R,
Target
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Feb 2013
559 Posts
Hi everyone
I got a response to the letter I sent. If it' worth anything to you all they are still in business and apologize for the delay. And sent this to me. I hope that RCM can catch up and we all can stop worrying about them.

Tom B.

COPY OF LETTER SENT
Dear Sir:
My name is Thomas Brandt. I am writing out of concern for you and the
business RCM Plans. There are 2 primary internet groups where modelers share
information about the different aspects of the hobby. Both of these groups
have threads about RCM Plans. They all say your mail service is slow to say
the least, but they say they always get the plans they have ordered and that
the plans are in keeping with the professionalism that RCM is known for. But
in recent months nobody is stating they are receiving the plans they have
ordered but orders are still be accepted on your website. Email is
unanswered and the calling rings till you get a message that no one is
available. I am writing this for myself and not anyone elseís behalf. I only
mention the above as the driving reason for me to write this. I only ask
that if you would put a notice up on your website on stating that the
service is still available and you are still in operation and the reason for
the delay in shipping. If you are not in operation please start refunding
the unfilled orders that you have on file. I would rather hear that you are
still operating and all is well but based on the lack of communications I
believe this not to be true anymore. I know that the magazine part was
closed. Reasons was probably due to subscriptions were not enough to
continue the service. And in 2009 RCM Plans went into business. As for
myself I remember this magazine when I was participating in the hobby but I
havenít in many years and only started back in it recently. I would rather
build a model than buy one already built even though that isnít the majority
opinion these days. This is the reason your Business RCM Planís is important
to me and I believe too many others around the world. I hope that this
service will continue and all is well with you and your family.
Respectfully,

Thomas Brandt
THIS IS THEIR REPLY. .

Dear Thomas,
Thank you for your interest in RCM Plans. Yes, we are still in business. Unfortunately we have had several problems in the last few months... needless to say this has put us behind in filling orders, phone calls, etc., etc. I apologize for these delays, and I am not making excuses for them. Thanks to modelers like you, Thomas, this makes us keep trying to make this work!

Your plans (order # 6426) will ship this week. Again our apologies.
Sincerely,
RCM Plans

Casey & Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:20 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,050 Posts
Way to go Tom! Contact at last. Now let's hope for the follow-through.

EJWash