HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
one thing i've learned is with tricycle geared planes they are going to pull one way or the other no matter how much adjusting you do! my apprentice pulls to the left. i've adjusted the clevis a hundred times. it'll pull to the left, a half turn of the clevis and it pulls to the right!

what i did was take the wing off, and taxi the plane around. this way it won't try and fly, i can drive it around like a car. it helped me get the feel of adding rudder inputs to make it taxi straight at slow and high speeds. once i got the "feel" of how the plane reacted on the ground, i installed the wing and taxi'd around at low speeds.

remember tho, whichever way the plane pulls when your taxing for takeoff, it'll pull the same way when you land.

i may be kinda geeky when it comes to preflight inspections and all, but i do them like i was going to be flying IN the plane. i check all control surfaces, check the gear, check everything that could come loose, check all the clevis's.

hang in there, it'll all "click" and everything will be golden.
Really, because my Parkzone T-28 Trojan taxis stright ahead for me, and it has trike gear.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
973 Posts
Until I read this thread I'd forgotton about my own debate as whether to hand launch (it is already in the air, so we are half way there!) or take off ground (to get the "feel" of the plane before it lifts off!).We have all been there, suddenly it will "click" and you will realise you are in control, on the ground and in the air.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Oct 2012
37 Posts
It's so nice to know I'm not the only one. : )

For a while there I was breaking at least one propeller per flying session. I actually bought a 12 pack because I got tired of paying for individual ones...

Fortunately I don't go through them quite as fast any more.
bloviationator is offline Find More Posts by bloviationator
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Oct 2012
185 Posts
two more fails! two broken props. trying to hand launch full throttle, rolls to the left right away straight to the ground. twice!
solodare is offline Find More Posts by solodare
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:46 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solodare View Post
two more fails! two broken props. trying to hand launch full throttle, rolls to the left right away straight to the ground. twice!
dont go full throttle if you have two straight back chairs set the nose on one and in front of tail on the other see if plane tips left or is close to balanced. Got two sonic 185 gliders and both had to have some weight added to one wing
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:28 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,614 Posts
Well, Killerplanes sells a crashproofed model of this so it must be a good-flying airplane to begin with. So a couple of pointers.

First, launch technique. You don't throw it like a baseball. You basically push the thing into the air. It's a lot like tossing a frisbee. The plane has to travel in a straight line all during the throw so the concept is that it is flying before it leaves your hand. If you were to release it with power off it would be moving quickly enough to glide to the ground. Get yourself a foam chuck glider from a dollar store and practice this. When you get it you'll know.

Now back to the Cessna. Same deal. Launch with about half throttle, straight forward and parallel with the ground. Watch for a half second after it leaves your hand. If you're not happy, just land the thing. If it's straight and level you can smoothly blend in more throttle to increase flying speed and assume a shallow climb. Even then you could be at only 2/3 throttle. Throttles are because there are more power settings than WFO!

Heck, you're flying now! Do what you want. But smooth and gentle throttle application rather than sudden full throttle, coupled with better launch technique at half throttle (adjust as circumstances warrant. I don't know how over/under powered this plane is) and leave yourself an escape path. If you're hopelessly out of shape, cut the motor and you have a great chance of saving the prop.

And have spare props available when you fly so breaking one doesn't end the day's attempted flying. Do this over tall grass and that will also save props.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Oct 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:50 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,477 Posts
Almost finished rebuilding the plane I augered last Sunday due to reversed elevator, this time the control surfaces will be checked triple checked and then looked over by a friend at the field prior to launch.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Oct 2012
185 Posts
Gave her another shot today at lunch, checked her out real well and did i few run ups. felt confident that i could keep her straight long enough to get her off the ground. so why not? she left my feet and and headed down the runway like an arrow. gave it a little elevator up and she picked up a few feet and BAM!

it happens so fast doesnt it....

when it came up it pulled left,.... maybe i jerked it back right,... maybe in the process i killed to much throttle, maybe i sholdnt have gave it up elevator.

when you dont have a pro watching, you just dont know what happened.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:15 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solodare View Post
Gave her another shot today at lunch, checked her out real well and did i few run ups. felt confident that i could keep her straight long enough to get her off the ground. so why not? she left my feet and and headed down the runway like an arrow. gave it a little elevator up and she picked up a few feet and BAM!

it happens so fast doesnt it....

when it came up it pulled left,.... maybe i jerked it back right,... maybe in the process i killed to much throttle, maybe i sholdnt have gave it up elevator.

when you dont have a pro watching, you just dont know what happened.
How do you mean 'BAM'. Not really all that much for us to go on.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Oct 2012
185 Posts
sorry,

BAM as in the sound it made when it stalled out and nosed in.
I hope thats enough info. to be honest it happen so fast i couldnt really tell you any more.
It was on the run, it lifted off maybe 2 or 3 feet and started to bank left, i tried to bring it back Over corrected. it banked right lost momentum and nosied in. Broke the prop as always bent the landing gear and snap the push rod conector of the steerable landing gear.
i could have made any number of errors in between that my mind isnt aware of.
This is my first 4ch.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Aug 2003
624 Posts
hi ,is that the fms one around 40 span rtf ?
mdugas is offline Find More Posts by mdugas
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:56 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,614 Posts
Sounds like you're trying to muscle her off the ground before she's flying. Don't make with the up elevator. Let the lift from the wing take her off the ground. Then keep the speed up as you gain altitude. Once you're up 100' or so you need to do some trial and terror to determine what speeds the plane needs to fly.

You're trying to take off without knowing what the flying speed of the plane is. That means you'll have to guess high. The wing and throttle make the plane take off, not the elevator. The elevator controls airspeed. Pull back and your already too low airspeed becomes even lower and BAM! (that's a technical aerodynamic term meaning "to auger in")
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:24 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Sounds like you're trying to muscle her off the ground before she's flying. Don't make with the up elevator. Let the lift from the wing take her off the ground. Then keep the speed up as you gain altitude. Once you're up 100' or so you need to do some trial and terror to determine what speeds the plane needs to fly.

You're trying to take off without knowing what the flying speed of the plane is. That means you'll have to guess high. The wing and throttle make the plane take off, not the elevator. The elevator controls airspeed. Pull back and your already too low airspeed becomes even lower and BAM! (that's a technical aerodynamic term meaning "to auger in")
This, that plane once enough speed is reached will lift off without giving elevator input.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Oct 2012
185 Posts
MDUGAS, This is the same plane, FMS
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:26 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London