HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by 1987tc, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:06 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Discussion
Help me decide on a sport/parkflyer

I am looking at two different models for my next plane.
One is the E-Flite Taylorcraft 450.
And the other is the Mini Pulse xt.
I have had the Mini Pulse before and liked the way it flew.
The T craft I like the looks of but have not flown one.

Most of the time I fly at the airport in Holdenville where we hold the Dustbowl Fly In for MS.
So either would be fine there.
But I also have access to 14 acres of open land at a friends place. Part of that is mowed.
My question is which it better off grass? Or is there something better? One hitch in the giddyup is that base and final on landing approaches is made over trees and his hanger.
Comments? Suggestions?
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:20 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,603 Posts
I've never had the Pulse but have had 3, 4? TC's. Never had to try it on grass. I doubt the factory tires would be grass friendly. I replaced factory with 1.75" Dubros and I'm not sure even those would work very well on grass. I guess it depends on type/length and how much power the bird has. One thing I would do is to run the 480 or equivilent in the TC. I use the Motrolfly 2215/1150 kv behind a 9x6 APC on a 3s/2200/25c and have a fair amount of power. FWIW, if you build the TC, you don't have to join the wings together. I've been flying mine as a two piece for a LONG time. Just add a second dowel in the front and an alignment pin near the trailing edge. Be sure to use the struts tho. HTH a little bit..

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:48 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I was figuring either plane I would be going with taller wheels. How is the slowflight of the Taylorcraft? At my friends place I have plenty of room for take off and climb out. But less for approach
I am debating also on how much motor I will use. I don't care about speed. But more power I know would be good for grass field ops. And of course helps with climb.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:09 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc View Post
I was figuring either plane I would be going with taller wheels. How is the slowflight of the Taylorcraft? At my friends place I have plenty of room for take off and climb out. But less for approach
I am debating also on how much motor I will use. I don't care about speed. But more power I know would be good for grass field ops. And of course helps with climb.
The slow flight is more like a fast jogging pace. It's been so long I haven't had any wind blowing it's hard to remember. Keep a lower pitched prop for power & slower speeds. 9x6, 10x6 Power off and the drag will help the slow down if you need to dive in to land and then keep some airspeed up to land. Look at this vid, starting around 3:47, to see the speed for landing and sorta/kinda slow flight. There's a huge thread here on the TC. It's only 292 pages. They sure are pretty doing a slow fly-by about 10' up.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748841
If I remember right, the Eflite 450 motor will windmill with power off, not sure about the 480 since I never owned one. IF you get a TC, you should trim the battery hatch a tad on the backside to let a 2200 pack slide in. Hard landings will spread the LG & crack the paint. Reinforce the LG framing a little bit and triple check/reglue all glued areas in the front. CA or Gorilla glue. Some of these are lacking due to drying out/shipping/storage. HTH..

Dan
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:21 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I have been reading the thread. And I have wondered as I said about off grass. I also wanted to ask how is battery access?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:30 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,603 Posts
Here's what most did to allow install of a 3s 2100/2200 size pack. This isn't 'required' but makes it much easier to slide the packs in. I have no idea how people are running smaller packs and getting CG. My 2170's & 2200's set as far forward as possible and CG is spot on. They bump up against the interior framing. My ESC isn't secured anywhere, I just let it flop around and have never had an issue. Because it's loose, it takes 2 seconds to hook up/unhook. There's no fighting the connectors.
I also run HS-65's thru out. Never had a failure like the HS-55's did. You can also see where the paint is cracked on the LG due to a hard landing.

My power/prop setup works perfect and isn't under/over powered for my type of flying. I do some loops/rolls/stalls kind of stuff but that's about it. I've started practicing slipping the bird in for landings but it's not very pretty as of yet. About 1 in 20 look decent. The rest are scary. I can land on two wheels and go down the entire 400' of the runway on the main gear. I've actually run the tread completely off my Dubro tires. I probably fly this bird more then anything else because it's so docile and just plain pretty in the air. It will handle some wind but landings are touchy because the plane is so light. It does get bounced around in the air. I don't use any mixing nor flaperons even though I have them set up. I have plenty of glow/gas & other electrics if I want to hammer the air and just go nuts. I honestly don't know of anyone that doesn't love this bird if they own it.

Dan