HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:45 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtriac23 View Post
I have a Syma S033G and like it alot cause it flies very smooth has good control and is built strong compaired to some other brands. I had to do some mods to get better range and faster foward speed but still have issues with it sometimes loosing signal even at close range. Syma (symatoys.com) has a new version of the S033G that is 2.4Ghz. the "S33G". I am hoping that the 2.4g will resolve the signal loss issues. Xheli now carries this bird but it is called the "S33". I just ordered one and will keep you posted. I expect I will have to do some of the same mods I did on the S033G for better foward speed.
My bad...it is "S33" not "S33G"
Well, two more flights with my new S33 and I had 5-6 glitches where the power cut just for a second and the heli dropped a few feet but I was able to save it because the power came back. A couple times I thought it was because it was getting out of range but a few times it happened fairly close (about 50ft away). One time the power completely stopped and the heli came crashing to the ground from about 20 ft high but that was after I noticed the battery starting to get low so it may have been because of that. I am REALLY starting to lose my faith in all of Symas products, grrrr.
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:27 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtriac23 View Post
I have a Syma S033G and like it alot cause it flies very smooth has good control and is built strong compaired to some other brands. I had to do some mods to get better range and faster foward speed but still have issues with it sometimes loosing signal even at close range. Syma (symatoys.com) has a new version of the S033G that is 2.4Ghz. the "S33G". I am hoping that the 2.4g will resolve the signal loss issues. Xheli now carries this bird but it is called the "S33". I just ordered one and will keep you posted. I expect I will have to do some of the same mods I did on the S033G for better foward speed.
My bad...it is "S33" not "S33G"
Does anyone have a Double Horse 9118? I am wondering how it flies and if it has any problems with signal loss like the Syma S033G??
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:33 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
642 Posts
signal glitch

Oh no! I didn't expect to hear that. To have a s033g or similiar with guaranteed signal is all we ask for.It wouldn't surprise me to hear the 9118's the same although I hope not since I've invested a few quid now to try and solve this issue.I was hoping you'd say it was perfect and have greater range. I think I read somewhere that the x350 on 2.4ghz has a 1000' range so hoped we'd get somewhere near that.Fingers crossed it was a one off
drambuidhe is online now Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:15 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
dwtriac23 said,
Does anyone have a Double Horse 9118? I am wondering how it flies and if it has any problems with signal loss like the Syma S033G??

I've completed the mods on my DH9118 and have ten flights on it so far with out any signal fade or loss. I did have a blade wrack even tho I did the reverse lower blade mod. I was flying in a 3 to 4 mph breeze and turned into the wind with too much speed and down she went. No damage, But now that I've learned the limitations, I'll be more gentle on the sticks.

I did have one episode with it. I was flying along about five or six feet off of the ground and it started wobbling, then the balance bar flew off and to the ground it went. No damage. but I didn't think that the pin in the fly bar would ever come out on it's own. I found some wire of the correct diameter and used collors with set screws to hold it on. I filed some flats in the wire and lock-tited the set screws. Now is should stay on, Until I want to take it off. So far all is good.

J

My Syma S33 is supposed to be here Thursday, So I'll do the tail rotor mod and the battery mod and try to get some flight time on it. If the 2.4Ghz radio system behaves like yours. I have no doubt that I won't be buying and more large heli's from Syma.
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:21 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
642 Posts
It's good to hear that you've had no signal issues, maybe there's hope for my 9118 -s033g 2.4 conversion yet! All I want Is a heli that can do three things- not have blade strikes, reasonable wind ability, and NO signal drops. Then I can fly over all the water around here. COME ON POSTIE!!
drambuidhe is online now Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:32 AM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
drambuidhe, i agree with the 3 things you want for your heli. Keep us posted on how your conversion works out. i wont be doing any more flights with my S33 for a couple days, we have a big wind storm coming through
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:58 AM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
It's good to hear that you've had no signal issues, maybe there's hope for my 9118 -s033g 2.4 conversion yet! All I want Is a heli that can do three things- not have blade strikes, reasonable wind ability, and NO signal drops. Then I can fly over all the water around here. COME ON POSTIE!!
Yes, That is the top three in my want list also, I thought I had that with my S033G, and I do have two out of the three, But the most important one is lacking, SOLID RADIO LINK. I've put the S033G on the shelf and am awaiting the arrival of my DH9118 pcb also. Hopefully, That conversion will be the answer to the Radio Link Problem.

It's a beautiful day, here in the NorthWest, So I'll probably get some more time on the DH9118. Hopefully, It will continue to go well.

The S33 is supposed to be here tomorrow, And now after hearing dwtriac23's experience with the signal fades, I'm not as happy of a camper as I was about getting it.

J
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:02 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
drambuide,
I received the S33 today and flew it in the garage. Everything checked out ok and only required a click or two of trim to get it to hold a steady hover. The Tx is on the small side, But on the LCD screen it shows quite a bit of information. Shows Tx Battery Charge state, Signal Strength, trim tabs, throttle position, left and right and backwards and forwards. I did the mods on the S33 today and if it's nice again tomorrow, I'll give it it's maiden flight and see if there's any glitching or range problems.

I got to fly the DH9118 today and since the wind was almost calm, I decided to see what kind of range I could expect. I had it out over 150ft and the radio link was 100% solid. I would have taken it out farther, But my depth perception on that small of a Heli isn't that good and I didn't want to take a chance of putting it in a big pine tree. I'm kind of amazed, because the Rx doesn't have a antenna.(anyway I haven't found one)

The Rx on the S33 does have a antenna, Go figure.

After viewing a video on the DH9116 which has a printed antenna, I'm guessing that the DH9118 also has a printed Antenna.

J
Last edited by Jim Lee; Nov 07, 2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Added new text
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
42 Posts
when i try to open xheli.com it open the google page
shivambansal is offline Find More Posts by shivambansal
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Sep 2012
42 Posts
when i try to open xheli.com it opens google
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Sep 2012
42 Posts
and i want to check the shipping of syma s33 2.4ghz to india haryana kurukshetra my pin=136118
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:10 AM
Joined Sep 2012
42 Posts
if anybody tell me what to do to start xheli.com so tell me fast
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:41 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
I got all the mods done on the S33, and managed to get 8 flights in today. The 2.4Ghz radio has been 100% solid. Had a couple of flights where the wind was kicking up a little. The S33 picks up a lot of speed when flying downdwind. This version is what the S033G should be and would be if it had a 2.4Ghz radio system.

All in all, I'm very happy with the performance of my S33. If I can convert the S033G to 2.4Ghz, Then, I'll be very happy to have two great flying Heli's by Syma.

J
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:42 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
I got all the mods done on the S33, and managed to get 8 flights in today. The 2.4Ghz radio has been 100% solid. Had a couple of flights where the wind was kicking up a little. The S33 picks up a lot of speed when flying downdwind. This version is what the S033G should be and would be if it had a 2.4Ghz radio system.

All in all, I'm very happy with the performance of my S33. If I can convert the S033G to 2.4Ghz, Then, I'll be very happy to have two great flying Heli's by Syma.

J
it takes about 2hrs to charge the battery yet u got in 8 flights, wow. I am happy yours is working so well. I am anxious to get in some more flights to see how mine works. Keep us posted on how your conversion goes!!
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:41 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
dwtriac23,

One of the mods that I made was to the battery tray, I'm using a Zippy 7.4v 20c 1800mAh Lipo. I have 2 Hyperion Duo 2 and 3 Chargers and they can both charge two batteries at a time. I have eight Zippy batteries. It only takes about 40 min to charge a battery from the storage charge.

I'm using these batteries on the S33, The DH9118 and when, or if I get the S033G changed over to 2.4Ghz, I use them with it too. I set my timer (it's a little portable one that I have velcroed, so I can change it from Tx to Tx) for six min flight's. I don't want to use more than 80% of the rated mAh of the battery.

I was using my temp probe to measure the heat in the motors, and the S33 temps were below 100 degrees, while the DH9118 motors were above 100 degrees. The front motor runs about 10 to 14 degrees hotter than the rear motor. The DH9118 motors don't have heat sinks and the motors are arranged differently then the motors on the S33. I cut a cooling hole in the front of the canopy on the DH9118, but it only lowered the motor temps about two to three degrees.

I have the S33 trimmed and balanced perfectly, I had to add 3/4 Ozs of nose weight to get the balance that I wanted. It no longer wants to fly backward when there's no input on the sticks

Have you got to fly your S33 anymore since you noticed that the radio was glitching? If so, Is it still doing it?

Mine has been rock solid so far and that makes it a real joy to fly.

J