HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:31 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
798 Posts
signal drop

mine was very bad at first but I fitted gold bullet connectors to enable the use of 2200mah batterys and it seemed so much better after that, WEIRD!! I'm impatiently waiting for the 2.4mhz kit to arrive and see if that cures it, though I bet being budget stuff they'll be some probs! Also It seems my keyfob camera can effect signal if I locate it too near the aerial, or maybe thats a coincidence?
drambuidhe is online now Find More Posts by drambuidhe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
Since I have the S033G, I thought I might also get the new S33G. I checked several online dealers that carry the new S33G and Man, What a price discrepancy. I realize that we live in a society that embraces capitalism, But a price difference of over a Hundred dollars is a bit much.

I won't buy from either dealer as one is too high in price and the other I've had bad luck with in the past. Maybe after the S33G has been out for awhile, It'll be available from more dealeres.

I made all the mods to my S033G and until I replaced the AA tx battereies with a 7.4v lipo, I had signal drops. After the Tx battery mod I haven't had any. (knock on wood)

I'm waiting until the S33G has been out for awhile and some flights logged, Then if there isn't a bunch of mods that has to be made to it......... Altho if the only difference between the S033G and the S33G is the tx Freq, then It'll probably need all the other mods that were needed for the S033G, So that it can fly in a light breeze.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Mar 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
Forgot my main question! what size heli is the s033g considered to be? ie- 300,450,500 or what. They have asked reg the floats, thankyou
The S033G has a 555 mm (21.85 in.) main rotor diameter. It uses main rotor blades the same size as the DH 9053 and I think the same as the S031. The DH 9053 has a main rotor diameter of 535 mm. The difference is in the blade grips being longer on the S033G. As far as a reference goes it seems that most 450s have a main rotor diameter of around 28 inches. The Blade 300X is advertised as having a main rotor diameter of 550 mm (21.7 in) so I would be more inclined to call it a 300, however the tail boom is longer and the frame / fuselage is larger than the 300X. On the other hand, my S033G weighs in at 663 grams with the 2 cell battery. That's about 100 grams lighter than the Blade 450 and around 160 grams heavier than a Blade 300. For floats you may want to go with 450 size.

Good Luck!
slowone096 is offline Find More Posts by slowone096
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:39 PM
Tuguegarao City Philippines
Joined Sep 2012
375 Posts
since you've done all the mods on your s033g, it would be wiser to buy only the 2.4GHz tx and rx of the s33g.
xtian3188 is offline Find More Posts by xtian3188
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:31 AM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
xtian3188,
Yes, That would be an option, Depending on the price. Usually the 2.4Ghz Tx and Rx are the major cost of the Heli. It might be cheaper to buy the whole S33G and use it for parts or just do the tail rotor and Heli battery mod so it will fly outside in a light breeze.

J
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Oct 2012
798 Posts
s033g on 2.4

Thanks for your help guys! I was told by dealers selling helimax floats that the 450 floats would be too big and heavy for an s033g ,so am going to try and make some as soon as I have the time. As for 2.4 talk, my dh9118 2.4ghz pcb arrived today from China and I have a few questions for you experts. There is no aerial attached to the board not even a short whisker aerial. However if you read the bumpf online about the 9118, it says it has a conventional reciever aerial which you can cut shorter?? Also the battery leads seem thinner so I'm worried they may get hot or not carry enough current for the s033g motors.It seems the 9118 has the same motors so I assume it will cope.The board fit into the s033g ok and all the sockets seem to match up for motors,lights etc. I'll solder on the bullet connectors tomorrow and see if she works! The lack of an aerial is the main puzzle.I'm really hoping this will the fix for the s033g signal drops and hope the range is still as good.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
Since I have the S033G, I thought I might also get the new S33G. I checked several online dealers that carry the new S33G and Man, What a price discrepancy. I realize that we live in a society that embraces capitalism, But a price difference of over a Hundred dollars is a bit much.

I won't buy from either dealer as one is too high in price and the other I've had bad luck with in the past. Maybe after the S33G has been out for awhile, It'll be available from more dealeres.

I made all the mods to my S033G and until I replaced the AA tx battereies with a 7.4v lipo, I had signal drops. After the Tx battery mod I haven't had any. (knock on wood)

I'm waiting until the S33G has been out for awhile and some flights logged, Then if there isn't a bunch of mods that has to be made to it......... Altho if the only difference between the S033G and the S33G is the tx Freq, then It'll probably need all the other mods that were needed for the S033G, So that it can fly in a light breeze.

J
xheli.com has the new S33 for $50
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:48 AM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
I was able to get some more flight time on the S033G and by putting a 7.4v Battery and a longer Ant (one I had from a 27MHz 4ch Tx) and thought that I had solved the signal drop-out problem. No joy there. It went in from about 10ft high and it was only about 20' from me. It was about five minutes into the flight, Now I'm wondering if the Heli Battery was out of juice. I was flying in a light breeze and with the larger tail rotor mod, I was probably pulling more amps. I was so s***ed I forgot to check the voltage before I charged the battery. I have some larger (higher mAh) batteries ordered, So will try one of them and see if that cures the problem.

dwtriac23, As to xheli.com. Their price for the S33G is great, But I'm kind of leary of ordering from them as I've had problems with one of their sister companys in the past. I would hate for History to re-pete it's self. It probably wouldn't, But I'm not sure I want to take the chance. I'm going to have to think about it some more.

I'm really getting tired of a nice flying Heli crashing because of a obsolete radio system. I really would like to get the updated version with the 2.4GHz radio.

My other Heli's are 2.4GHz, Or indoor only infrared type Tx's.

J
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:21 AM
Joined Oct 2012
798 Posts
s033g

HI, I copied your aerial arrangement and it would'nt even get off the ground! wierd hey!So back to the hanging down job again which isn't so tidy. I now have a 2.4 board and tranny from a dh 9118 to install and try. Hope this is the answer or I've wasted 30.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:30 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
drambuidhe,

I've got a DH9118 ordered and it should be here later this week, Let me know how your installation goes, and if it's not too much trouble, I'll transfer the radiio gear from the DH9118 to my S033.

J
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:04 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtriac23 View Post
I have a Syma S033G and like it alot cause it flies very smooth has good control and is built strong compaired to some other brands. I had to do some mods to get better range and faster foward speed but still have issues with it sometimes loosing signal even at close range. Syma (symatoys.com) has a new version of the S033G that is 2.4Ghz. the "S33G". I am hoping that the 2.4g will resolve the signal loss issues. Xheli now carries this bird but it is called the "S33". I just ordered one and will keep you posted. I expect I will have to do some of the same mods I did on the S033G for better foward speed.
My bad...it is "S33" not "S33G"
My new Syma S33 2.4Ghz arrived today. It appears to be almost identical to the SO33G with the exception of 2.4Ghz and seems to fly the same, very stable and not much forward speed. I flew it only once so far and it did not have any signal loss problems but it is too early to tell. I will be doing modifications to the tail rotor and weight distribution. One thing I noticed is that it did not have as much power as my SO33G. My So33G came with a 11.1 volt 1100 mAh battery and the new S33 came with a smaller 7.4 volt 1500 mAh battery. I am wondering if I will damage the electronics if I use the larger battery from the SO33G, any ideas?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Oct 2012
798 Posts
7.4v-11.1v?

This a question I'd like the answer to too! Mines a 7.4volt s033g and is a little under powered. I've wondered if you can get away with upping it to 11.1 but been too chicken to try it. I run an s031g which was 9.6v with no ill effects on 11.1 but the difference is smaller. I'll just be happy enough if I solve the poor signal issue then can trust it over water etc!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:05 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
If someone has both the 11.1v and 7.4v, they could look at the boards and if they both used the same components and motors,Then I wouldn't hesitate to try the higher voltage battery in the 7.4v S033G. The one thing that takes the joy out of the day, Is to see the magic smoke wafting out of the circuit board and, or, motors.

I modified the battery tray on my S033G today to mount the new batteries that I'm going to use. I can't try it out today as it's raining fairly steady and I don't feel like taking the cars out of the garage to try it. maybe tommorow if the rain lets up. I stayed with a 7.4v battery, But went up in mAh and they are also lipo's. I'm using a Zippy 2s 1800mAh lipo and there's only two grams weight difference. The Zippy weighs 96g and the stock battery weighs 94g according to my scale. The Zippy is longer, So it'll add a little more weight to the front of the Heli, Hopefully that is a good thing.

drambuidhe, Have you made any progress with changing out your radio in your S033G? My DH9118 is supposed to be here tomorrow. I was thinking about trying to swap radio systems if I can't solve the signal drop problems with the S033G.

I think that what I'm going to end up doing is to go ahead and buy the S33.

J
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:27 PM
Tuguegarao City Philippines
Joined Sep 2012
375 Posts
dwtriac23 please upload a video of your s33. i want to see it in action. others might be interested as well. TIA
xtian3188 is offline Find More Posts by xtian3188
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:50 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
From my experience with R/C cars I think going with a higher mAh will only give you increased running time, not increased power. Let me know is you notice more power.
I noticed today that they sell 2 different replacement part motors and circuit boards for the SO33G one is listed specifically for "2 cell version" That makes me fearfull to use an 11.1 volt battery in place of the original 7.4 volt.
Last edited by dwtriac23; Oct 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: added info