HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:58 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokdl View Post
Very first modification.
Your boat is Looking well there my friend, it will take time, unless you have the keys to a bank
I am working on adding a little Smoke to my boat, this will a hard one to do.

You can get parts from

www.alwayshobbies.co.uk

www.battlecrafts.co.uk

and also www.ebay.co.uk .................when looking on ebay.co.uk just put in BOAT FITTINGS !!

Looking forward to seeing how you get along.

- Rolex.
rolex0071 is offline Find More Posts by rolex0071
Last edited by rolex0071; Feb 17, 2013 at 05:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:08 PM
Vintage RC buff
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Thanks very much. I'm very fond of her. Although the only boats I have now are mainly RTR toy grades, I enjoy adding detail and really enjoy working with them. The Sea Ray is fairly similar but I'm adding my own electrics to that one.

Plans are to get a much larger tug one day in the future. The smoke and engine sounds I LOVE on any boat and would love to have that as well, alas I don't have that kind of money atm I'll post some pictures of my sea ray in a bit. Thanks for the compliment on my vessel.

Excellent site by the way, looks like I won't have to use the guages I reduced!
tokdl is offline Find More Posts by tokdl
Last edited by tokdl; Feb 16, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:29 PM
Vintage RC buff
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
I've posted a few of these before so some may have seen them already. I have installed LEDs at the front, the cabin and rear passenger area.
Last edited by tokdl; Feb 16, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:39 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,434 Posts
Quote:
I've posted a few of these before so some may have seen them already. I have installed LEDs at the front, the cabin and rear passenger area.
Nice job on that boat, i think your going to like the Tug more after you start the mods on it. As said, i am still working on my one, and your right its takes a lot of money to do anything small to the Tug.

I have been playing this outstanding video on youtube for weeks to see if i can get any mods from it to do to my Tug Boat. Take a look its just excellent and must be the best video of tugs on youtube.

Dancing Tug Boats (4 min 31 sec)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:56 AM
Vintage RC buff
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Ah yes I remember this video well, one of my favorites on YouTube. When I become more familiar with the electrics I'd love for mine to be able to pivot like that! An outstanding video. Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:39 AM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,222 Posts
Nice to see that you can still squeeze out some fun on the job. Great video.
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:44 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops52 View Post
Nice to see that you can still squeeze out some fun on the job. Great video.
Hay Pops thanks for calling in, its always nice to see someone now and then doing this.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:58 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,434 Posts
A Talk on Smoke Units.

Here is a video showing some info on Smoke Units that are on the market and that can be use in model TUGS !.

Lionel Locomotive Smoke Units 101 (30 min 59 sec)
Last edited by rolex0071; Feb 20, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:53 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,655 Posts
Quote:
Ah yes I remember this video well, one of my favorites on YouTube. When I become more familiar with the electrics I'd love for mine to be able to pivot like that! An outstanding video. Thanks!
great video and it demos well why some tugs are Voith drive. you can tell by watching the trust wash as they manuver as it will come from the sides,front, amid ship, stern, and to be able to slide as fast as they do sideways. great manuverability.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:08 PM
Vintage RC buff
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Agreed, watching the sediment and direction of the thrusters gives you a great appreciation of what can be accomplished by these outstanding vessels!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:46 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,434 Posts
I will be back soon with more up-dates on how my Tug is doing, many thanks for all who look in - Regards Rolex.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:57 PM
Vintage RC buff
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
No worries, I check this thread quite often.
Last edited by tokdl; Feb 20, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:25 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,434 Posts
Quote:
No worries, I check this thread quite often.
Love the mods with the cam belt, Nice one there, i was trying to come up with a way to do that but never got to it in the end. I am going to try to see if i fit smoke to my tug, However, i have my work cut out !
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:48 PM
Vintage RC buff
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex0071 View Post
Love the mods with the cam belt, Nice one there, i was trying to come up with a way to do that but never got to it in the end. I am going to try to see if i fit smoke to my tug, However, i have my work cut out !
I'm anxious to see how it comes out. The factory exhaust ports are kinda thin plastic. One idea is to lop the plastic bits off, sand the stack tower smooth and feed some of this aluminum tubing through the plastic stack tower, then use an automotive brake line tubing bender to make the slight arches you desire.

The tubing I got came from the hobby shop and can be bought in different diameters, also comes in copper too.
Last edited by tokdl; Feb 21, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:39 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,698 Posts
Hello all. I just got this tug. Was thinking of doing some of the mods you guys have already done. Beautiful work! Actually, I got into boats and then realized that I needed a recovery vessel and that's what brought me to this tug. I have yet to try it out, need to install a radio. I have two options. This think also has an Rx built in. I can use the included Tx crystal with a cheap RTF transmitter I have, OR I can use a cheap RTF 2.4G set. At first I thought the 2.4G set would be better because with cars they have more range than my old AM's ever did, but the antenna will sit below decks. Which radio should I use? The 2.4G that came with an Exceed truck (probably made by Flysky) or the stock Rx and the Am Radio that came with an HSP (same brand) buggy, but no telling who made that Tx.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72