HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:15 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twig8 View Post
Make sure you are getting all 14 screws out then give the deck a good pull.
Twig8, tell us about your mods...
capntroy is offline Find More Posts by capntroy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:16 AM
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Aug 2011
1,910 Posts
Hidden screws

They are underneath, GLUED ON, deck bitts. Wiggle/pry gently, and they should come off in one piece. CaptLee, will give you some good advice, as he has my boat, and it was one of the first ones available, when they first came out. I just felt that for competition, my one off, custom tugs, worked better for me. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2012
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex0071 View Post
This is what i am trying to do....get us guys talking about tips like this - well done to you.
haha, thanks btw for those interest in the stock battery performance (7.2v Ni-MH AA 800mAh)

At scale speeds ie very slow I get over an hour of run time, I charge it at 0.8A takes approx one hour. From what I understand NIMH batts need to be cycled a few times before they 'wake up'
LA Summit is offline Find More Posts by LA Summit
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:06 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB View Post
They are underneath, GLUED ON, deck bitts. Wiggle/pry gently, and they should come off in one piece. CaptLee, will give you some good advice, as he has my boat, and it was one of the first ones available, when they first came out. I just felt that for competition, my one off, custom tugs, worked better for me. CaptCB
Thanks for the info - I just had a look today, and i did undo 14 screws last week for sure. I will try again and do what you said.
rolex0071 is offline Find More Posts by rolex0071
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:14 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Just been on to the sellers in the England, and they said that the distributor for the UK called www.Amerang.co.uk do not have spare motor sets for the SH or my boat !!
Last edited by rolex0071; Oct 24, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
877 Posts
rolex Do not worry about it too much, got a couple of others running in my area and they are over a year old, run every weekend and the motor/gearbox holding up very well. Besides if you do blow them you can do like I did and run 385's direct drive. Convert to full size battery and run for 3-4 hrs. Get the deck off yet?
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Mar 2006
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy View Post
Twig8, tell us about your mods...
I haven't done much aesthetically to mine. I put a sabertooth 2x12rc to drive, running a hobbyking orange receiver, all powered by a 2 cell lipo.

Edit: I am running 2 2cell lipos wired in parallel. The stock battery is just in there for ballast right now.
twig8 is offline Find More Posts by twig8
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:47 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee View Post
rolex Do not worry about it too much, got a couple of others running in my area and they are over a year old, run every weekend and the motor/gearbox holding up very well. Besides if you do blow them you can do like I did and run 385's direct drive. Convert to full size battery and run for 3-4 hrs. Get the deck off yet?
O' OK ! So No one has had there motors going on them ! May be the motors are not under the same pressure like the model heli 280 brush motor are.

No i have not had the time to get the deck off as yet.

As for the boat, i only have it a week and i am working on lights for it and a number of steel fittings to the same which will turn a brown colour in time which should make the boat look very old.

Its all up in the air at this time and the photo's at the beginning of this thread ONLY SHOWS my boat at the very beginning of the Mods and i still have a long way to go before its done in total.

Regards - Rolex.
Last edited by rolex0071; Oct 25, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined May 2012
96 Posts
When I first got mine I ran it everyday 1-2 hours each time, for over a week and no motor issues or anything. I don't run it as much now the novelty has worn off but I still enjoy it immensly and as a bonus it's a great display model. Don't worry about the motor etc... just enjoy it
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:13 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Summit View Post
When I first got mine I ran it everyday 1-2 hours each time, for over a week and no motor issues or anything. I don't run it as much now the novelty has worn off but I still enjoy it immensly and as a bonus it's a great display model. Don't worry about the motor etc... just enjoy it
Thanks for the info.
Last edited by rolex0071; Oct 26, 2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:40 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Well i got the top off the boat in the end - Many thanks for all your help.
Here is what i did with the rudder so that the TURNING of the boat would be so much better then the stock one. The movment of the rudders is excellent when done !!
Last edited by rolex0071; Oct 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:04 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee View Post
rolex Besides if you do blow them you can do like I did and run 385's direct drive.
O' Great One, have you a photo of the direct drive set ? Is it a Number of parts ? or Just one big box set you can buy, and where can you get one ?

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined May 2012
96 Posts
Very nice, BTW can you think of a way to grease the two drive shafts? It seems the only way is to remove the props and slide out... seem impossible with the rudders blocking the removal path.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:19 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Summit View Post
Very nice, BTW can you think of a way to grease the two drive shafts? It seems the only way is to remove the props and slide out... seem impossible with the rudders blocking the removal path.
mmmm...i see what your saying, i try to get some WD-40 Down them if i can, but i don't know if that is working. I did oil the drive shafts when i had the top off, i forgot to take a photo, however, you don't need to take the top off to do that from the main gear box. When i do oil them near the gear box i start up my Tug motors hoping that some oil moves down the shaft.

Regards - Rolex
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:59 PM
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Aug 2011
1,910 Posts
Rolex

You want the pushrod in a hole closer in, to the shaft center line, at the rudders. Also, CHECK your rudder arm clearence, VERY closely, as when you increase rudder throw, the steering arms come very close, or can hit, the inside of the hull. But you are headed in the right direction. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB