HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:49 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust. View Post
if they simply added the value of a gift certificate to your bonus points as soon as you activate it.
Of course

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:49 PM
Intentionally left blank
Joined Aug 2005
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust. View Post
"redeemed in full" To me has always sounded a bit ambiguous. To me it reads as you've got to use it all, not that you have to use it all in one transaction. I know that's ilogical but that's how my mind interprets that wording. It might help if they changed the wording to make clearer that it must be in the one transaction but they could completely avoid Berkie's situation in the future if they simply added the value of a gift certificate to your bonus points as soon as you activate it.
Also, my interpretation of "redeem in full".
Any balance recorded as credit would be an easy honourable solution.
Just used a gift voucher (paper based) at Hobbyrama, 2 transactions over 2 weeks. Not a problem for them. Bit of a shortfall on second purchase so they got an extra amount on top of the value of the voucher, good business practice these vouchers . Pick up the game, HK.

The credit card type voucher is generally a one transaction deal, surrendered when used. For example
http://www.bunnings.com.au/gifts-gui...ard-terms.aspx
Bunnings will give up to $10 cash refund, I usually go over on mine anyway.

PS: If in Berkie's case, the staff at Bunnings, Coles, Woolworths, etc would tell you that you would lose the lot, but then Bunnings et al have an idea of customer service and relations.
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat
Last edited by Magrat; Oct 29, 2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added PS
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:20 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
Also,
PS: If in Berkie's case, the staff at Bunnings, Coles, Woolworths, etc would tell you that you would lose the lot, but then Bunnings et al have an idea of customer service and relations.
?? None of those do that. You always have the balance to spend.

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:36 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
The manager is Nick So

Kev
So, what?

Glad you got your dough.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:42 PM
Australia, NSW, Nelungaloo
Joined Oct 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
So, what?

" So what?" He was asked by Valanti for whatever mysterious reason he had and Nick So was the answer.
Sawdust. is offline Find More Posts by Sawdust.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:48 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,199 Posts
Bad joke: so sorry.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:55 PM
Australia, NSW, Nelungaloo
Joined Oct 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Bad joke: so sorry.
Dohhhh!! Not such a bad joke at all. Nick ""So"". I was way too slow on the uptake. Sorry bout that chief .
Sawdust. is offline Find More Posts by Sawdust.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Why would any reputable company have such a policy to begin with? I see it as just a way to make easy money without delivering any product. I'm sure Berkie is not the first to get caught in this trap but others that lost lesser amounts probably don't bother to persue it. It's just a Rip Off.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:30 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,728 Posts
I really can't see what the big deal is,i for one under stand what they mean and a few others seem to as well,plus they even gave the man the out standing balance when they didn't have to,so i'd say thats sounds like a reputable company to me.

If you someone can't be bothered to read how to redeem a gift voucher then who's fault is it if you lose the balance you didn't spend,but as HK under stood that this guy really didn't understand they sorted him out simple.

As for not being a reputable company thats your opinion but theres loads that would disagree with that,some people (i don't mean anyone on this thread/forum) have to knock HK at every chance they can,makes you wonder why or is it just a case of jumping on the band wagon.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
some people (i don't mean anyone on this thread/forum) have to knock HK at every chance they can,makes you wonder why or is it just a case of jumping on the band wagon.
Hmmm, if you don't mean anyone on this thread/forum then why did you post that comment here???
I know what you mean. There is a certain bunch that hates on people who post bad experiences with hobbyking. Makes you wonder why or is it just a case of jumping on the band wagon.
Last edited by valanti256; Nov 02, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:52 PM
United States, MD, Severn
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post
Cut and paste from HK shop:

Gift certificates are emailed to the account holder within 24hrs of Payment.
Gift certificates do not cover postage costs.
Gift certificates can be given to anyone.
If more than 1 certificate is purchased it will be grouped into 1 single code. Receiver can request the code to be split into smaller amounts.
Gift certificates are not refundable, transferable and can not be replaced.
Gift certificates must be redeemed in full

Berkie, just go to the support centre and get them to split it. Probably would have paid to read up on them first.

Mark
I see a couple problems with this. If the company automatically grouping purchases into a single code they are setting people up to lose money.

What is the not covering postage part, if he has $200 in certificate and $150 in purchases, the certificate value can't be added to the total charge???

What is the not transferable part about, it is a GIFT certificate isn't it???? Definitely ambiguous directions:
Gift certificates can be given to anyone.
Gift certificates are not refundable, transferable and can not be replaced.
oly_r is offline Find More Posts by oly_r
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:25 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Hobbyking doesn't understand that policies that help the consumer will help their business as well. If more people get robbed by this gift card rule and are then given a worthless response by customer service, they are obviously never going to shop at HK again. This means HK loses out on future sales that are worth far more than the amount they get to keep from the gift card.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:34 PM
Warbird Fanatic
United States, PA, Coraopolis
Joined Jun 2012
272 Posts
Extra sales

The only reason I think they keep this policy is that in trying to use the full amount--chances are you are going to actually order a few dollars more than certificates actual worth. Then add the shipping costs which cannot be included--and they make extra income from probably every certificate they sell. Then there are those than may get lost, stolen, etc, and never get used, or the instance that started this thread where the user was unaware of the rules and didn't spend the full amout on one order. All in all it's a win win for the vendor.
Happy to see he got sorted out and did not lose $189.
jchtr3a is offline Find More Posts by jchtr3a
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
Hobbyking doesn't understand that policies that help the consumer will help their business as well. If more people get robbed by this gift card rule and are then given a worthless response by customer service, they are obviously never going to shop at HK again. This means HK loses out on future sales that are worth far more than the amount they get to keep from the gift card.
How right you are. Unfortunately the amature HK management doesn't even understand basic business & customer service 101 concepts.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:08 PM
United States, IL, Northbrook
Joined Sep 2011
543 Posts
I just had a similar thing happen on my last order. Received a $200 gift certificate as a gift. Thought it covered shipping and clicked through the payment screen quickly before I noticed it.

I contacted support right after my order asking if I can cancel and redo my order with an additional item, they said no. I asked if I can just add an item to the order since I still has some weight available for my shipping cost. The last correspondence just said the order was already put together and will be shipping soon so no modifications can be made.

It's going to be hard wanting to continue buying from them if they put such little effort in helping with issues like this.
Dirty Dee is offline Find More Posts by Dirty Dee