HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Oct 2012
15 Posts
Discussion
Quadcopter Propeller Attachment

This is my first post on RC Groups, so hello everyone!

I'm currently in the late stages of building my first RC vehicle which is a small quadcopter. I'm using these motors and these propellers. First of all, the motors come with a few different attachments which are shown on the image of them and I'm unsure which of these I'll need and how I'll use them. Secondly, I've found that the shafts in those motors are actually too thick for the holes in the propellers. For one of my props I've tried to solve this by increasing the size of the hole with a dremel and now it'll fit onto the shaft, however there's no space for any of the attachments to fit.

I'm unsure what to do, so I'd appreciate some guidance from somebody more experienced in RC, thanks in advance!
SeanDuffy is offline Find More Posts by SeanDuffy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:15 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
996 Posts
Prop has to fit onto the spinner, then the spinner fits onto the motor shaft (spinner is the cone shaped thing) or use ali metal bit with 2 screws and o ring, ali metal part goes onto the motor shaft then hook the o ring on one screw over the prop and onto the other screw.
ripmax is online now Find More Posts by ripmax
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:03 AM
Joined Oct 2012
15 Posts
Ahh thanks, I think I gotcha! So I put the round metal thing with the two screws onto the motor shaft, and then put the prop on top of that and secure it in place by hooking that little rubber O over it onto the screws?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Oct 2012
127 Posts
Try just using the prop adapter (the one on the right). Undo the grub screw, push it onto the shaft, tighten the grub screw, take the top half of the prop adapter off, put prop on, screw back on the top of the prop adapter and then get a pin that can fit through the hole in the top of the prop adapter to tighten it even more.
ElectroDie is offline Find More Posts by ElectroDie
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Oct 2012
15 Posts
The shaft on the prop adapter is far too thick for the centre hole of the propeller so I can't get that on there, is there something else I should be using? Also if I try to use the little thing with the two screws sticking out (the thing on the left), there isn't actually enough vertical space on the prop shaft to fit both the prop and that thing.

EDIT: Here's some photos I took, they're a little blurry but I hope they help to illustrate the problem.

Here's the prop shaft being too short.

And here's me showing that the centre hole is too small for the adapter.
Last edited by SeanDuffy; Oct 24, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Sep 2012
351 Posts
The prop adaptor (little thing with two screws) looks to be on the motor correctly in your first picture.

Check out this video I think it may help
hcker2000 is offline Find More Posts by hcker2000
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:32 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
996 Posts
Here's a vid for the prop adaptor

Brushless 480 wood prop install (2 min 13 sec)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Oct 2012
15 Posts
I can't use the prop adapter with the dome on it because the shaft for it is far too thick to fit into the centre hole of my prop, so I tried using the prop savers. When I tried to take off, props just kept flying off. I think the problem is that since the centre hole of the props is small, the prop doesn't actually sit right on the prop saver like in that video, it only sits on the small part of the motor shaft poking out the top. I could try drilling the centre holes bigger but I think the props may break.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
996 Posts
The props must be fitted to the adaptors as shown in the videos, if they don't u need to either change adaptor size, prop, or drill the hole in the prop bigger so long as u don't overdo it.

Are u sure the props cannot just be press fitted onto the motor shaft? looks like u have the small quad from hobbyking and I am sure I have seen the props press fitted, do check first though as I have no experience with this and woud'nt want a prop to fly off and hurt u or someone.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Oct 2012
15 Posts
I'm able to get the prop to fit onto the motor shaft, but if I'm going to be using the prop adapter I need it to fit onto the shaft on that, don't I? Which isn't possible because this is much thicker than the motor shaft and I think drilling the hole that wide would cause the prop to fall apart. It is the small quad from hobbyking, am I going to have to buy different prop adapters or something?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:58 AM
pm1
Germany, BY, Gestratz
Joined Oct 2008
244 Posts
I have these props too...

The hole in the props is a bit smaller than the shaft of the motor. Try to carefully ream the hole a little wider, and press on the prop with some rotation, that it fits on the shaft firmly without any further adapter. Maybe use some cyan glue, if you reamed out too much.
pm1 is offline Find More Posts by pm1
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:33 AM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
960 Posts
Whatever you do don't use the prop saver adapters for a Quad use a secure collet type adapter (make sure it runs true on the motor shaft) and don't forget to balance the props.

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDuffy View Post
I'm able to get the prop to fit onto the motor shaft, but if I'm going to be using the prop adapter I need it to fit onto the shaft on that, don't I? Which isn't possible because this is much thicker than the motor shaft and I think drilling the hole that wide would cause the prop to fall apart. It is the small quad from hobbyking, am I going to have to buy different prop adapters or something?
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:13 AM
pm1
Germany, BY, Gestratz
Joined Oct 2008
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Seddon View Post
Whatever you do don't use the prop saver adapters for a Quad use a secure collet type adapter (make sure it runs true on the motor shaft) and don't forget to balance the props.

Peter
The props he is using cannot be used with collet type adapters, because the hub is only about 5 mm thick. But they are pretty effective. I am not convinced, that a collet type adapter is needed at AUW of about 150 g. my quad is absolutely fine since a long time with the prop saver ones.
Name: IOI.jpg
Views: 161
Size: 149.8 KB
Description:
pm1 is offline Find More Posts by pm1
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:23 AM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
960 Posts
My experience is that the prop rocks on the adapter due to compliance in the rubber ring and that plays havoc with the control system. Changing to collet type made all the difference in my case.

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm1 View Post
The props he is using cannot be used with collet type adapters, because the hub is only about 5 mm thick. But they are pretty effective. I am not convinced, that a collet type adapter is needed at AUW of about 150 g. my quad is absolutely fine since a long time with the prop saver ones.
Attachment 5261090
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon