HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:03 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
How are the s33 flights going guys?? I'm now wondering whether my parts will arrive to do the 9118 pcb- s033g 2.4 conversion in time for my hols! I'm off to OZ for 10weeks and wanted to take the s033g along to use in the sunshine.My thoughts are, if your s33's are coming up trumps then maybe I'll order one to be delivered there. Are you allowed to take lipos with you on planes?
I've had 4 more flights with my S33. Two flights where flawless. One flight had one glitch and the heli dropped a few feet and then regained power but when the battery got low the power cut totally and she fell from the sky. On one other flight I had 3-4 glitches where she dropped a few feet but recovered, that flight was with an older (same volt and Amp) battery from an old Double Horse I had.

I am wondering if it could have anything to do with the batteries and also wondering if the larger tail rotor draws more amps and causes the momentary power loss?

I am afraid to fly anywhere except over grassy fields in case of a crash landing.
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:09 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
What the difference between 20c, 30c, 40c for batteries if all 3 are the same Voltage and same mAh ??
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:31 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
dwtraic23,
The higher the c rating, The higher the amperage that can be supported by the battery. They will also hold the rated voltage of the battery longer.

The stock batteries that come with the S033G and the S33 are probably in the 10 to 12c rating.

I use aftermarket batteries that have a 20c rating and 18oomAh. Some of the guys are using batteries in the 30c and 2200mAh range.

I've never had a glitch on the S33 with the 2.4Ghz system. I now have 24 flights on it without any problems.

You could also have a faulty radio system. It's not unheard of, even in hobby grade radios.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:00 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Thanks Jim Lee,
I don't think its the radio because i had the same issue with s033g and s33 with two different radios. i am guessing its a battery issue and that the larger tail prop draws more current wich drops the voltage and may be causing power loss. It seems to happen more often when i am flying more agressivley.I may try getting a 30c battery and see how that works. Trial and error.

Did you have the same problems with your S033G if so, what batteries did you use?

Also. If I buy a 7.4V 1600mAh 30c battery can i charge it with the charger that comes with the S033, providing I switch the connecters or do I have to buy another charger?
Last edited by dwtriac23; Nov 17, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:07 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
dwtriac23,

I was using the Zippy 7.4v 20c 1800mAh lipo in the S033G. The Only problem I had was the infamous Signal loss, And it would happen at any time and any distance. I decided to quit flying it before I completely destroyed it. I'm waiting to see if drambuidhe can get the DH9118 pcb working in his Syma S033G. If he can then I'll see if I can get mine to work. I've tried it once and the same thing happened to mine as his. It burned up the diode in the motor.

The larger tail rotor blades that we are using, Will pull more amperage as it will load the motor more. I do suspect that you are right and It's the battery going to low voltage and then the signal to the rx starts to get spotty. or as it's more widely known "Brown Out"

I think that using the higher c rated battery will help you, But the only way to find out is to try it. If you have elimated the radio as the cause, Then the battery would be the thing to upgrade.

I've flown the S33 24 times now without a glitch or signal loss of any kind. I limit my flights to 6 min and at 5 min I start getting it set up to land, I want to stay within the 80% depletion rate of my batteries. My flying is confined to inside now, As we're having wind and rain for the next several days.

I hope you get the problem with the S33 solved, It's like flying the S033G, Only with a better radio

J
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:21 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
819 Posts
Hi guys, this signal glitching bug is a stubborn little bas---d isn't it? If I recall my first few goes with my 33g it had the bug on the standard 1500mah battery and on the original tail blade. I did have some footage of it hovering at around 50' with no tail motor use and just deciding to drop like a stone! At this time I also did have the aerial lead hanging down too. I'd saw mine improved greatly when I soldered on 4mm gold bullet connectors to take the bigger batteries I bought. I searched online for the highest mah batteries I could find that were as close to the original battery weight as possible and have 3 now I use. 1x turnigy 2200 @ 109g 1x4-max 2200mah @ 109g and a chinese cheapy called aVP which is 2250mah 25c which surprizingly is the lightest@ 102g.You would'nt be able to tell which ones in use since they all perform the same .(around 8-10mins ) My aerial lead dangles down through a hole drilled through the very front of the canopy to keep it away from the pcb/motors etc but thats where my batteries are velcrode on . If I stick'em on very far forward on a windy day and they touch the lead I seem to get more glitches then. Would'nt you have thought some expert electonics boffin would have answered this issue by now once and for all hey?p.s since I haven't been able to fly for a while I've made some experimental floats for the heli. They support it easily and weigh only 97g all in! When Its flying again I'll see if it can lift them ok or not!!
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:55 AM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
drambuidhe,
when you get your floats working, post some pictuers. I'ld be interested in seeing them.

I ordered a Sky Lipo 7.4v 1600mAh 30c from Xheli, see if that helps. Trial and error.

I remember running the arial/antenna on my S033g along the tail boom and the helicopter wouldn't even work. The lights came on but nothing else would work until I moved the antenna back to original or hanging. Finicky electronics.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Oct 2012
819 Posts
s033g

Yes hi dwtriac 23, will do. Although these floats are light they offer lots of windage so they'll only go on on calm days.Still It'll add some more interest to my flying. At least now if I crash over water I won't have to go diving again!!As regards our glitching gremlins, if and when you get them , is it early on or later on in your flight? Mine always comes on in first half if at all but never(from memory) in the second half--wierd! I'm sure its not outside interferance since I live in a remote area and my other helis on 27mhz don't seem to suffer.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:07 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Hi,sorry I'm pretty computer clueless as regards links?? But I'm sure if you just google Skyking tailrotor It'll pop up. If you read my s033g-9118 pcb post, you'll see I was advised to remove the ceramic disc from the motor and solder on standard noise suppressors instead. I unsoldered some from an old boat motor and put them on and the motors now as good as new so you won't have to buy new ones.I can get an s33 pcb and transmitter from a Chinese site for $55 or the heli for $125.Whats your advice here? I'll have to wait and see if the 9118 pcb smokes or not first ,if it does I have to decide then.Are the s033g and s33 exactly the same performance wise do you think?Cheers
Hi drambuidhe, I just found this post.
I'll see if I can find the Skyking tailrotor on line.
I decided to go ahead and order new motors as they're fairly inexpensive.
When xHeli had the S33 in stock they were selling for 46 dollars plus shipping.
I don't know what it would cost to ship one internationally. I may be that the S33 pcb and Tx would be the best deal, But that is supposing that the wiring is the same on the S33 as it is on the S033G Or you could run into the same problem as trying to use the DH9118 pcb.

I'm adding photos of the S33 pcb and the S033G pcb.

J
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:26 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
drambuidhe, Is this the Skyking tailrotor that you used? It's the only one that came up when I did a online search.

J
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:55 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Yes hi dwtriac 23, will do. Although these floats are light they offer lots of windage so they'll only go on on calm days.Still It'll add some more interest to my flying. At least now if I crash over water I won't have to go diving again!!As regards our glitching gremlins, if and when you get them , is it early on or later on in your flight? Mine always comes on in first half if at all but never(from memory) in the second half--wierd! I'm sure its not outside interferance since I live in a remote area and my other helis on 27mhz don't seem to suffer.
It happens at different times during the flight and also don't think it's cause of interference cause i fly at different locations. I am starting to notice that with my S33 it is happening when I use an older battery from helicopter I used to have (DH9100). See what happens when i get my new Sky Lipo battery.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:54 AM
Joined Oct 2012
819 Posts
tail rotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
drambuidhe, Is this the Skyking tailrotor that you used? It's the only one that came up when I did a online search.

J
Yes thats the one Jim.Thanks for the photo's,interesting to see their differences. Can't believe you could get an s33 for $46 !! that would get you little more than an S107 over here!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:56 AM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Yes thats the one Jim.Thanks for the photo's,interesting to see their differences. Can't believe you could get an s33 for $46 !! that would get you little more than an S107 over here!
Thanks drambuidhe, Ill get some ordered. I couldn't believe that they were selling the S33 for that price either, Especially after I priced the S33 at another online seller and they were pricing it at 199 dollars. If you watch the sale ads here, you can find a S107 for as low as 15 to 16 dollars, if you're not picky about what color you get.

There are already some good deals going on because of black friday, I'm betting that they get even better later in the week. Then on black friday, It's best to do your shopping online, It could be hazardous to your health to venture out among the shoppers.

J
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:28 AM
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
Hi every one
Just got in flying helis, I got the s017g, s026 very happy with both. (Just got them 3 days ago) Flying them 4 -5 times a day or more.Today took them outdoors. No problems. No wind.
My question is, Whats up with Yiboo helis? I can not find anything about them. Nothing. I have the "30" Yiboo uj300 and Just got the Yiboo Avasta uj4805 and haven't had no problems yet.(Knock on wood). Plus only been flying now for three days. Anyone out there have some? Would like to here from someone who has or had them, be it good or bad.
Thanks
fishandflying is offline Find More Posts by fishandflying
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:41 AM
Joined Sep 2012
42 Posts
did syma s33 2.4ghz have function of fixed point hovering
shivambansal is offline Find More Posts by shivambansal