HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:59 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
New Product
SYMA S33g

I have a Syma S033G and like it alot cause it flies very smooth has good control and is built strong compaired to some other brands. I had to do some mods to get better range and faster foward speed but still have issues with it sometimes loosing signal even at close range. Syma (symatoys.com) has a new version of the S033G that is 2.4Ghz. the "S33G". I am hoping that the 2.4g will resolve the signal loss issues. Xheli now carries this bird but it is called the "S33". I just ordered one and will keep you posted. I expect I will have to do some of the same mods I did on the S033G for better foward speed.
My bad...it is "S33" not "S33G"
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
Last edited by dwtriac23; Oct 24, 2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: mistake
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:23 PM
Tuguegarao City Philippines
Joined Sep 2012
264 Posts
looking forward for it.
xtian3188 is offline Find More Posts by xtian3188
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:35 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
560 Posts
Hi, just back from an hours s033g flying and had the usual fun with the camera onboard. However, I had two complete signal drops ,one at least from 50' up .As usual it survived intact(amazingly) I too have carried out all the mods to help this but just occasionally she goes! I've ordered a pcb and transmitter from a DH 9118 on 2.4 and hope this cures it because I love this chopper apart from this problem. Not too keen on the look of the new one so hope the mod works and has the same long range
drambuidhe is online now Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:40 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
Hi, just back from an hours s033g flying and had the usual fun with the camera onboard. However, I had two complete signal drops ,one at least from 50' up .As usual it survived intact(amazingly) I too have carried out all the mods to help this but just occasionally she goes! I've ordered a pcb and transmitter from a DH 9118 on 2.4 and hope this cures it because I love this chopper apart from this problem. Not too keen on the look of the new one so hope the mod works and has the same long range
Thats a good idea, let me know how it works.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Oct 2012
560 Posts
sinking feeling!

Hi,yes I'll keep you posted although the parts are coming from China and not expected until early nov.Just hoping its still in one piece by then!! I'm ordering inflatable floats for it tomorrow since I 'm surrounded by water here. Thoughts are if I crash into water at least It won't sink! An s031 of mine (which does'nt cope with wind) blew out to sea with a keyfob camera on it! I tried to tack it back up wind , managed to hit a moored yachts mast and then sank!.I spent 40mins snorkelling in freezing coloured water and flukily found it. After a thorough bath in fresh water and a hairdrier job guess what! Its worked perfectly ever since. It took a lot of coaxing to get the totally flat battery to take a charge but its fine now and always well balanced. Didn't get the camera back though-shame!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
560 Posts
Forgot my main question! what size heli is the s033g considered to be? ie- 300,450,500 or what. They have asked reg the floats, thankyou
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:40 PM
Tuguegarao City Philippines
Joined Sep 2012
264 Posts
i think it is larger than 450 but smaller than 500. or in between.
xtian3188 is offline Find More Posts by xtian3188
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:29 AM
Joined Dec 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtriac23 View Post
I had to do some mods to get better range and faster foward speed but still have issues with it sometimes loosing signal even at close range. .......... I expect I will have to do some of the same mods I did on the S033G for better foward speed.
What are the mods you did to the tail rotor? I'm getting the same problem; no forward speed.
Nelatonin is offline Find More Posts by Nelatonin
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:20 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
For the outdoor foward speed and wind issues I removed the tail boom support arms and added an equal amount of weight to the nose of the helicopter. That improved the forward flight speed a little. I also replaced the tail rotor with one from the Double Horse 9101. It fits perfectly but I had to cut and reverse the wires going to the tail motor because the prop is angled opposite. That mod greatly improved the heli’s forward speed!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:28 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
I flew my S033G again today and had multiple signal drops. I am getting really tired of this problem. I hope the S33 does not have the same problem. I have heard of many people having this same problem. The company must be getting complaints about it but don't seem to be doing anything about it. I wrote to Syma and to a couple of companies that sell these heli's but they just keep selling them without any regard for the consumer.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:47 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
where do you get inflatable floats? that sounds cool
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Oct 2012
560 Posts
s033g on water

Quote:
where do you get inflatable floats? that sounds cool
when I phoned helimax they said their floats would be too big for the s033g so its a case of somehow making my own.Will keep you posted
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
560 Posts
Quote:
I flew my S033G again today and had multiple signal drops. I am getting really tired of this problem. I hope the S33 does not have the same problem. I have heard of many people having this same problem. The company must be getting complaints about it but don't seem to be doing anything about it. I wrote to Syma and to a couple of companies that sell these heli's but they just keep selling them without any regard for the consumer.
Mine will only be reliable if the aeriel hangs down from the very front of the canopy( have drilled a small hole) and with a small weight on the bottom. I've tried routing it all over but only this works for me. To start off, with the wire on the ground you have to stand right by it.Once airborn its fine . Do still get the odd glitch though wierdly its often when its quite close.I get good range mostly, often at least 75metres+(27mhz)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:48 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
I tried making floats before out of styrofoam and found it to be an inferior material (not enough buyancy) for that purpose. I think something inflatable is a better choice. Good luck.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:53 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
I tried running the antenna wire along the tail boom and the heli wouldn't even start. I have had the signal drops from close and far distances.