HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:43 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,658 Posts
Since Old Water Bucket has stopped working on his 63 I'll switch to watching this one. Seems that Confused really isn't judging from the great start he's made. You made a good decision to get the MACK setup for your power. You won't be dissapointed. As for the fittings set is it a newly made set or an old set that you purchased? Wondering if somebody had started to make the set again which would be great for the 63 fans. Building the boat from scratch isn't as difficult as making all those fittings.
Anyway it's great to see another 63 on the ways and as soon as it goes in the water for sea trials we can add your name and the boat to the illustrious list of 63 builders if you won't mind. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,743 Posts
I have been having strange stirrings about getting my old 63 foot motor yacht down from the top of the book case, dusting it off, and doing a partial refurb including changing outmoded RC and power system stuff, and refinishing the hull, etc. etc. I also have an unbuilt kit with fittings, in the shed, that I should peddle.

The 63' FMY is a grand sight on the pond especially at dusk with cabin and deck lights on and 50's music playing.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:19 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,504 Posts
That looks like a Very nice old model ...

Looks like the TV is ON !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:50 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,658 Posts
I remember that boat with the cool animations on board. By all means get it down and cleaned up at least. Then yu'll have to go run it in the water and you can take a neat video and post it for us. Sounds good to me. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:50 AM
Cambridge, England
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
Thanks Pete.
Still waiting for MACK power package to arrive. Even before Sandy it took 9 days to get from Long Branch NJ to New York and now is still sitting in UK customs. Hope to see it soon.
Fittings set (see attached pics) were made new by Gary Barnes (www.garysboatyard.com) and cost $85. An idulgence but worth it as I could never have made them all from scratch.
Currently just finishing skinning and planking the hull and will post something on that messy experience shortly.
Meanwhile, thanks for wanting to add me to the list of 63-footers. May be a long time before sea trials but hopefully next Spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
Since Old Water Bucket has stopped working on his 63 I'll switch to watching this one. Seems that Confused really isn't judging from the great start he's made. You made a good decision to get the MACK setup for your power. You won't be dissapointed. As for the fittings set is it a newly made set or an old set that you purchased? Wondering if somebody had started to make the set again which would be great for the 63 fans. Building the boat from scratch isn't as difficult as making all those fittings.
Anyway it's great to see another 63 on the ways and as soon as it goes in the water for sea trials we can add your name and the boat to the illustrious list of 63 builders if you won't mind. Pete
confused UK is offline Find More Posts by confused UK
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:54 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,504 Posts
Those fittings look great !

A question, Gary's site shows these fittings are pewter, how is it they have this gold/brassy color ?

Tim.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:55 AM
Cambridge, England
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
I've seen your 63' somewhere before - Google Images? and marvelled at your figures and 'home comforts' on deck. Did you make these or were they bought? I haven't even started looking for 1/20 scale figures. Do they exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
I have been having strange stirrings about getting my old 63 foot motor yacht down from the top of the book case, dusting it off, and doing a partial refurb including changing outmoded RC and power system stuff, and refinishing the hull, etc. etc. I also have an unbuilt kit with fittings, in the shed, that I should peddle.

The 63' FMY is a grand sight on the pond especially at dusk with cabin and deck lights on and 50's music playing.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:00 PM
Cambridge, England
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
They are just silver. I think it's our halogen downlighters that give the goldy impression in my photo. The pic of the whole set is truer to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Those fittings look great !

A question, Gary's site shows these fittings are pewter, how is it they have this gold/brassy color ?

Tim.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:27 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,504 Posts
?

Hello all, in the top of this pic. on the right, there are 30 or so little rectangular pieces, each with a hole ...

What are these for ?
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:34 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,833 Posts
Stanchion bases perhaps?
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:49 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,658 Posts
Yes they are the bases for the stanchions that go on the deck along both sides of the boat. The stanchions or the poles that hold the railings up are inserted into these bases and holes drilled under the railings but not all the way through.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:50 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,504 Posts
Thank You Sir !
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:00 PM
P31
United States, WA, Spanaway
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused UK View Post
They are just silver. I think it's our halogen downlighters that give the goldy impression in my photo. The pic of the whole set is truer to life.
Tim how long did it take you to receive your fitting"s from Gary. He does'nt answer my Email, and I ordered a week ago. I am only about 700 miles from him
Gary
P31 is offline Find More Posts by P31
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:26 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,504 Posts
The post office is using donkeys now in some regions, may be a bit slow.

No emailo respondo ?

Maybe he is out of town ( Vegas ) and cant respond ?
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:28 PM
P31
United States, WA, Spanaway
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
Maybe today
P31 is offline Find More Posts by P31