Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:02 PM
Where the hell is Biggles
Upstate New York
Joined Mar 2005
215 Posts
Rant
Tower Hobbies new look

Is it just me me or is anybody else noticing that Tower Hobbies doesn't have a
Electric flight section anymore on their" new and improved" site.
I used to buy a lot of crap from them,,,,,,maybe not no more.
Nederland is offline Find More Posts by Nederland
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:50 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Hi Nederland,

I just went on their site and clicked on the "airplane" selection and the same page of airplane types from the old site popped up. It has an electric RTF group by itself and an electric option in the ARF and Kits group.

Maybe you caught their site while they were upgrading. I had not been there in a while so I did not know they changed. I have had good luck with Tower and their products so will continue using them.

Hey, good flying to you.
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:06 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
Been over on their website several times in the last week, including placing an order today, saw the new look, and found the exact same content that was on there before.

All the electric stuff that was there a year ago is still there with the addition of new planes and equipment coming out all the time.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:07 PM
Upstate New York
Joined Mar 2005
215 Posts
It used to be you clicked on electric flight and boom everything was layed out for you right there.

Now electric motors are a sub group of engines and accessories (!??)
And how you get to Speedcontrollers for instance, I haven't been able to figure out yet.

I'm just mystified how such a large and succesfull company can show such incompetence in their webdesign

I'm one of their biggest fans, I spend more money there than at any other site
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
377 Posts
I am a Software Engineer. This is the typical "RAWR CHANGE IS SCARY/BAD" crap I have to deal with.

Tower needed a refresh. The 90's called and took back their layout.
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:13 PM
Upstate New York
Joined Mar 2005
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btown2 View Post
I am a Software Engineer. This is the typical "RAWR CHANGE IS SCARY/BAD" crap I have to deal with.

Tower needed a refresh. The 90's called and took back their layout.
Ah yes,,,form over function
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:13 AM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nederland View Post
Now electric motors are a sub group of engines and accessories (!??)
And how you get to Speedcontrollers for instance, I haven't been able to figure out yet.:
Pretty simple, type "ESC" or "speed control" in the search box. Not too complicted. Same trick works for pretty much any other item they carry too. Granted, their classification as "Radio Speed Controls" is a bit strange.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Last edited by Lardog; Oct 24, 2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:04 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,923 Posts
I didn't even know there was an electric sub category, I've always gone to the engines section to look at their electric motors. Speed controllers are under radio accessories as lardog hinted... I can see how they arrived on the category since it kind of replaces the throttle servo, but yeah it would be good to at least crosslink to the engines and accessories category.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Last edited by ChillPhatCat; Oct 24, 2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:47 AM
Parkzone collector supreme
Egypt, Cairo Governorate, Cairo
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Tower Hobbies is a big ol joke. Why would anyone buy from them? Hobby king is way better, even Horizon (which makes original stuff) is better.
Abdul Ghafur is offline Find More Posts by Abdul Ghafur
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:59 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
Joined Oct 2008
3,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul Ghafur View Post
Tower Hobbies is a big ol joke. Why would anyone buy from them? Hobby king is way better, even Horizon (which makes original stuff) is better.
Seriously?

Tower is stateside and they offer a lot of the higher quality brands such as Castle Creations. Hobby king has very little in the way of items that they don't manufacture. I can see a comparisonm to Horizon... but not Hobby King. And, it's not like Great Planes products are made in the same factory as HK products otherwise you would see copies of their planes on HK. Also, HK's customer support is non-existant.

There are so many things wrong with trying to compare them to Hobby King.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:00 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,737 Posts
Amazing, Mr. Ghafur. After less than a month and 9 posts, you have already determined the value of hobby merchandising. I wish I had your steel-trap mind.

Oh, wait. No, I don't

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:02 AM
Parkzone collector supreme
Egypt, Cairo Governorate, Cairo
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
Seriously?

Tower is stateside and they offer a lot of the higher quality brands like Castle Creations. Hobby king has very little in the way of items that they don't manufacture. I can see a comparisonm to Horizon... but not Hobby King. And, it's not like Great Planes products are made in the same factory as Hobby King products otherwise you would see copies of their planes on Hobby King.

There are so many things wrong with trying to compare them to Hobby King...
Why not?

I find Hobby King products superior, my ESC's are better or equal to my CC ESC's. I have had CC's fail too. Hobby King is much more successful than Tower Hobbies, even though it is a more recent business.

Stateside? All products (including Horizon) are made in China. No cost savings, not even shipping. Across the ocean shipping does not disappear just because you buy from a warehouse in USA. Hobby King has most products in a USA warehouse now any how.

To each his own.
Abdul Ghafur is offline Find More Posts by Abdul Ghafur
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:10 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
Joined Oct 2008
3,923 Posts
No offense, but you're not living in our country so you can't really comment on shipping from a US based business to US based addresses. Most of my orders to Tower come to me within 3 days and if an item is backordered I can easily cancel the order and take out the items that were backordered, and even if you order a backordered item the ones that aren't are shipped. Most items stay in stock though, so backorders are not very common. No Hobby King order has ever reached me in less than 2 weeks.

Castle makes a better product, there's no disputing it... they have a proven track record. Anectdotal evidence is useless. Yeah they cost 10x as much, and most of the time I will run a Turnigy/mystery speed controller for my cheap sport planes... If I buy two, one is guaranteed to work. CC is undoubtedly the way to go for expensive high powered applications.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:11 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,737 Posts
My dealer can beat up YOUR dealer.... ;+}>>
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:15 AM
Serenity Now!
O'Fallon, MO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nederland View Post
Is it just me me or is anybody else noticing that Tower Hobbies doesn't have a
Electric flight section anymore on their" new and improved" site.
I used to buy a lot of crap from them,,,,,,maybe not no more.
Tower was never a stop for electric flight items for me. It was when I flew glow but they have always been behind the power curve when it comes to electrics.
jbrundt is offline Find More Posts by jbrundt