HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:02 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,434 Posts
Discussion
Mods on the Southampton R.C. Tug boat UPDATED 6-10-2014 Join in and have your SAY !!

INTRODUCTION TO THE THREAD DATED 29-6-2013

THE THREAD SHOWS YOU THE STORY OF THIS TUG BOAT WITH MODS ADDING TO IT OVER TIME AND THE FRIENDSHIP OF MANY OTHER GUYS AND WHAT THEY ARE DOING WITH THERE BOATS. THIS THREAD IS TO HELP OTHERS IN ADDING MODS TO THERE TUG BOAT. THE THREAD GO'S ON TO TELL YOU THE STORY OF HOW MY TUG BOAT WAS LOST AT SEA OFF THE COST OF IRELAND IN DUNDALK BAY NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN, UNTILL A GUY CALLED RICHIE GULIDA WHO WAS WORKING WITH HIS TEAM ON THE BAY CAME ACROSS MY TUG BOAT THE SEA KING DUBLIN AND THEN FOUND ME ON THE NET TO HAND IT BACK TO ME.

I WANT TO GIVE A BIG THANK YOU TO RICHIE GULIDEA WHO SAVE MY TUG BOAT THE SEA KING DUBLIN WHEN HE FOUND IT ON THE BAY, A BIG THANKS TO YOU RICHIE.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Oct 22th 2012

Well i bought the Southampton last week on ebay.co.uk to find out that it was out of stock and all they had left was its sister ship The Southhampton Atlantic Tug in White so i want for that one. Has anyone got this model as i Google it and one photo came up on the net

For you guys out there that are still thinking of getting this model or the other SH then don't wait. First of all i can tell you that on video or in photo's this boat looks small untill you get the box in your door from the postman and open it to see for yourself how big this baby is. Its one fine Model Boat !

I got my one from www.arrowmodels.co.uk and had it in 48 hours which is not bad as it had to come from England to Ireland which is where i live. I have done some light mods to my boat already as you can see in the photos below. I live just 5 mins from the sea so i want out the other day to test the tug, However, i run into problems with fine green seaweed and the motors stop on the boat which the boat was to far out to get to. I waited and restarted the motors and got the boat in

The Next day i want to the park where there was fresh water, However, before i got the boat into the water a number of familys showed up and was watching my every move which put me off running her here again. Just as i was giving up on getting this boat on water i want down to the sea again, the sea this time had no seaweed and it was so cam. So of i want and it all worked out very well. See photo's below.

The Turning of the rudders on this boat is very bad indeed, so with this in mind i want to try to fix this right a way. I tryed to get the main deck off but it looks like its not just screwed on with a high number of the same but my boat deck looks like its glue on as well, so there was no way of getting to the main servo back rudder links to adjust it, so i moved the wire from the main arm of the servo to the lower hole on the arm. This made the rudder move way more then before. I have still to try it out and test it but any move movement in the two rudder's has to be a big + and anything has to better then the factory settings.

The robbe crane looks the part and made the boat look like a kit model, using a high power superglue is the way to go if you know what you are doing, but watch out when working with the same. I am looking into adding smoke, not sure how that will work out. Also i am looking at Sound, However, the ESC has only 7.2v going through it and imay be this should be well left alone ! I am working on Nav Lights for the boat, and the way she's looking will need more input, so i'm not done with the looks.

The Main thing that is going through my mind is this.........

Has anyone burned there motors out yet ?

If so what happen ?

With the mad set up of the motors from what i can see, has anyone out there changed there motors ? If so can you just buy the main unit and refix the new motors to the the boat ?

The battery that comes with this boat is a 7.2v Ni-MH AA 800mAh which needs about 5.5 hours to charged which will give you 20 mins of running time, However, i found that a good 8 hours of charge made my boat run for 45 mins !

Any input on this boat or the other SH will be welcome. I know most of you Guys in the U.S.A. Have the other model called the Atlantic and your input here is also welcome.

Thanks - Rolex.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rolex0071
rolex0071 is offline Find More Posts by rolex0071
Last edited by rolex0071; Oct 06, 2014 at 09:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:25 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
Great lookin boat !

Nice crane too.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:50 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,386 Posts
Nice review.

There are plenty of posts for the Southampton tug, but this is the first
time I have seen the white "Atlantic" version.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
896 Posts
One of my running mates has both versions, came out yesterday with the hull of the SH with the Atlantic Cabin aboard. the only change is the color, rest is interchangable. he has made an insane mod to power, two 550's direct drive. A waterski tug if there ever was one. And it is LiPo battery 3s 4500 35c so it is usable. Already had the seperate esc's, Prop Shop Props, sound system so figure this is the ultimate mod. Pulled 2lb 2oz's on bollard while attempting to put her under with a side roll. Check out the other threads for instructions on taking the deck off. Several hidden screws and a O ring gasket that needs lube to reinstall.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:29 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Great lookin boat !

Nice crane too.
Hi Tim, Thanks for that, i'm still working on it and there's still a lot more to do to get it to look the way i want it to, so i'm going to be doing the mods for some time to come..

WILL POST MORE HERE IN TIME, Photos and Video's !

- Eamon
Last edited by rolex0071; Oct 23, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:34 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee View Post
......... Check out the other threads for instructions on taking the deck off. Several hidden screws and a O ring gasket that needs lube to reinstall.
Many thanks for the input, i did see what i think all of the hidden screws where but there was No luck on getting the main deck off God help anyone that has to replace a motor or motors !!

Have you a link RIGHT to the info on this ?

Many Thanks - Eamon.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:38 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
Nice review.

There are plenty of posts for the Southampton tug, but this is the first
time I have seen the white "Atlantic" version.

Thanks - Yep i did put in the order for the other SH, but it was out of stock, so they asked me if i wan't this one. I was not to happy with what i was buying untill it came in the post and seen that there was a lot you could do the make it stand out !
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:04 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,778 Posts
I think Kmot may have posted the number of screws holding the deck down. The deck isn't glued. There is a seal. I was told by a club member that he had to break off one or two of the deck fittings to get to the screws underneath them.

It may be a blessing in disguise that you got the generic version of the tug. If you altered the Southampton somebody sooner or later would call you on the fact it didn't look like the Wyeforce, which it's modeled after. many guys in our club have had that debate at shows & events. With the Wyeforce being in your part of the world sooner or later you may run across somebody who has seen the full sized boat. With this one you can do anything you like and nobody can claim it's wrong.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:04 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2012
96 Posts
I have a tip for those runnng 2.4 GHz and wanting more range. As everyone know 2.4 antenna wires are short so routing it thru SH specs hides lots of wire under the wheel house and only a tiny bit sticks up. Routing it behind the wheel house (and requiring some trimming) yields a gain of double the wire length that can stick up vertically.
LA Summit is offline Find More Posts by LA Summit
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:35 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2012
96 Posts
This is not mine but another modded SH
LA Summit is offline Find More Posts by LA Summit
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:01 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Mar 2006
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex0071 View Post
Many thanks for the input, i did see what i think all of the hidden screws where but there was No luck on getting the main deck off God help anyone that has to replace a motor or motors !!

Have you a link RIGHT to the info on this ?

Many Thanks - Eamon.
Make sure you are getting all 14 screws out then give the deck a good pull.
twig8 is offline Find More Posts by twig8
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:52 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twig8 View Post
Make sure you are getting all 14 screws out then give the deck a good pull.
Thanks will try again - i think i did 10 to 12 screws but the top part would not move.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:54 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Summit View Post
I have a tip for those runnng 2.4 GHz and wanting more range. As everyone know 2.4 antenna wires are short so routing it thru SH specs hides lots of wire under the wheel house and only a tiny bit sticks up. Routing it behind the wheel house (and requiring some trimming) yields a gain of double the wire length that can stick up vertically.
This is what i am trying to do....get us guys talking about tips like this - well done to you.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:56 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Summit View Post
This is not mine but another modded SH
Looks like someone has the same outlook to this model as myself, nice photo's, i will be doing more to my model soon.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:01 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prins Willem View Post
I think Kmot may have posted the number of screws holding the deck down. The deck isn't glued. There is a seal. I was told by a club member that he had to break off one or two of the deck fittings to get to the screws underneath them.

It may be a blessing in disguise that you got the generic version of the tug. If you altered the Southampton somebody sooner or later would call you on the fact it didn't look like the Wyeforce, which it's modeled after. many guys in our club have had that debate at shows & events. With the Wyeforce being in your part of the world sooner or later you may run across somebody who has seen the full sized boat. With this one you can do anything you like and nobody can claim it's wrong.
Thanks for the excellent info - By the way, has anyone bruned there 280 motors out on this boat ? I know from heli flying the brush 280 motors would brun out with in weeks of using them !!

There's No rc Boat clubs here in Ireland, and your right about what you are saying, i think i can mod away with out anyone saying anything......untill i show you guys that is
Last edited by rolex0071; Oct 24, 2012 at 03:27 AM.